Working out at Night

Options
Is it really 'bad' to work out at night? I figure it's better than nothing (my toddler wakes up easily in the morning, so I'm finding it easier to work out right after she goes to sleep at night) but am I getting the same benefit as morning exercisers? I've read so many arguments on this...x.x

Replies

• Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I really don't know!!
  • jamiealdridge02
    jamiealdridge02 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I work out at night and have for most of my adult life. As long as it doens't mess up your sleep you are fine. I do everything from running to lifting weights as late as 9:00. It keeps me in shape :) Better than not working out at all!
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    Doesn't seem to be. I workout during the work week at night since that is the only time available. Last night I did my hour long workout starting at 11:00PM. That was a bit later than usual but still got the job done.
  • purplebabe2025
    purplebabe2025 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Good question. I don't have an answer and will be curious to read what others say. But for me it's not a good idea cause it makes me too alert therefore i find it hard to sleep.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Getting a work out in is good, who cares what time it is! :)
    It's just easier to put the workout off at night, which is why a lot of people say you have to do it in the morning, so it's done with.
  • shirerose
    shirerose Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    it's hard enough for most people to find time to work out at all... so do it whenever you can and whenever you feel up to it.
    i work out in the evenings and haven't had any trouble losing weight.
    the morning argument comes up because of the fact that it boosts your metabolism for the day... but you'll still do fine with evening work outs. :)
    and if you work a desk job or find yourself sitting around for most of the day, try to get up and move every half hour... just do a couple jumping jacks... or if you are on the phone, stand up and shift around a bit.
    basically just try your best to not go too long without moving.
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i've worked out at night for the past year and i've lost 40 ish pounds. worked for me
  • mugwump71
    Options
    There are some biological and psychological arguments for working out first thing in the morning, but fundamentally, for weight loss, working out when you CAN work out is better than not working out at all. I have worked out at night for most of my working-out lifespan. The morning just doesn't work for me. There's no way for me to swing it without being sleep-deprived, and being sleep deprived probably does more harm than whatever gain from working out in the morning.
    A lot of these studies and theories and whatever focus on what is optimal and forget to find ways to just help people become more active, in whatever way works best for them.
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i really can't anwser that one, but i can tell u at least u are exercising and that is a wonderful thing:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Moving your body...burning calories in the house while the little one sleeps...Hmm Nope, nothing wrong there...unless you leave him in the house while you're outside running around the neighbor
  • tbrooke2000
    tbrooke2000 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evening because I am absolutely NOT a morning person.. I don't care... Mornings stink :-)! I feel that if you are doing it and you stay consistent, than that is what matters! Good luck
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I once read a very inspiring article about John Travolta who worked out, not only after work, but in the wee hours of the morning because it was the best time at the gym and got rid of the work stress.
  • charissaknouff
    Options
    I actually just read an article in a magazine about this (sorry that I can't recall which magazine). The study found that it actually is beneficial to work out at night because it relaxes you and promotes better sleep as your body temperature is cooling off after your work out. It did suggest not working out within an hour of bed time though.

I work out more often at night too. I have a four-year-old; so it's easier once he goes to bed. Good luck!
  • FindingMyself239
    Options
    AS LONG AS YOUR WORKING OUT THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS:)

HONESTLY THAT'S HOW I DROPPED 35 POUNDS AT FIRST...I worked during the day and after getting off around 10pm I would hit the gym...That way I burned off calories for the day and instead of going home and eating it was shower and bed

yet I heard its better to work out during the day because it boosts your metabolism and you burn more calories through out the day BUT THATS JUST WHAT I HEARD WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU:)
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I don't see how it could harm you.

I was working out in the mornings but I found i just didn't have enough energy and my workouts were slacking because of it so now i've switched to working out at night and it's working much better for me!
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I also have a toddler (who also happens to be a very light sleeper! Getting up to work out before she gets up in the morning just ends up in... well, her being awake a lot earlier than she would have otherwise, heh) and do almost all of my working out once she's in bed at night. I agree with a previous commenter - if it doesn't make you have trouble sleeping, do it up! :)
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I find myself making the excuse of, "Well, it's not as beneficial as morning workouts, so what's the point?" but I need to get my *kitten* into gear on a regular schedule. >:O
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I agree with most people on this-- what matters is that you ARE working out!

I do my weekday workouts at night, usually starting around 9. It's when I have the most energy, the most motivation, and also because I already know exactly how many calories I've eaten for the day, so that helps me gauge what I'm going to do.

The thing that is most beneficial in working out is that you're finding the time to do it. Switching it up is good, too. If you're in the mood for a morning or mid-day workout, it'll help you keep variety in your routine, thus making it less boring.

Good luck!
  • aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I mainly work out evenings.... I think yay you for working out! Still the same burn regardless of time