Help!

Options
So I started MFP last week. I have been logging in all my food, exercise, etc, but so far I haven't seen any changes on my scales. My wedding is on November 26 and I have to lose weight to fit into my dress, plus I need to lose more even after that (80 lbs). I love to see the "results in 5 wks such and such, but so far I'm not seeing anything. Can anyone help or share some advice???

Replies

• MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    One week can be hard to tell what is working. Please feel free to message me if I can be of any help.
  • litati
    litati Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    dont focus on the scale.. measure yourself instead.. that is what really counts.. I think..
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    make your diary public so we can look at it and give you constructive comments.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Give it more time, you will see results.

It took longer than a week to put on the weight, it will take longer than a week to take it off. Just stick with it, and it will happen. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. It won't happen overnight.

Good luck!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Have you been staying within your calorie goal? Is your diary open so we can make suggestions? You have to burn more calories then you are taking in. Processed and fast foods will slow weight loss. Try to eat clean or as close to whole as you can. Drink lots of water, watch sodium, stay within your goal calories and exercise.
  • loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    dont focus on the scale.. measure yourself instead.. that is what really counts.. I think..

I agree. I have only lost 5 pounds in about a month, but I can tell a big difference in my body shape.
  • patience842003
    Options
    My diary is public. Constructive comments are welcome! :=)
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Usually when my scale isn't budging it's because of my salt and sugar intake are really high and my water intake is really low. If you can get some advice from a trainer on your exercise routine you may be able to tweak things to help on that end.
  • Leesseebee
    Options
    Hey there,
    I understand the frustration you are feeling. There are loads of reasons one might not lose weight...I am not a medical professional, but some of them that I have heard is water retention, hidden calories, STRESS, etc.
    So water retention-are you drinking enough water?
    Hidden calories-are you tracking everything you eat? Do the foods you eat have empty calories, etc? This question might be annoying to hear, I know I would be annoyed, but it is always helpful to take a good hard look at what you are eating, when you are eating (some say night eating is not good...like late/right before bed) and why (stress, saddness, hunger...)
    STRESS-which sounds like it could be a big factor for you can be the undoing for many when trying to lose weight. There are physiological reasons you can look at-cortisol, etc, but in my mind, you know when you clench your jaw and it cannot move-that is stress. Imagine your whole body doing that. Beyond everything else...it has only been a week.
    My understanding of dieting is you have to eat less than you burn at a break even point. But not loads less.
    Basically, don't starve yourself and do not over-indulge.
    And try to find other ways to deal with stress than be mad at your body for not losing weight. Sort of like a watched pot never boils...put the steps in and trust your body is doing what it needs to.
    If you stagnate for a while and you do not feel well, contact a medical professional to explore serious concerns like thyroid, etc. But if you do not think it is a medical problem, be gentle, take one step at a time and hang in there. I believe you will succeed :)
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    A week isn't very long. Give it some more time. Congratulations on your wedding!!! How much do you think you need to lose to fit into the dress. I've been doing this for four months and the scales have stopped moving but the inches are coming off and I can see a real change in how my clothes fit. Good luck and let us know how it's going!!!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    A week isn't very long. Give it some more time. Congratulations on your wedding!!! How much do you think you need to lose to fit into the dress. I've been doing this for four months and the scales have stopped moving but the inches are coming off and I can see a real change in how my clothes fit. Good luck and let us know how it's going!!!
  • mpomer
    mpomer Posts: 9
    Options
    First off, Congrats! Just eat as healthy as you can and get that exercise in. Don't give up :)
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I had a quick look at your diary and it looks great, good balance of food - plus you are exercising too. Sometimes it takes a little while for results to show on the scales - and what you really want is inches lost not pounds off. Do you have to lose much?
    I'd suggest friend some people, and they will support you to where you need to be.
  • patience842003
    Options
    It fit me the last time I was down. I think for it to be comfortable I need to lose 10-15 before the wedding :=)
  • db411
    db411 Posts: 16
    Options
    Be patient. Try not to doing weigh in and measurements every day, you'll get discouraged. Stay focused.
  • EmelyJ
    EmelyJ Posts: 208
    Options
    You might have to give it a few weeks. I didn't start noticing weight lost until the 6th week (on the scale) I didn't see actual results until I lost 20lbs which was a few months later.. weight lose can be very tricky and hard.
  • patience842003
    Options
    I need to lose about 10-15 to fit in my dress, but I think inches would do it because the dress fits in my stomach but is tight in the waist area. Totally I want to lose 100 lbs. There are health problems in my family so I really have to do this.
  • patience842003
    Options
    Thank you! I appreciate everyone's help and support! I know this is the right step for me to be on here!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. please take this as constructive in that I'm giving you ideas to help you reach your goals (in other words, its not going to help you if I tell you your diary is awesome):

1. you are finishing quite a bit above your calorie target on too many days. try to finish a little bit under your calorie goal every day.

2. I would adjust your carbs down and your protein up. I have found that I have my best weeks when I average 100-120 grams of carbs a day (my goal is 1,310 calories a day). I make up the deficit with lean proteins and healthy fats.

3. there are two ways to get your protein count up (I use a combination of both). first, cook your own meals...cook meals with chicken, fish, bison, ground turkey or chicken, and grass fed beef. second, use a protein powder that has at least 20 grams of protein per serving and minimal carbs/fat.

4. along the lines of 2 and 3 above, limit your processed foods and fast food/going out. prepare a menu in advance, go shopping, and cook for yourself (I usually cook 2-3 days worth at a time so I'm not cooking everyday).

5. when you do exercise, if you rely on the MFP estimates, eat back only half of those calories. the MFP estimates are usually high (most folks who have a heart rate monitor have reported MFP estimates being between 30 and 50% too high). so, either eat back only half of the MFP estimates...or get yourself a HRM with a chest strap for a more accurate reading of the calories you burn.

I hope you have a fantastic wedding!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you post again and ask about good ways to tone your midsection if that's where you need the help right now. Would love to advise but my midsection is still very much a work in progress ;-)