social life in college

Options
Hi all :) I feel like since i started really watching my calories and trying to get the weight off that I tend to isolate myself from my friends. They go out and party on the weekends which involves drinking and I don't go out anymore really because I have tried to stay away from the alcohol. I'm under 21 so I find it pointless to go pay 10 bucks to get in to the bars here in my college town and not drink. it's like a waste of money...anyone else on here been successful in college with weekend partying? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Replies

• cpotter4
    cpotter4 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I say go have fun partying, if you are willing to pay the $10. Going out to the bar could actually count towards your exercise, do you like to dance? Dancing is a great way to burn calories, just grab some of your girlfriends and head to the dance floor during your favorite song. Work up a sweat and order a ginger ale. If you are in to the looking ccol/older thing the ginger ale looks like a beer, but it is also one of the lowest calorie pops you can get without ordering a diet pop (diet pop often contains sweeteners that are bad for you. Such as diet pepsi. The reason diet pepsi is sweet is because of aspartame, which can cause mental retardation in VERY large doses for adults and can harm small children easier. It can also cause birth defects). Plus, ginger ale goes into many mixed alcoholic drinks, so the bar is sure to have it.
  • newbba43
    Options
    I've always been concerned about that myself. My personal philosophy is to not go over 3 drinks, I think it's a pretty good balancing act to where you can have fun and have a couple of drinks but still not feel completely guilty. Just avoid drinks with soda in them! For us here, we don't go to the bars but we hang out at our house and invite a couple of friends over. It's cheaper and we don't need to worry about spending so much at the bar. My roommate has lost 70+ pounds since January and she still casually drinks some weekends. One of her favorite drinks is a cake flavored vodka mixed with orange juice, tastes like a creamsicle. As for the going out aspect, see if your friends would want to go somewhere else that the main focus isn't drinking. Me and my friends like to go to movie nights or we have game night at our house. We also look for fun things to do around campus, or downtown. There's lots of free shows and things to do, and i'm sure there is by you, just do some research. Hope this helps!

And if anyone else has suggestions I'd love some new ones as well! :)
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    It can definitely be hard I've struggled with this as well you feel like you don't want to waste a whole weeks hard work on one night of binge drinking that may or may not be followed by eating more crappy food. However, I do believe you need to find a balance you should still have a social life and on the other hand your friends should understand where you're coming from. I typically don't go out every weekend but do pick and choose going out once a week and having a couple drinks is not going to completely compromise your weeks worth of hard work. A slight set back? Yes maybe, but if you can follow it with a hard cardio session the day after well certainly help to level out the extra calorie intake.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Yes, find time to balance everything. As a choice, I chose not to party and drink, etc. I've done it a few times (have drinks) and it's just not who I am and I just don't like it. But I like to go out to dinners with friends, etc so that's my college social life. It just takes will power and of course when you drink, drink in moderation. :)
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    It was so hard to resist alcohol for me and it was such a problem... I realize it now. I managed to keep away from it for a while now and balance everything out, its not so hard but you have to put some effort in... stay strong!
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    Get a bf that share your passion for health and fitness, instead of partying you could enjoy a weekend away with him and go hiking...spend the evening together cooking and drinking a glass of wine.