I just started dieting and now AHHHHH!!

Hey everybody..tell me your secrets...
I just started dieting on the 7th of december. my goal is to lose 100lbs.
So far so good i've dropped seven maybe more...
but i'm about to start my monthly...you know period...:sad:
NOW what I want is chocolate and macaroni and cheese ....in fact I just ate 400 calories in one meal
because i cant handle the pressure...now i've wasted it on crap. and i'll be hungry in an hour....
what am I to do?
my question is....When your will power takes a dump and your hormones are your worst nightmare...
whats the trick...
help!!

sheri:noway:

Replies

• Hey everybody..tell me your secrets...
    I just started dieting on the 7th of december. my goal is to lose 100lbs.
    So far so good i've dropped seven maybe more...
    but i'm about to start my monthly...you know period...:sad:
    NOW what I want is chocolate and macaroni and cheese ....in fact I just ate 400 calories in one meal
    because i cant handle the pressure...now i've wasted it on crap. and i'll be hungry in an hour....
    what am I to do?
    my question is....When your will power takes a dump and your hormones are your worst nightmare...
    whats the trick...
    help!!

sheri:noway:
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    I try to move past it...I will exercise or leave the house. If I can make it past that "point" of meltdown then I am usually good....drink hot lemon water...just some suggestions.

dd
  • :smile: Try chewing gum. It keeps your mouth satisfied with chewing on something and keeps your mind off of food. That's what I do and it really helps. Good Luck!
  • MIDGEKIN
    MIDGEKIN Posts: 113
    Try caffine free hot teas that have a sweet taste to them like pepermint tea by Celestial it has no sugar, cals, carbs but the right amount of sweetness, and since its hot you feel full, plus it helps with cramps!!
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    These are great ideas,
    Your body is going through some changes and it needs energy during that time of month.
    SO this is why we crave carbs. Carbs give you energy.
    SO, if all else fails try fruit. Apples are pretty good. Fool yourself intop thinking they are a desert by cooking them in the microwave for a couple of min. (Cut in 1/2. Cored, Sitting in a bowl 1/3 full of water. with cinnimon on top.)
    Take out a spoon and enjoy. :heart:
    The apple will fill you and the cinnamin will slow the cravings. :flowerforyou:
    --Diann...
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    400 calories in one meal is a problem because?????

Perspective. Calm. You will not stop dieting because of one meal. Be positive.
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    I allow myself some dark chocolate during this time of month, and I save it until the end of the day...something to look forward to. And for saltiness...popcorn. I also like an apple cinnamon rice cake with PB. These are yummy! (And filling!) And make sure to drink tons of water and get to the gym. A workout will make you feel better, even though it sucks getting yourself there! Hopefully this helps!

*Kistinbee*
  • Gats
    Gats Posts: 42
    :smile: Try chewing gum. It keeps your mouth satisfied with chewing on something and keeps your mind off of food. That's what I do and it really helps. Good Luck!

Me thinks ,

chewing gum prepares your stomach for something thats NOT coming, thats cruel. :sad:
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    These are great ideas,
    Your body is going through some changes and it needs energy during that time of month.
    SO this is why we crave carbs. Carbs give you energy.
    SO, if all else fails try fruit. Apples are pretty good. Fool yourself intop thinking they are a desert by cooking them in the microwave for a couple of min. (Cut in 1/2. Cored, Sitting in a bowl 1/3 full of water. with cinnimon on top.)
    Take out a spoon and enjoy. :heart:
    The apple will fill you and the cinnamin will slow the cravings. :flowerforyou:
    --Diann...

Ooooo, I forgot about stewed apples! I ate them all the time as a kid! Thanks!

Also, IRON IRON IRON! That is why you crave CHOCOLATE! Take a supplement.
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Don't obsess about food. Distract yourself. Read a book, focus hard on something, go for a walk -- do anything but watch TV. Drink a whole bunch of water and green tea. Portion out your food before you eat it, and when you do eat, sit down and take your time. Don't go back for seconds until 20 minutes have passed. Tyr not to focus so much on what you're eating as *how much,* at least at first.

Then, slowly, phase out "bad" foods, but don't deprive yourself completely. Eat the best quality food you can possibly afford, but in smaller quantities (you'll find the whole experience more enjoyable and you'll be tempted to eat less). Keep chemicals out of your diet. Don't think non-fat means "good for you." These foods are often laden with trans fats, hydrogenated oils, and other garbage that will thwart your overall goals for good health if abused.

Keep healthy snacks in reach.

Move your body every single day. Doesn't matter what, at first, just do it. When you're too tired, just do it anyway. Just don't do it when you have the flu (personal experience). When you start to see results, make it harder. Change it up. Don't live by the scale. Live by the two fs - how you "feel" and the "fit" of your clothes. Measure yourself if you must to convince yourself that X body part is not getting "bulked up" or larger. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat.

If you don't have it, you won't eat it. Don't buy the foods that tempt you. Purge them from your home, regardless of what your family / roomies / live-in partner thinks.

But, do eat. The more activity you do, the more calories you need. Do not attempt to eat less than what you need. It's as bad as overeating, and totally counterproductive.

And, the number one rule: forget about all-or-nothing thinking. Be hard on yourself. Kick your own *kitten*. Try as hard as you can (we all know what our "personal best" constitutes). And then kick it up to 11. And when you do falter, as you inevitably will, seeing as you are not a robot, resist all urge to throw your hands up in the air and proclaim "Obviously I'm a failure, I can't do this, I will now inhale this entire tray of crazy bread! (again, personal experience). One small deviation does not equal total system meltdown. It equals one small deviation, and it's already in the past.

That's just about all I've learned in the past three months! Hope this helps!
  • savanuh
    savanuh Posts: 52 Member
    yup i really do think the chewing gum works i walways do it
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    One step and and one day at a time. Positive thoughts and lots of support.:flowerforyou:
  • diann...

i love that apple idea...i'm gonna try that. i'm not a fan of apples regularly, but i used to love apple pie. since i don't do sweets, i've not apple pie in ages, but that litle microwave fix you described, sounds close and yummy!!

terri
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    that apple idea it tops. I have to try it right away, like for dinner. I eat an apple everyday. the fiber and macro?nutrients are very good for you.
    don't worry about 400 calories at one meal.
    that's about right, out of 1200 ...you just had your snack and your cheat at the same meal. :bigsmile: PLAN on your next girl week. if you know when its coming, put something up for it you know you can have, exercise a bit more before hand. drink extra fluids. use all this wonderful advice and QUIT using it as an excuse to have crap....(although you can have both those things you mentioned if you have the right kind of pasta and cheese, and the right portions. ) and everyone knows chocolate is mandatory for a healthy heart...(man, do I love the guy who came up with that!!) you can do this, don't beat yourself up over it. pretty soon, your idea of a cheat will be that extra slice of ww bread, :heart:
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Chewing gum makes me more hungry - the body is anticipating something and getting nothing but an excess of digestive fluid.

This will be a monthly occurance, so get prepared to handle it each time.

My personal survival strategy is to indulge in a cup of hot chocolate at night. It's much better (calories wise) than a piece of chocolate. It is so soothing and fills my craving. The reduced calorie and fat varieties work well, but there is a new dark chocolate kind that is out and it keeps all the rest of my cravings quieted down.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    You need to start planning ahead and get rid of the stuff in your house that isn't good for you to begin with, and don't use the excuse that the kids or hubby or whoever will miss because they won't.

Keep healthier options in the house and you will find you just start eatting healthier. Take calcium supplements, this is a proven fact, they help reduce the effects of PMS, I take 1 a day and closer to my period I take 2 and it actually helps with cramps, cravings all that stuff.

And for crying out loud, don't beat yourself up just work hard to do better next time, we all have our moments and we lived, you will too! :flowerforyou:
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    my tried and true snack is 3/4 applesauce whipped together with 2tblp of cool whip free wisk together with a little cinnamon makes a yummy 100 calorie snack. Apples have pectin which will keep you full longer. Although when I started I chewed sugar free gum constantly.
  • I just kicked my own *kitten* and did tae bo....I dont feel so guilty now I actually only went over 50 calories according to that data thingy.
    Billy blanks is no joke...i've never been in shape..so i'm not getting back into shape i'm simply trying to get into shape....
    My favorite excuse is my kids...i'm so busy so busy so busy...well I asked them to work out with me...the 6 year old has soooo much energy so it was great...and it actually settled them down a little so maybe they will be ready for bed soon....
    :flowerforyou: