Logging wood chopping as exercise

Options
Hey all, This may be a new one for yall, but I split and stack firewood every fall for heat in the winter. I then have to bring it in daily for heat. My question is how do I log this as my exercise?

Replies

• icandothistrish85
    Options
    Wood Chopping is deemed Strength Training, I do it with weights in my ST Circuit.
  • jillinthbox
    jillinthbox Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I do exactly the same. Just finished 10 cord! I log it under Splitting Firewood (approx 432 cal/hour for a 150lb person).

Keep it up!
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Go to cardiovascular and type in "chopping wood". It's actually listed!!!:wink:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I just dropped a log a few minutes ago...

The usual recommendation would be to invest in a HRM and log the amount of calories burned as a new cardio exercise.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Wood Chopping is deemed Strength Training, I do it with weights in my ST Circuit.
    It is actually listed under cardio.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options

The usual recommendation would be to invest in a HRM and log the amount of calories burned as a new cardio exercise.

But did you exert any effort in doing so? Or was it effortless. If it required minimal effort, I think you shouldn't track it.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Here's an exercise calorie burn list of more choices. It's geared according to your personal weight, etc. If I was doing that today, at my present weight: 60 minutes of chopping wood = 315 calories.

LINK: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calories.php?WeightPounds=110.4&WeightKg=&exertype=&highcal=0&minutes=60&order=NAME
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    Hey all, This may be a new one for yall, but I split and stack firewood every fall for heat in the winter. I then have to bring it in daily for heat. My question is how do I log this as my exercise?
    As weight training. This is a great workout by the way and I simulate it with clients on cable machines.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

But did you exert any effort in doing so? Or was it effortless. If it required minimal effort, I think you shouldn't track it.

Last time I checked, I burned 28 calories for 22 minutes. I suppose not much effort was put into it.
  • cisssiesue
    Options
    There is always plenty of effort when we split. Usually splitting takes apx 2 weeks in the fall, then stacking and hauling it in each day.

[/quote]