searching for modified traditional holiday recipes...

Options
denisegolden
denisegolden Posts: 206 Member
okay, so i am being chastized by my family for not wanting to do the whole traditional holiday meal thing...thanksgiving and christmas...so i am trying to compromise by preparing traditional foods with untraditional healthy cooking/baking techniques/ingedients. wanna help??? if you have any recipes that would fall into this catagory please send my way, post on here or message me...the traditional foods i usually prepare are as follows:
turkey,
ham,
baked mac and cheese,
mashed potatoes,
sweet potato casserole,
green beans,
corn,
gravy,
dinner rolls,
deviled eggs,
chocolate pie,
pumpkin pie,
pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling,
chocolate cake,
jello salad...
any ideas? any tried and true recipes you'd like to share?
THANKS A BUNCH!!!

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I just let myself enjoy the holidays. Lifing life and loving it. Does your family want the traditional recipe or are they okay with a modified version? That is important to know before you switch things up
    Options
    pumpkin-no-bake-cheesecake.jpg

Pumpkin Spice No-Bake Cheesecake
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 8 • Size: 1/8th • Calories: 239 • Old Points: 5.25 pts • Points+: 6 pts

7 oz 1/3 less fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese
    1/2 cup pureed pumpkin (canned is fine)
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1/4 cup brown sugar, unpacked
    8 oz Cool Whip Free, thawed
    9 inch reduced fat Graham Cracker Crust

In a large bowl using an electric mixer, whip cream cheese, pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and brown sugar for a few minutes until fluffy. Add Cool Whip and whip until smooth. Spoon mixture into pie crust and chill for a few hours, until firm.
  • kjwickman
    Options
    For mashed pototes you could use califlower that is steamed/cooked really soft and mash it like a regular cooked potatoe. Add spices as you like.
  • pink59eldo
    Options
    Everything on your list would be easily modified. Just use fat-free or sugar-free items when it comes to sweeter sides. As far as the turkey you can use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter or a Heart Smart butter. Also to make any type of dough try to use Heart Smart Bisquick and oats. Skinnytaste.com has amazing holiday recipes that are low cal and low fat. :) Good luck!
    Options
    deviled-eggs.jpg

Deviled Eggs
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 2 halves • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 3
    Calories: 96.8 • Fat: 7.5 g • Carb: 1.0 g • Fiber: 0.0 g • Protein: 6.3 g • Sugar: 0.3 g
    Sodium: 156.1 mg

4 large hard boiled eggs, cooled and peeled
    2 tbsp low fat mayonnaise
    1 tsp dijon mustard
    paprika
    salt and fresh pepper to taste
    2 tbsp chopped chives

Cut eggs in half longways. Remove yolks and put them in a bowl. Add mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir well and pipe them back into egg whites. Top with chopped chives and paprika.
  • RNMDFF
    RNMDFF Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    This is making me very hungry.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com :D
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    This is what I do for devilled eggs:

Ingredients:

6 eggs

Extra virgin olive oil or flax or hemp

Dijon mustard

Celtic Sea Salt and pepper

Fresh dill

Paprika

Directions

1. Hard boil the eggs

2. Cut each egg in half and place all the yolks into a separate bowl.

3. Add 1-2 TBSPs of oil and a 1 tsp of Dijon mustard and mix.

4. Add more olive oil and/or Dijon mustard based on taste (I sometimes throw in some greek yogurt too)

5. Add Paprika, salt and pepper to taste.

6. Mix in 1 TBSP of fresh dill (or more if you’d like).
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    For mashed pototes you could use califlower that is steamed/cooked really soft and mash it like a regular cooked potatoe. Add spices as you like.

I actually do a cauliflower/sweet potato mix for my mashed sweet potatoes. No one knows the difference.
  • vhataway
    Options
    Is there a way to add someone else's recipe to your own recipe file?
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    sounds like our menu at the holidays. i would love to see the ideas people have....been researching these ideas as well. come too far to go south at the holidays....need to hit 100 lost by the 1st of the year!
  • denisegolden
    Options
    I just let myself enjoy the holidays. Lifing life and loving it. Does your family want the traditional recipe or are they okay with a modified version? That is important to know before you switch things up
    they are fine with modified versions...they just want the whole family gathered around our home table traditional dinner setting thing...and i have four boys who like to be in the kitchen with me, they want to prepare the dinner, not go somewhere else.:bigsmile:
  • denisegolden
    Options
    sounds like our menu at the holidays. i would love to see the ideas people have....been researching these ideas as well. come too far to go south at the holidays....need to hit 100 lost by the 1st of the year!

me too...i had gastric bypass and have a very sensitive stomach, so i couldnt eat the high fat/sugar foods even if i wanted to. but yeah, i have worked hard to be where i am, and still have a long ways to go, i know there are plenty of great recipes out there and i thought ya'll could help me out...and you are not disappointing!!! thanks a bunch everyone!!!:happy:
    Options
    they are fine with modified versions...they just want the whole family gathered around our home table traditional dinner setting thing...and i have four boys who like to be in the kitchen with me, they want to prepare the dinner, not go somewhere else.:bigsmile:

Oh thats great! :D