Switch to Minimalist Shoes

Options
Hi!

I started running this summer at about 4 mph for 15 minutes. Now I'm faster (I haven't timed myself though) and my long runs are about 6 miles. I also just bought some minimalist shoes (Vibram Minimus - trail)! I am so excited! I also tried them out today and I loved them - definitely very different from my Asics though.

For those who have made the switch, how did you transition into them?

Thanks!
Sio

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    I run in my Vibram FiveFingers. Love them. They are the only shoe I can wear and not get shin splints. Plus, I can run further in them. My gait is so different now because you actually land on the ball of your foot first versus your heel. It's way lower-impact. :)
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K in them and switched up every other day to get my calves used to them.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I, too, switched to Vibrams. But very slowly...I was up to 5 miles in regular shoes and now I can do maybe 2 miles in the Vibrams (running with no walking). I like to research things a ton and if the mileage is upped too soon it's tendonitis and stress fractures galore!

I have been using them for about 2 months now and I do love them, but it is going to take a while before I can get the mileage back up to where it was.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Just take it very very slow.
    I'm not an expert, but I can tell you what happened to me in mine...

I bought Vibrams this summer when I started increasing my mileage for a 1/2 marathon. I wore them on a couple of 3-4 mile runs, and they felt GREAT. So then I tried them on my 7 1/2 mile run -- big MISTAKE. I sustained a stress fracture in my heel, because once your muscles get fatigued, your body will transfer the impact from your muscles to your bones. If there's not enough cushion there, BAM.

I still love the feel of the shoes, and the way I feel when I run in them! BUT after seeing a great orthopedist, being booted for a month, and not being able to run on that healing bone for going on 3 months now, it's not worth it to me to run any more than a mile or 2 in them ever again.

According to the orthopedic medical journals, lots of high-end athletes have also been showing up with foot fractures wearing these shoes, because we're just not used to going "barefoot" long distance -- even if we're in tip top shape.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I started running this summer at about 4 mph for 15 minutes. Now I'm faster (I haven't timed myself though) and my long runs are about 6 miles. I also just bought some minimalist shoes (Vibram Minimus - trail)! I am so excited! I also tried them out today and I loved them - definitely very different from my Asics though.

For those who have made the switch, how did you transition into them?

Thanks!
    Sio

I don't minimalist run, though I'm thinking about implementing it as a training tool, but in the form running class I take they talk about it in detail because so many people are trying to make that switch. What they recommend is starting out small, just like when you first started running, but even smaller. Run 1/4 a mile twice a week for a couple of weeks in addition to your normal runs, then up it to 1/2 a mile, then 3/4 a mile. Keep going until you're running two miles twice a week and then start replacing your shorter runs with the minimal runs. In the class they never recommend completely replacing your regular running shoes with minimalist shoes, but I suppose after a certain period of time it is up to the individual runner. :)
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I was thinking of doing maybe two, shorter runs a week in the Minimus and then using my Asics for longer runs until I can build up. I liked them a lot though - the running felt so different!
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    :wink: Start off with low mileage with them...you'll be working your muscles very differently and you WILL get sore! I'd maybe wear them once a week for a little bit and then gradually add them in more often until you adapt to them. I currently wear Saucony Kinvaris and Nike Pegasus, but because of all the shin issues I had with my Kinvaris' I mostly just race in them...I'll use them also for speed work when I implement that into my running program again, but for now I'm loving my Pegasus.

Just give your legs ample time to adjust to them. The biggest thing about switching to them after wearing a typical running shoe is that your body has adapted to running with huge heel cushion and no heel drop, so injuries can occur pretty quickly. My shins were killing me about 2 weeks into using them...and that was running 3-4 times a week going no further than 5 miles.

The most recent research is showing that minimalist shoes aren't for everyone because of that adaptation of wearing a general shoe....so if you've brought them into your runs very gradually and have slowly tried to build your muscles that way and they still hurt you, then go back to a regular shoe.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options

According to the orthopedic medical journals, lots of high-end athletes have also been showing up with foot fractures wearing these shoes, because we're just not used to going "barefoot" long distance -- even if we're in tip top shape.

From everything I have seen, the injuries are from doing too much too soon. On the Barefoot Runners Society website/forums there are a lot of people who do ultras in minimalist footwear with no injuries (except maybe a blister or two!).
  • sephardim
    sephardim Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was a big skeptic of this vibrams, but now I have been using them for a year. I have several pairs, but the bikila our my favorite set. I really didn't have a transition period. They just felt right. Just take you time getting used to them. They come with some instructions on how to get used to them. I think they recommend only wearing them 2 hours a day at first. Check out there site. http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

Also, http://www.travelcountry.com/shop, and http://www.citysports.com/ has some great deals.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    I have Merrell Pace Gloves and love love love them!

I was shadowing a trainer yesterday and he has 2 pairs, another trainer at that gym has 4 pairs! And I thought I had a shoe buying problem!

Start slow and build up mileage. I tend to rotate between the Gloves, New Balance, and Brooks running shoes. I can see more definition in my lower muscles since using the minimalists though :)
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Did you get the New Balance Minimus 10 Trail shoes? If so, let me know how they are for you. I have a pair on order.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I didn't want "finger toe" shoes, but wanted to try something less cushioned so I got a pair of Nike Free Run shoes. LOVE THEM! They immediately changed me from the heel strike stride I had in my Brooks Glycerin shoes to a nice midfoot strike and my knee pain is gone!