Healthy Dinners to eat on long car drives (and snacks)

Ange_
Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
I regularly have 6hr car drives through the middle of nowhere usually with nowhere much to stop and get food, and certainly nothing healthy (there is only 1 town between here and the city and it only has McDonalds, Hungry Jacks and KFC open at nights).

I can't stand any of the McDonalds healthy options so always try to make my own food which needs to usually include a few snacks and a dinner. I can't just take anything though as it needs to be something that can be eaten while driving as my partner doesn't like to waste time and stop and will eat his while he drives.

So far i've made roast veggie and chicken sandwiches

and i've found snow peas and carrots to be an excellent healthy snack and air popped popcorn which i of course make ahead.

But i'm getting sick of eating the same old thing. For tonight's drive i've already made tuna salad sushi (with no mayo for health reasons and no seaweed as my partner doesn't like it). The stupid amount of calories though in white sushi rice (all i can get here) though is going to take me over my calories for the day, especially as i won't have time to exercise. I'm also not sure how well it will stay together without seaweed either so may regret that decision even more later.

So out of interest does anyone have any future ideas i could try? In particular Dinner food.

Replies

• RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    When I make 5-hour drives to the Gold Coast I am usually the only one in the car so have to have food that's easy to pick up and eat. Also, not wanting to stop for more than 1 bathroom break, I tend to get thirsty from keeping my water intake down.

What I do now is prep carrot and celery sticks in one sandwich bag and sliced apple and pear in another then, when I'm peckish, I get them out and put then in the side pocket of the door with the tops open so I can just reach in for a piece. I find they provide a little hydration as well as giving me something to do even if the celery on it's own is a bit boring - having dip was hard enough when someone else was in the car, it's not going to happen on my own!
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Cheese & crackers in seperate bags

Cut up fruites or veggies

Sandwiches

wraps
  • Grilled chicken breast strips and veggies in a whole wheat tortilla.
    Hummus and veggies.
    Ready made salad like a fresh express salad kit, in a big bowl w/some added protein source.
    Cottage cheese & fruit, some nuts, and a cheese stick
    Rice & beans, if you make it and put it in your container hot, it should stay pretty warm for you.

Just some ideas I thought of and things i've used for being on the go. Good luck. I'm sure you'll get some awesome options to choose from!