Fruits and Veggies or Protein?

Options
With a diet is it better to go with a mainly fruits and vegetables diet or a lean protein? I've heard it both ways and I don't know which one would be best. Thoughts?

Replies

• it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Both? I would have thought that many of the people on here who are low carb try and get a lot of their carb intake from fresh vegetables and a little fruit rather than from grains.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    A balanced diet. Why can't you have both?
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    both. and I'm posting to add to the replies with no avatar pic
  • LeCitron
    Options
    I don't remember who said it (could have possible been my mother) but I shall quote it/her here:

"No one ever got fat from eating too many fruits and veggies."

Whether or not this is true (I doubt it would be if fruits and veggies were dipped in chocolate or cooked in butter) remains to be scientifically proven, I guess, but I kind of feel like it's a good mantra to hold to.
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the type of work-outs you do. It's different for every person, and every one loses weight differently. If you're just starting, my opinion would be to just stick to the fruits & veggies for now (you can eat as many veggies as you want, and when you begin you are always very hungry for terrible stuff). If you have carrots or celery to snack on, it makes it a little easier. I use protein shakes almost everyday to keep my full longer, and protein is also really good once you start building muscle and really doing some intense work outs. You need it to help repair your muscles.

It's up to you, what you want to achieve, really.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    With a diet is it better to go with a mainly fruits and vegetables diet or a lean protein? I've heard it both ways and I don't know which one would be best. Thoughts?

Both. There are all kinds of different diet strategies, some healthier than others. In my case I logged fruit, vegetables, and lean meats to make sure I stayed within my calorie budget overall, but didn't need to limit them. My tastes are such that don't have to worry about eating too much meat unless I force myself, and I'm not sure anyone is in any real danger of eating too much broccoli. So I just ate what I wanted from those categories, then added however much complex carbohydrate and healthy fat was required to zero out my calories for the day.
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    Both! You need lean meats, fruits and veggies to lose fat & maintain a healthy weight