Emotional eating

Options
I used to think that I was just a 'bored' eater and not an emotional eater. That all changed today when, after arguing with a family member on the phone at work, I came home and polished off a container of choc chip cookie dough. I was so motivated this morning to stick to healthy food today. I'm really frustrated with myself over this.

WARNING... rant below.... I just need to get this out cause it's really really bothering me.

I'm so frustrated with my family too. I didn't meet my real father until I was 18 (I'm 26 now), shortly after meeting him I left for the Army and after the Army I moved to a different state for college. I've NEVER had time to just spend bonding with him because not too long after I met him, his conniving girlfriend tricked him into having kids (she said she was on birth control both times and he actually believed her... I know she tricked him because she told me later when we were alone that "men never want children and you have to trick them into having kids if you want any... thing is... she has 7... SEVEN other children by her first husband.) My little brother is 5 now, my little sister is 2. He lives with her and she completely controls his life. He wants to come visit me for a week in March, but she plans everything and doesn't want him to go alone. All I want is time to spend with my father and she is being a giant pain in the butt about it and either wants to come along with him or wants to send one of the kids with him. She and their two kids get him all year long... can't I get him for a week??!! And I just wish my dad would grow a pair and tell her off. I hate to seem like the jeolous older child, expecially because I am a full grown adult... but this is ridiculous. His other kids will get to grow up with their dad. I never had and and will never have the bond they will have. UGH.

Those of you that actually made it this far, thanks for reading... sorry it's so long. I just had to vent all of that out before I polished off some ice cream as well LOL. I'm off to go eat some celery LOL.

Replies

• flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    I used to think that I was just a 'bored' eater and not an emotional eater. That all changed today when, after arguing with a family member on the phone at work, I came home and polished off a container of choc chip cookie dough. I was so motivated this morning to stick to healthy food today. I'm really frustrated with myself over this.

WARNING... rant below.... I just need to get this out cause it's really really bothering me.

I'm so frustrated with my family too. I didn't meet my real father until I was 18 (I'm 26 now), shortly after meeting him I left for the Army and after the Army I moved to a different state for college. I've NEVER had time to just spend bonding with him because not too long after I met him, his conniving girlfriend tricked him into having kids (she said she was on birth control both times and he actually believed her... I know she tricked him because she told me later when we were alone that "men never want children and you have to trick them into having kids if you want any... thing is... she has 7... SEVEN other children by her first husband.) My little brother is 5 now, my little sister is 2. He lives with her and she completely controls his life. He wants to come visit me for a week in March, but she plans everything and doesn't want him to go alone. All I want is time to spend with my father and she is being a giant pain in the butt about it and either wants to come along with him or wants to send one of the kids with him. She and their two kids get him all year long... can't I get him for a week??!! And I just wish my dad would grow a pair and tell her off. I hate to seem like the jeolous older child, expecially because I am a full grown adult... but this is ridiculous. His other kids will get to grow up with their dad. I never had and and will never have the bond they will have. UGH.

Those of you that actually made it this far, thanks for reading... sorry it's so long. I just had to vent all of that out before I polished off some ice cream as well LOL. I'm off to go eat some celery LOL.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater too...and family stuff is always the hardest! I know it sounds stupid, but when I get upset i try to work out instead of eating...it makes me feel much better than food and I dont feel guilty after! Not that it always works (sometimes the food wins :blushing: ).

Just work out and finish your day the best you can! Tomorrow is a new day!!!:flowerforyou:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    wow! i would have eaten the cookie dough as well!

listen, that chick is nuts. is there any way for you to reason with her? i expect it is nearly impossible considering how irrational she obviously is. i would try to take it day by day and stay in contact with your dad as often as possible. he really does need to grow a pair, no offense. maybe offer for him to visit now, alone, then their family come out a few months later as a group? that is the best i got, sorry, probably not much help :ohwell:
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    I'm a bored eater, so that's why I don't buy any unhealthy snacks. If I do, I'll eat 'em. Outta sight, outta mind.
  • bootsnspurs4horses
    Options
    I like to workout when I'm mad too. Or upset. . or something just eating at me. I have noticed that will burn up to 200 more calories while working out if I have something heavy on my mind. And boy do I feel GREAT,. . . really tired. . .but GREAT !!

Family is family !! She's insecure . . . she'll never outgrow it !!
  • dkell
    dkell Posts: 408 Member
    Options

You've gotta right to feel the way you do. :huh: :huh: You have had a lot on your plate your whole life. Maybe if you write how you feel in a letter to your dad it would make him understand where your comming from. :smile: I sometimes write down how I feel because I can express myself better.:happy:
    Wish you good luck on your bonding with your dad. Everyone needs family.:heart::heart: