40/30/30 or 40/40/20 for fat loss?

Options
Trying to lost the last 5 lbs and wondered what seems to work best for people out there. 40/30/30 protein/carbs/fat, or 40/40/20? Thanks :)

Replies

• MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    40/30/30
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MyCoachNYLA
    Options
    P.S. 50/30/20 is also for excellerated fat loss FYI - but can be hardcore for most.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    50/30/20 is doable for me, as I incorporate protein into 5-6 meals a day, but would you recommend that over 40/30/30, specifically if you're looking to retain as much lean mass as possible while cutting fat?
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    bump!
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    I've been doing pretty well with 50 to 55% fat, 30% protein, 20 to 15 % carbs. My carbs all come from veggies, the occasional piece of fruit, nuts and a drizzle of honey here and there.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    Options
    50/30/20 is doable for me, as I incorporate protein into 5-6 meals a day, but would you recommend that over 40/30/30, specifically if you're looking to retain as much lean mass as possible while cutting fat?

yes.

I actually stripped 8 pounds of fat off in 3 weeks with a 6 day a week training program (rigorous) and spared no lean mass with that ratio, but again, hardcore relative to energy levels etc. It's not something I would stay with for long term but just as a tool to get the last 5-10 pounds off that are stubborn for most.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Setting up your diet based on percentages can be problematic.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/diet-percentages-part-2.html

Instead, you should set your calories, protein, and minimum EFA goals (in grams) then fill in the rest however you like.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Setting up your diet based on percentages can be problematic.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/diet-percentages-part-2.html

Instead, you should set your calories, protein, and minimum EFA goals (in grams) then fill in the rest however you like.

I am curious on what this means I have heard that before
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

I am curious on what this means I have heard that before

ditto
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Did you read the article?
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    It essentially means that you need to aim for a certain amount of, for example, protein based on what your body needs (such as 1 gram for every pound of body weight) rather than as a certain percentage of your total caloric intake. If you are only eating 1200 calories a day, and 40% of that is "supposed to be" protein, you may still be deficient (or over) in protein based on what your body actually needs.