Are you a runner? or want to be?

Options
Anybody here a fan of running? I've incorporated a MAJOR goal into my weight loss journey: I'm running my first Half-Marathon in January!

I'm looking for some friends for some shared motivation and inspiration.

Thanks!

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Yes! I ran 5k for the first time yesterday- it felt amazing! I have a hard time motivating myself to get out there and run, but I really want to run a 10k at some point. Feel free to add me!
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first 5k next month, and would LOVE to have some supportive runner buddies :) Feel free to add me too!
  • PamelaLavender
    PamelaLavender Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Not there yet, but it's one of my major goals as well. I've done a few 5k's so far.

Much success on reaching your goal.
  • babooshca
    Options
    I started running earlier this year, and did a 5k and a 10k, it felt so good. I've really let myself down recently, and haven't run at all for a few months now; I don't know how it happened. Really trying to motivate myself to get back out there, but finding it tough with the nights drawing in.

Good luck for the 1/2 marathon.
  • BerylX
    BerylX Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just finished C25K and am moving on to Freeway to 10K (Did Week 1 Day 2 this morning - it was great!!!!)

I used to run over a year ago ( 5 and 10k`s) until a respitory illness prevented me just until late this summer to start all over again!

I would love to have some running friends!!! Good luck everyone with your training!!
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My BFF and I just ran MY first her second Half!! It was great... on the east coast at Hampton Beach in the middle of Hurrican Ophelia!! yup... RAIN, sleet, wind COLD....
    It was a goal I had wanted to achieve, but gave up on the training for some reason or another... and ran it cold..... I gotta say, I don't recommend it... but now I KNOW I CAN DO IT!! and we are lining up a few more.... and maybe even a full marathon.
    Neither of us are elite runners or even the "runner type" with the physique....

Anyone can run. It is FREE.... except for the sneakers!! :)
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    No! I absolutely HATE running. It's a necessary evil that I run on the tread mill at the gym because many (including me) feel it's the best cardio you'll get at most gyms. Now my gym also has a pool. I'm a lil scared to attempt real swimming b/c I used to be a swimmer and .... well, I'll expect too much too soon.

Yes, I'm afeared.
  • FAVOLOSOMII
    FAVOLOSOMII Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    That's great! Congratulations!

I just started the C25K program myself and am looking forward to my first 5K.
  • RNMDFF
    RNMDFF Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I really want to be!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Half marathoner here! Feel free to add me. :)
    Good luck with your training!
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Runner here! just finished my 12th marathon this month and am now starting to train for lucky #13 which is where i am going all out to set a new PR and qualify to run in the boston marathon. I have done 9 half marathons and a ton of 10k's (if i could afford it i would do a race almost every weekend).

for new runners, the best thing you can do is to join a running club, great motivation and people to give you tips, new friends and the time and the miles fly by. if you have trouble finding one then talk to the people at a running store -they often organize their own clubs- or look on meet up.
  • albali
    albali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I have ONE session left (week 9 day 3) of C25K, and I am doing my first 5k at the start of November. I'd love to do a half marathon, but I fear my knees and ankles won't let me! However, I will be trying!! Feel free to add me, and very, very good luck with the training. What point of your training are you at now?
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm definately NOT a runner. Psychologically, it's really hard to push myself into running at all, let alone a marathon.

That being said, I signed up for my first 5K this past spring with no training, just to see how in shape or NOT in shape I actually was. I was proud that I crossed the finish line, but was embarrased at my time: 43:26.

It motivated me to actually train for a 5K. It was hellish, but I could see my body changing within the first few weeks. I ran my second 5K two weeks ago, except this one was extra hilly (my first was practically flat). My time was 44:16... a little worse, but considering how hilly it was, I feel that, in a way, I beat my personal best.

Now I'm going to train for an adventure race in the spring (obstacle course and running). I have to keep working at my running time, but now I need to incorporate weight training in a major way!

It's tough.... but I really want to be a runner. I just need to get the mindset somehow!

Shannon
  • cduffrun
    cduffrun Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t consider myself a runner per say, as it’s really hard psychologically for me to motivate myself to keep going; especially once the miles start adding up. But I do always feel better after I’ve run which helps me to keep at it. That being said, I am also training to run my first 10k. I’ve done a few 5ks in the past but it’s been a while so I’m going to work my way back up to a 10k. Would love to have some running friends so fee free to add me! Good luck on your half-marathon!
  • eviledna
    eviledna Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    good luck with your run, i keep trying C25K but struggle - don't really like running just think it's good for toning and fat burning, hope it all goes well 4 u x
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 7 of C25K, and I've signed up for my first race ever, Nashville's Zombie Buffet 5K next Saturday (OMG, just a week away!). I can't say I enjoy actually running, but love the feeling of accomplishment I have after each run I complete. Every time I run, I go a little farther, a little faster, and I love that! Friends request sent. :smile:
  • AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    This is great! It's awesome to meet so many people.

So, anybody doing any races this weekend?

Or what's the running goal for this weekend?

I have a 7 mile run planned for Sunday. It's the first time I've ever run this far at once. I'm scared/nervous/anxious all at once. :)
  • wifeygonzo
    wifeygonzo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your goal for a 1/2 marathon! I'm a runner, not a very good runner, I'm very slow, but I still enjoy it. I've run several 5k, two 1/2 marathons & one marathon. I really enjoy running the 1/2 marathon. Which 1/2 M will you be running?
  • manda127
    manda127 Posts: 145
    Options
    More of a plodder than a runner here but I completed my first half marathon last month and just signed up for my second in six months time!

Good luck with yours, and try to enjoy your training!
  • Jenners4
    Jenners4 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm definately NOT a runner. Psychologically, it's really hard to push myself into running at all, let alone a marathon.

That being said, I signed up for my first 5K this past spring with no training, just to see how in shape or NOT in shape I actually was. I was proud that I crossed the finish line, but was embarrased at my time: 43:26.

It motivated me to actually train for a 5K. It was hellish, but I could see my body changing within the first few weeks. I ran my second 5K two weeks ago, except this one was extra hilly (my first was practically flat). My time was 44:16... a little worse, but considering how hilly it was, I feel that, in a way, I beat my personal best.

Now I'm going to train for an adventure race in the spring (obstacle course and running). I have to keep working at my running time, but now I need to incorporate weight training in a major way!

It's tough.... but I really want to be a runner. I just need to get the mindset somehow!

Shannon

Good Work!! I read this somewhere ................ "No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch"