Athletic people, what am I doing wrong?

Options
In looking through my calender I see that back in February I weighed 136.5. We are now in October, and I weigh 133.

Now I workout at least 9 times a week. I do spinning, running, weight lifting. I completed the Insanity program and am now doing the P90X/ Insanity hybrid. In addition to that, I go to the gym 3 times a week in addition to the 6 weekly workouts from P90X. I weigh and measure everything I eat. I wear a HRM as to know my exact calorie burn. I drink between 10-12 cups of water.

I'm beginning to feel that busting my butt is not worth it because at the end of the day I do not lose. Now with that said yes I have gone down in inches and I have become much more toned overall. But am I going to stay at 133 pounds for the rest of my life?

I know I'm in the healthy range, I'm 5'2, my BMI is decent (24%) but I know I can do better than this and its just not happening. I do not consider this a plateau as it has been 8 months. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    In looking through my calender I see that back in February I weighed 136.5. We are now in October, and I weigh 133.

Now I workout at least 9 times a week. I do spinning, running, weight lifting. I completed the Insanity program and am now doing the P90X/ Insanity hybrid. In addition to that, I go to the gym 3 times a week in addition to the 6 weekly workouts from P90X. I weigh and measure everything I eat. I wear a HRM as to know my exact calorie burn. I drink between 10-12 cups of water.

I'm beginning to feel that busting my butt is not worth it because at the end of the day I do not lose. Now with that said yes I have gone down in inches and I have become much more toned overall. But am I going to stay at 133 pounds for the rest of my life?

I know I'm in the healthy range, I'm 5'2, my BMI is decent (24%) but I know I can do better than this and its just not happening. I do not consider this a plateau as it has been 8 months. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    What's your calorie intake? You also may be training too much.
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    At first I was taking in about 1500 cals, when I saw that I wasn't losing I upped it to about 1600-1800. Which is where I'm at now.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Yeah, at first glance I'd say over training. It's easier to do than you might think, especially if you aren't getting enough sleep.
  • mariahhatfield
    Options
    you're definitely training too much. your body needs the day (maybe even two) of rest. most nutritionists recommend working out 4-5 times per week.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I have gone down in inches and I have become much more toned overall.

And you care about a number on a scale why???
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

She's 5'2", it's not unreasonable to want to be below 133.
  • Tyler4846
    Options

• TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    With a quick look at your diary, my guess is that you're not eating back enough of your workout calories. You're leaving a good 200+ calories on the table every day. The times when I plateaued the longest were when I stayed under my calorie limit consistantly. When your workouts are intense and lengthy, you need to eat every calorie you can. Especially if you're doing a lot of P90X and weight training.
  • BigMike75
    BigMike75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    After you workout everyday how close are you to your calorie goal on MFP? It could be you are training way too much and not eating enough calories. Extremely active people have to take in enough food to feed their bodies with no exercise and also to replenish and rebuild after that exercise. Your body might have put itself into starvation mode and is hoarding everything you take in because it is made to survive. If your body thinks you are trying to starve it, it will hold all water and calories you feed it. Try increasing your calorie intake again and also making more of that caloric intake protein, as this is what rebuilds and repairs your muscles. I recommend to all of my people to make their diet ~ 40% protein, 30%carbs, 30% fat and this melts the weight off. You can change this in the goals section of MFP. Then you will know how much to take in in each group.

This could also be genetic. Is every other female in your family about your size?

Mike Veronie
    Dietitian
  • njean888
    Options

I care because 133 is still too much for someone who is 5'2, really 5.1.5. I never expect to get down to my low weight of 116, would never want to but I should weigh between 120-125 pounds even with muscle.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie deficit when you account for all your exercise?

BTW. My friend trains pretty hard but he also keeps his caorie decificit pretty reasonable. 100-200 calorie deficits.

He's been losing pretty steadily
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Taking a full 4-5 days off in a row every 8-10 weeks depending on your training volume and eating slighty above or at maintenance is an excellent way to cycle out of a plateau, help with repairing completely, prevent over training. You can still speed walk, lightly jog or bike easily for 20-30 minutes a day, but nothing crazy, or do yoga, active rest type activities. :)

PS. Edit, are you on BCP? You can PM me the answer because that has a huge deal to do with it.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Hmm... It's hard to tell what's going on with your diet because there isn't enough in your diary... But, based on what I can see there, I'd say the processed foods could be an issue. Also, I'd say unless you net to at least 1,200 calories a day, your body could be in starvation mode, holding on to all it can because you're not eating enough. Finally, you definitely need to give your body a break now and again. Maybe one day a week? Your body needs a day of rest to recouperate. Or if you feel you must do something, do something like yoga to stretch while toning. Also, if you're diabetic like me, no matter what you do, this will be an up hill battle. Insulin makes weight loss very difficult. I hope that you're not diabetic though. Sounds like at least you've had success in losing inches and toning, so that's a great thing!
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

I care because 133 is still too much for someone who is 5'2, really 5.1.5. I never expect to get down to my low weight of 116, would never want to but I should weigh between 120-125 pounds even with muscle.

I'm 5'2 and 154 lb....and i wear a size 6. Shift your focus from the scale to your measurements and body fat percentage.
  • mexy04
    mexy04 Posts: 96
    Options

I'm 5'2 and 154 lb....and i wear a size 6. Shift your focus from the scale to your measurements and body fat percentage.

Damn I'm over here kicking myself in the *kitten* cuz I weight 146 at 5'6. And I'm curvy so I feel like I don't mind the weight but I just want my stomach to go in more...that is all. I was having the same problem as this chick...leaving too much of a deficit.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Wow that's alot of working out! I'd say take a couple rest days - It really does help! You may well be overtraining. I do P90x too as well as the gym 2-4 times a week, but I never do them on the same day (unless its x stretch)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    At first I was taking in about 1500 cals, when I saw that I wasn't losing I upped it to about 1600-1800. Which is where I'm at now.

is that the amount you NET, or just eat regardless of your exercise?
  • mexy04
    mexy04 Posts: 96
    Options

Girl you need to log log log!! Keeping a diary of what u eat is important to know what you are eating, it may be your portions. Get sum fresh fruit and veggies in your life. Way too much on the go. You gots ta pack your lunch. And stop working out so hard. One P90X or insanity at a time its all you need. Rebuilding is part of the fat burning process. You might be starving yourself and in turn your not going to lose any fat. Abs start in the kitchen...try sum healthy soups (homemade) or steam some vegetables. More simple salads with oil and vinegar. Salad dressings will eat u up in calories. Watch your sodium and sugar...unless fruits bc they have alot of sugar anyway.

• njean888
    Options

is that the amount you NET, or just eat regardless of your exercise?
    That's what I eat regardless of exercise.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

Damn I'm over here kicking myself in the *kitten* cuz I weight 146 at 5'6. And I'm curvy so I feel like I don't mind the weight but I just want my stomach to go in more...that is all. I was having the same problem as this chick...leaving too much of a deficit.

I used to want to be 135...until I found out my lean mass is 117 lb. That would have put me at 13% BF....to be at 18% BF I will have to be 145 lb. The scales means nothing to me now, because it doesn't reflect how I look