cutting out the alcohol

Options
so I know how bad alcohol is for you, and I'm not addicted to it or everything, but a big part of my diet is going to be completely cutting that out of my diet. I would say i usually have a beer or two with dinner (maybe like 3 times a week) or a glass or two of wine. so i'm hoping not having any at all will help alot!

i am allowing myself the following exceptions:
1) pre-planned girls night out 1/20 - i will allow myself 1-2 glasses of wine
2) bachelorette party 4/25

So what do you think? has anyone done this and seen results? :drinker:

Replies

• jessandace
    Options
    so I know how bad alcohol is for you, and I'm not addicted to it or everything, but a big part of my diet is going to be completely cutting that out of my diet. I would say i usually have a beer or two with dinner (maybe like 3 times a week) or a glass or two of wine. so i'm hoping not having any at all will help alot!

i am allowing myself the following exceptions:
    1) pre-planned girls night out 1/20 - i will allow myself 1-2 glasses of wine
    2) bachelorette party 4/25

So what do you think? has anyone done this and seen results? :drinker:
  • lobita44
    lobita44 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I used to have 1-2 beers a day, and last week I had a total of 6: 4 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday, and I lost 4 pounds! Before I had my daugher I also lost weight, and I limited my alcohol consumption then, and it, too, seemed to help. The rule is everything in moderation...and mark the drinks on your plan! Those calories do add up fast. But, if you have extra calories, why not have a nice glass of wine or a beer w/ dinner?!! I try to stick to having a drink only on the weekends, and ONLY if I have the calories to spare. But, I have more time to work out on the weekends, so I usually do have the extra calories!

Hope this helps, and good luck. :drinker:
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I have almost 100% cut alcohol out of my diet as well. I usually only drank on the weekend but a few "girly beers" at 160cals each... that adds up! Now... I will usually only have a glass of wine now and then... at only 90cals.

Good luck! It's all about moderation!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this. :ohwell:

But cutting back really does help and definitely plan ahead for those calories. :drinker:
  • Maggie218
    Options
    That was part of my 30-Day "Conditioning Period", which I'm on day 20 of now. Going to the gym EVERY day and no alcohol. It's really bad when I come home from a particularly hard day at work and all I want is a glass of wine, but I have been distracting myself with exercise more, so when I get home I'm so beat that I forget about the wine and just want to sleep. That's what I would suggest. It makes a HUGE difference because alcohol really is packed with calories.

Incidentally, I just found this out too, alcohol is a huge factor in increasing your Triglyceride Levels, which are what calories become if they're not used and turn into fat stored in your body. From what I understand, alcohol calories convert into Triglycerides faster than calories from food.
    (quote from http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4778:
    "Reduce your intake of alcohol considerably. Even small amounts of alcohol can lead to large changes in plasma triglyceride levels.")

I'm a BIG wine nerd, but reading this helped me see that it really is better to keep it in moderation. Hopefully I'll keep that mindset when my 30-days is over...:ohwell:

Good luck! Feel free to message me anytime, I'm in the same boat

Maggie
  • rolandhulme
    rolandhulme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I could never stick to a diet before is the concept of cutting out alcohol completely. With My fitness Pal, I can look at how many calories I have free and say: "Okay, I can have a glass of wine - but ONLY if I skip that second helping of pasta."