Inspiring story that hit home

Options
:grumble:
I found this story on the Today Show site, as part of the Joy Fit Club :

I’ve often joked that “I think I popped out of the womb a size 26/28!” I was a fairly big baby (over 9lbs) and I just seemed to get bigger and bigger as the years went by.
I remember back to school shopping — a new year meant a new, larger size. I was painfully aware of this, and lest I forget for a moment, there was always someone there to remind me: whether it be well intentioned (but ill attempts!) by family members to “bribe” me into dieting (at age ten I was offered $50 if I lost 20lbs!) or cruel comments by fellow peers.
I hated myself. I’d look in the mirror and tell myself how ugly I was. By the time I reached high school and some of the major taunting started to wane, it was already too late — the seed had already been planted—every time someone looked at me I assumed the worst! In my view, everyone was judging me. I couldn’t love myself, so I certainly couldn’t fathom the idea that anyone could ever love me. I didn’t date. I surrounded myself with friends that shared similar issues. It was a vicious vicious cycle.

Food was the center of my world. I ate to comfort myself. I ate to celebrate. I ate because I was bored. I ate and ate and ate! The sad thing was, I surrounded myself by people with similar habits. A few well-intentioned family members would make comments about my food choices and quantities — but that would only upset me and make me eat more.
When you are overweight you don’t need anyone to point out these things to you — you already know it!

I was also a closet eater. I’d hide food in my room, car, etc. I’d lie about what I ate. I ate so much — it’s disgusting to think about it now. Right before I made my lifestyle change, life was fairly easy — I was living at home and attending community college on a full academic scholarship. I had paid off my car loan through my part-time job, so my bills were light. I had money to burn and I chose food.
I’d go out to eat whenever I wanted. If I didn’t like what my mom made for dinner, I’d simply order take out. And I’d add fat to even the most fattening foods. For example, if I ordered a submarine sandwich, I’d add bacon and mayonnaise along with the side of deli chips! I didn’t care. I had completely given up.

Breakfast: Sausage Egg McMuffin with an extra side of hashbrowns, large orange juice
Lunch: Crispy chicken sandwich with a large order of loaded fries (topped with bacon bits, chives, and ranch dressing), large Coke
Snack: Chocolate, candies or Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme pies along with a Coffee Coolatas and 2 toasted coconut donuts from Dunkin Donuts
Dinner 1: 2 supersized McDonald’s cheeseburger meals with a Coke
Dinner 2: Chicken parmigiana with angel hair pasta smothered in butter and garlic, lasagna, etc.

I realized I had to do something just three months shy of my 21st birthday. I had gone to the gynecologist because I wasn’t menstruating. She had tried me on birth control, and that hadn’t managed to bring it on. My blood pressure was high; and then she weighed, or should I say attempted to weigh me: those metal doctor scales only go up to 350lbs — she couldn’t weigh me.
She basically told me that not only was I seriously running the risk of never being able to conceive children someday, but that I was killing myself! As a future educator whose life essentially revolves around children, the possibility of not being able to have some of my own someday was utterly devastating. I walked out of her office, cried, but threw away the Little Debbie’s snacks that resided on the back seat of my car. I never looked back.

A friend of mine had been following Weight Watchers, so I followed along with her before officially joining two weeks later. Mentally, I made a deal with myself to start following the program and later, to gradually build in the exercise. After 3 months, I started walking the local boardwalk. I progressed to a combination of the Curves circuit and tae-bo/kickboxing tapes and about a year ago I started running.
I embraced the Weight Watchers lifestyle quickly because it seemed to really fit me. I saw results right away and it was very motivating. Even when I hit mini plateaus along the way I was able to incorporate tips from my Weight Watcher’s leader and other members to make modifications to help me move forward: food and exercise tips, new activity choices, inspiring stories — the people at the meetings are incredible!
I discovered one of my current mantras: play! I learned to play in the kitchen, even when I’m too busy to cook and I have to turn to a frozen meal or canned soup, I make sure to jazz it up with extra seasonings or by adding diced veggies, beans, fat-free cheeses, salsa, vinegars, lemon juice, extracts, broths, etc. It quickly makes that on-the-run lunch/dinner a meal (and definitely more inviting!). I learned to play for fitness. While running everyday seems to provide the best results for me, it’s not quite as enjoyable as a cardio dance class—so I make sure to incorporate dance and movement into my entertainment activities!
Portion is still an issue for me, so I learned to “bulk up” my meals by adding volume — from eggs, sandwiches, soups, to main meals—I’ll add diced peppers, onion, tomatoes, spinach — suddenly my ? c of egg substitute has the ability to span the width of a dinner plate, or my single cup of soup fills a large bowl!
I also learned to prep and plan in advance. I pre-dice and package those veggies and keep them in the freezer so that I can save time during my crazy busy week. If I know I’m going to be surrounded by high-fat foods at a dinner party or some other event, I make one of my favorite dishes and either eat a little in advance, or I’ll bring it to share.
I try not to let food be the focus of my activities, however, I do love food, so I try to slow down and actually savor and truly enjoy what I eat.
There were, still are, and always will be days when I overeat. But I’ve learned to view these as what they are: temporary setbacks. I never allow them to become roadblocks. If I falter, okay, fine, it’s over. I learned to stop beating myself up over my humanness, and instead use it to kick-off with renewed gusto.

Breakfast: Multigrain English muffin with a spray of fat-free butter and a tbsp. of sugar-free preserves (or a half packet of splenda, cinnamon, and a drizzle of honey!), coffee with skim milk; Light yogurt
Snack: Sugar-free Jell-o or pudding snacks, DanActive 2% light cottage cheese snacks, sliced peppers, celery, baby carrots or 94% fat-free popcorn
Lunch: Baby spinach salad tossed with vegetables and topped with an ounce of Cabot 75% light cheddar
Dinner: Grilled or baked fish; an egg white or egg-substitute omelet

Alicia Maestri
I still love food and eating, but food preparation is like a game to me now. I ask myself, “how can I modify this to make it taste just as good but without all the fat and calories?” And while I will not deprive myself of something if I truly want it, I do take a second now to ask myself whether or not I really want something — is it worth the extra time on the treadmill?
My whole world is different now. I am so happy and it shows to everyone around me! Each day that I grow physically stronger, I grow mentally stronger. This has made me more valuable to those around me: my family, my friends, and my students. Along my journey someone once told me to look at life like a treasure box — and I do now — I cherish it!

Replies

• Cheyanne
    Options
    :grumble:
    I found this story on the Today Show site, as part of the Joy Fit Club :

I’ve often joked that “I think I popped out of the womb a size 26/28!” I was a fairly big baby (over 9lbs) and I just seemed to get bigger and bigger as the years went by.
    I remember back to school shopping — a new year meant a new, larger size. I was painfully aware of this, and lest I forget for a moment, there was always someone there to remind me: whether it be well intentioned (but ill attempts!) by family members to “bribe” me into dieting (at age ten I was offered $50 if I lost 20lbs!) or cruel comments by fellow peers.
    I hated myself. I’d look in the mirror and tell myself how ugly I was. By the time I reached high school and some of the major taunting started to wane, it was already too late — the seed had already been planted—every time someone looked at me I assumed the worst! In my view, everyone was judging me. I couldn’t love myself, so I certainly couldn’t fathom the idea that anyone could ever love me. I didn’t date. I surrounded myself with friends that shared similar issues. It was a vicious vicious cycle.

Food was the center of my world. I ate to comfort myself. I ate to celebrate. I ate because I was bored. I ate and ate and ate! The sad thing was, I surrounded myself by people with similar habits. A few well-intentioned family members would make comments about my food choices and quantities — but that would only upset me and make me eat more.
    When you are overweight you don’t need anyone to point out these things to you — you already know it!

I was also a closet eater. I’d hide food in my room, car, etc. I’d lie about what I ate. I ate so much — it’s disgusting to think about it now. Right before I made my lifestyle change, life was fairly easy — I was living at home and attending community college on a full academic scholarship. I had paid off my car loan through my part-time job, so my bills were light. I had money to burn and I chose food.
    I’d go out to eat whenever I wanted. If I didn’t like what my mom made for dinner, I’d simply order take out. And I’d add fat to even the most fattening foods. For example, if I ordered a submarine sandwich, I’d add bacon and mayonnaise along with the side of deli chips! I didn’t care. I had completely given up.

Breakfast: Sausage Egg McMuffin with an extra side of hashbrowns, large orange juice
    Lunch: Crispy chicken sandwich with a large order of loaded fries (topped with bacon bits, chives, and ranch dressing), large Coke
    Snack: Chocolate, candies or Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme pies along with a Coffee Coolatas and 2 toasted coconut donuts from Dunkin Donuts
    Dinner 1: 2 supersized McDonald’s cheeseburger meals with a Coke
    Dinner 2: Chicken parmigiana with angel hair pasta smothered in butter and garlic, lasagna, etc.

I realized I had to do something just three months shy of my 21st birthday. I had gone to the gynecologist because I wasn’t menstruating. She had tried me on birth control, and that hadn’t managed to bring it on. My blood pressure was high; and then she weighed, or should I say attempted to weigh me: those metal doctor scales only go up to 350lbs — she couldn’t weigh me.
    She basically told me that not only was I seriously running the risk of never being able to conceive children someday, but that I was killing myself! As a future educator whose life essentially revolves around children, the possibility of not being able to have some of my own someday was utterly devastating. I walked out of her office, cried, but threw away the Little Debbie’s snacks that resided on the back seat of my car. I never looked back.

A friend of mine had been following Weight Watchers, so I followed along with her before officially joining two weeks later. Mentally, I made a deal with myself to start following the program and later, to gradually build in the exercise. After 3 months, I started walking the local boardwalk. I progressed to a combination of the Curves circuit and tae-bo/kickboxing tapes and about a year ago I started running.
    I embraced the Weight Watchers lifestyle quickly because it seemed to really fit me. I saw results right away and it was very motivating. Even when I hit mini plateaus along the way I was able to incorporate tips from my Weight Watcher’s leader and other members to make modifications to help me move forward: food and exercise tips, new activity choices, inspiring stories — the people at the meetings are incredible!
    I discovered one of my current mantras: play! I learned to play in the kitchen, even when I’m too busy to cook and I have to turn to a frozen meal or canned soup, I make sure to jazz it up with extra seasonings or by adding diced veggies, beans, fat-free cheeses, salsa, vinegars, lemon juice, extracts, broths, etc. It quickly makes that on-the-run lunch/dinner a meal (and definitely more inviting!). I learned to play for fitness. While running everyday seems to provide the best results for me, it’s not quite as enjoyable as a cardio dance class—so I make sure to incorporate dance and movement into my entertainment activities!
    Portion is still an issue for me, so I learned to “bulk up” my meals by adding volume — from eggs, sandwiches, soups, to main meals—I’ll add diced peppers, onion, tomatoes, spinach — suddenly my ? c of egg substitute has the ability to span the width of a dinner plate, or my single cup of soup fills a large bowl!
    I also learned to prep and plan in advance. I pre-dice and package those veggies and keep them in the freezer so that I can save time during my crazy busy week. If I know I’m going to be surrounded by high-fat foods at a dinner party or some other event, I make one of my favorite dishes and either eat a little in advance, or I’ll bring it to share.
    I try not to let food be the focus of my activities, however, I do love food, so I try to slow down and actually savor and truly enjoy what I eat.
    There were, still are, and always will be days when I overeat. But I’ve learned to view these as what they are: temporary setbacks. I never allow them to become roadblocks. If I falter, okay, fine, it’s over. I learned to stop beating myself up over my humanness, and instead use it to kick-off with renewed gusto.

Breakfast: Multigrain English muffin with a spray of fat-free butter and a tbsp. of sugar-free preserves (or a half packet of splenda, cinnamon, and a drizzle of honey!), coffee with skim milk; Light yogurt
    Snack: Sugar-free Jell-o or pudding snacks, DanActive 2% light cottage cheese snacks, sliced peppers, celery, baby carrots or 94% fat-free popcorn
    Lunch: Baby spinach salad tossed with vegetables and topped with an ounce of Cabot 75% light cheddar
    Dinner: Grilled or baked fish; an egg white or egg-substitute omelet

Alicia Maestri
    I still love food and eating, but food preparation is like a game to me now. I ask myself, “how can I modify this to make it taste just as good but without all the fat and calories?” And while I will not deprive myself of something if I truly want it, I do take a second now to ask myself whether or not I really want something — is it worth the extra time on the treadmill?
    My whole world is different now. I am so happy and it shows to everyone around me! Each day that I grow physically stronger, I grow mentally stronger. This has made me more valuable to those around me: my family, my friends, and my students. Along my journey someone once told me to look at life like a treasure box — and I do now — I cherish it!
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this story.

It is very INSPIRING...

Have a great day...
    Angela :flowerforyou: