WoW is this really possible?

Options
2»

Replies

• 1goodymom67
    Options
    Woohoo!! I want that HRM. Seriously, maybe b/c you were working. So, I'd go with it.
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    What you do have to take into consideration is how many calories your body would have burned by just lying in bed for that same length of time. To get your true caloric burn doing a specific activity, you would subtract your basal metabolic caloric burn (for the amount of time you were engaged in the activity) from the total caloric burn shown on your HRM. I don't really understand why people would say that you shouldn't count cleaning house as a caloric burn. If you clean like I do, I am sweaty when I finish, so I know I am burning some calories. Also, people need to take into consideration that everyone is going to burn at a different rate depending on your age, weight, sex, height, etc. So, unless they know all of that information (assuming you have it programmed in your HRM acurately and you own a good quality HRM) no one can really give you a definitive answer to this question.
  • armymil
    armymil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Not sure if someone has said it already. Sorry in advanced!

Basically, have to do this one way or the other. If you use "sedentary" or whatever option you choose from MFP, you can't count cleaning. This is part of that formula.

On the other hand, if you want to do the formulas yourself to be near 100% accurate, then you have to count the calories minus the amount of calories that you would have been doing. If you normally sit on the couch, find out how many calories you burn sitting down then subtract the 2 to find what you should add to MFP.

If you burned 200 sitting on the couch in the same amount of time, but 400 while cleaning, you should use 200.

I am out of hands, but one other option is to do the basic rate at which you burn calories using those formulas out there and count EVERYTHING from walking to sitting to lying down, etc. Then you can add these calories at 400. But this requires daily monitoring.