Aussie protein bar

Options
I have read about numerous protein bars on here but most are from overseas including recipes. What are the best Aussie ones? Or does anyone have a recipe for home made ones?

Replies

• BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Never actually tried these, but they looked interesting and I planned to give 'em a shot one day...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/protein-bars-recipe/index.html
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Aussie Bodies and BSc protein bars? They are my personal favourite brands, and both Australian. Also, they are available from Woolies (or at least the ones in my area, anyway!)

Both these brands have plenty of high protein, low sugar options that taste really good! I like the Aussie Bodies Mini Lo Carb Cookies and Cream Bar, the Aussie Bodies Low Carb Mocha Bar, the Aussie Bodies Lo Carb Deluxe Triple Choc Bar and the BSc Cookies and Cream Bars the best - 100-240 cals per bar for these. Yeah, I love cookies and cream flavour, if you didn't already guess!
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Cornock
    Cornock Posts: 254
    Options
    I've got one, I'll find it and post it in a minute! :wink: I love em and eat em every day!
  • Cornock
    Cornock Posts: 254
    Options
    INGREDIENTS

200gram Pepitas –toast them lightly before putting into the mix
    50gram Sunflower seeds also toasted, you can do these with the Pepitas
    200 gram Organic rolled oats
    100 gram wheat flakes or corn flakes
    75grams Chia Seeds
    50 gram of Hazelnuts ( I use whole ones and smash them up) You could use Almonds or unsalted pistachios any unsalted nut to your taste really.
    50 gram Hazelnut meal
    50 gram Almond meal
    200gram Cranberries- You could use sultana’s or dates or apricots or a mix of dried fruit. This is for your own taste.
    1 cup Almond Milk ( you may need a little bit more or less depending)
    6 Tablespoons of Organic honey
    4 Table spoons of fresh crushed peanut butter ( I buy mine from the Belconnen markets at the health food store it has no salt or additives) You can use normal peanut butter but if you do then don’t use the salt.
    A pinch of good salt
    300-400 gram puffed brown rice ( You could also use rice bubbles if you wanted)

METHOD

Into a large bowl put

200gram Pepitas
    50gram Sunflower seeds
    200 gram Organic rolled oats
    100 gram wheat flakes or corn flakes
    75grams Chia Seeds
    50 gram of Hazelnuts
    50 gram Hazelnut meal
    50 gram Almond meal
    200gram Cranberries

Pour the Almond milk and peanut butter into the bowl and mix well, everything needs to be covered and the milk needs to get into the oats and meal it should be like a very firm batter, leave for a couple of minutes to absorb. Then mix through the Honey the mix should be very firm not runny.

Then roll the mix into little logs about 2 – 3 inches long and about an inch round and roll into the puffed brown rice set aside on a tray or in a Tupperware container. When they are all done put them in the fridge and eat as you wish.

Careful!!! These are a great snack, very moreish though and quite high in calories (about 200 + in each one), but very high in good proteins and fats.

I'm making some on Sunday and I'm going to use, pistacio's, macadamia's, (instead of the Hazelnuts) dates, raisins, cranberries
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Slim Secrets have a range of bars and also protein shots. My husband and I both like the 'Morning Rev Up' bars which are coffee flavoured and I like the 'Mintabolism' flavour which is (not surprisingly) mint flavoured.

I don't eat the bars much, but I do like the protein shots.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My small country town Woolworths has various protein bars in their diet supplements section.
    So i'm sure if you have a supermarket near you they'll have something.
    Otherwise i don't see why you can't make your own using whatever recipe. If it is in American measurements just convert them.
  • aussie_nic_getting_fit
    Options
    ive recently discovered these bars and often have them after a workout at the gym, they satisfy my sweet tooth and are low carb, low sugars, low fat, low calorie and high protein.....

i love the low protein mini bars in... cookies & cream and the strawberry & cream... nom nom nom...s ooooooo good