grad money

Options
amymeenieminymo
amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
I just finished grad school....my grandma game me $50 (I heart my grandma) and I suspect my dad and my inlaws may give me something. Not a ton, we're probably talking $100-150 total. I'm wondering what I should do with it though.

My work paid for my tuition, but I still had some fees here and there like books, registration fees etc that they didn't cover, so that in total came to about $3500. My dad covered these costs for the last few years so now I owe him back. Part of me feels like I should use the money wisely, put it toward paying him back (though my dad is amazing and I could honestly take the next 10 years to pay him back and he wouldn't care) or put it toward other bills.

But at the same time I kind of feel like I should treat myself with it....it's gift money for a big accomplishment, I should enjoy it. I was thinking about getting a Kindle for christmas, so maybe instead I could buy it with grad money.....or maybe a new designer purse. Hmm, what would you do with it? Save, spend on a treat or spend on practical stuff?

Replies

• BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Enjoy :wink:
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I would put half in savings and spend the rest on a treat to myself. Probably shoes.
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The money is ment to be a gift for you, you should be able to go out and treat your self with it. We work hard for the money we make and it tends to go to bills, so I try to spend birthfay money on me instead of house hold things cause thats what it is ment for, they want you to get what you want.
  • nickiLee07
    nickiLee07 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Life is to short, enjoy it!!! :)

1. you will always have bills so don't waste it there
    2. this is a big accomplishment so treat yourself
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,978 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I just finished grad school last May, and I went on a trip to celebrate. I say celebrate!!!
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    I'd offer it back to the dad who has helped so much. He probably won't take it but at least you offered. If he doesn't take it then you are free to do as you please and enjoy it :)

Congrats on your accomplishment!
  • havs23
    havs23 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    your accomplishment deserves a reward and that's how they probably want you to use it :) the bills will still be there in the end anyway
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    I'd offer it back to the dad who has helped so much. He probably won't take it but at least you offered. If he doesn't take it then you are free to do as you please and enjoy it :)

Congrats on your accomplishment!
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Congratulations...
    Your dad would be offended if you gave hime this money back! A gift is truly a gift, don't overlook it! It's a minimal amount of money..if it were $1000 or more, I may think twice, but if you feel guilty..Take everyone to dinner on you! Or go get your hair and nails done....Just look at it as a gift of honor for a job well done! YOU DESERVE TO BE PROUD OF YOURSELF, now go splurge a little.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    It's a gift, so go out and buy yourself something nice!!

You can start saving when you get that first paycheck!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Your father brought you into this world, and I am sure he would rather you spend the money on yourself...he is most likely very proud of you!

If you want to give back, maybe through a small party and thank everyone for being so kind to you, and supportive.