Gross! Education strikes again - DO NOT READ IF SQUEAMISH

Options
I've been taking a Food Safety and Sanitation course for college and we had to learn some of the food borne illnesses. Today I was eating some smoked salmon and found one of the parasites we studied in class. :grumble: It's fairly common in fish from this part of the Pacific. It completely grossed me out. :sick: The thing is, it was really good salmon from a local company and it was cooked (smoked) so it should be perfectly safe to eat. I wouldn't even have noticed it if it hadn't been for that class. I can't stop thinking about the symptoms we talked about in class and can't stand the thought of eating another bite.
Now I'm trying to figure out if I should tell my family. We have some pasta alfredo we made with it last night in the fridge as well as about 1/2 lb more of just the salmon. If I tell my sister, she'll never eat salmon again, but I feel kind of guilty letting my family remain blissfully unaware...

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Isn't that like telling people about the cheese mites in cheese?

Ignorance is bliss...what they don't know wont hurt them etc.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    As long as it's fresh or fresh frozen it should be fine. It's when it's been sitting around for a while you have to watch. Just like any other meat.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    extra protein
  • purpletrillium
    Options
    I wouldn't tell them what you found. Probably should throw out the rest so you don't have to feel guilty. It took me years to eat salmon because of studying microbiology in college. I still wouldn't eat it raw in sushi.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options

Gee, thanks, *I* didn't know about cheese mites :grumble:
    At least the damage from those is fairly easy to spot and avoid
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    As long as it's fresh or fresh frozen it should be fine. It's when it's been sitting around for a while you have to watch. Just like any other meat.
    This one can infect humans if not cooked properly. The smoking *should* have taken it to the correct temp to make it safe, but fresh or frozen is not.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    extra protein

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entomophagy#Advantages

Insects can be a good source of not only protein, but also vitamins, minerals, and fats. For example, crickets are high in calcium, and termites are rich in iron. One hundred grams of giant silkworm moth larvae provide 100 percent of the daily requirements for copper, zinc, iron, thiamin, and riboflavin. Ants can also contain protein depending on the size of the insect. The smaller the species, the greater the chance of it containing minimal or no protein. Grubs of the sago palm weevil (a staple in Papua New Guinea) are laden with unsaturated fat. Many insects contain abundant stores of lysine, an amino acid deficient in the diets of many people who depend heavily on grain.[26]

:smokin:
  • Thomasm198
    Options
    don't tell me I have to start tracking the cals of the spiders I swallow in my sleep over the course of a year now!

Well it is a good thing to do if you're trying to increase your protein. :laugh:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    LOL!
    I work at a college and have employed MANY Environmental Health Science students over the years. They all turn into germophobes and breatharians during the semester they take food safety!

I predict that when you get over the shock and start realizing how happy and healthy you were for all those years BEFORE you became aware of the sea of bugs you live in on a daily basis, you'll get your appetite back.

And doesn't it just leave you in awe how amazing your body is that it actually functions just FINE in that sea?!
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    What the H3ll is cheese mites?? :noway: :sick:
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I think I'd be grossed out too it I found one of the parasites, but it's just something to make you more careful and aware of what you're eating, as well as a reminder to use proper food safety.
  • angievaughn
    Options
    Question: What Are Cheese Mites?
    Answer:
    Cheese mites are invisible to the naked eye, but when clustered together look like very fine brownish dust. If you brush the "dust" off the rind of a wheel of cheese and a few hours later the "dust" has moved its location, you know the cheese has been infested by mites. The same type of mites are also attracted to flour and grains.

Mites tend to be present on the outside of hard cheeses, such as Cheddar. Usually, the mites can be brushed off the rind of the cheese without affecting the flavor of the cheese inside. Some people even think that mites give cheese more flavor - although this is not a commonly held belief.

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • Thomasm198
    Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_mite :smokin:

Mmmmmm tasty :smile:
  • adk88
    adk88 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Now was that really necessary? Uck!
  • HMonsterX
    Options

Whoops...

Well this is awkward....

The point is, would you rather have carried on eating your cheese in happy and blissful ignorance, or would you rather know the nightmare of it?

Your answer will help the OP!
  • anthony008
    Options
    make sure not to look into how they get the dyes for your yummy yogurts! lol.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    make sure not to look into how they get the dyes for your yummy yogurts! lol.

Is that the beetle stuff?
  • angievaughn
    Options
    I think I would of rather gone on eatting the cheese...........
  • PrettyLittleLiar79
    Options
    For the love!!!!! I was grossed out about the fish...But now cheese mites??????

I sure wish I could survive on sunshine and water, cuz I am learning about crap on and in foods way too much lately and I am sorta kinda thoroughly grossed out and having the heebie jeebies..... LoL