Workout - how often?

Options
Hello fellow MFP-ers,
I am a 24 yr old female looking to lose around 15-20 lbs of weight. I am not looking for a quick n dirty way to lose weight. I want the weight loss to be a part of a better lifestyle(1 lb a week is doable, I think). I am usually okay with the food...almost always under my allowance. How often do you all recommend I workout ? I am currently doing 3-4 times a week.

Thanks,
K

Replies

• babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    thats a great start, dont push yourself too quckly, just enjoy it and do things you love and keep reminding yourself that this is for good, you dont want to discourage yourself :) good luck! feel free to add me - i love to give support and advice x
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    3-4 times a week is a good start. Personally, I work out 5-6 days just depending on the week. But that's me. I find it easier to break my workouts into little daily segments (usually less than an hour), while other people prefer to workout 3-4 days a week in bigger chunks. It just depends on your schedule, your motivation, and what works for your life. And remember: any exercise is better than no exercise!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I do cardio 3 days and strength train 3 days (separate days)
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    awesome start, when for my initial 20lbs of weight loss i exercised 6 days a week, now i exercise 4 or 5 times a week. It is up to you and your lifestyle, i would encourage 4-6 days a week.
  • AZBob1956
    AZBob1956 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i ride my bicycle 10-12 miles three days per week and 40-50 each day Saturday and Sunday. Lost 65 and have 10-15 left to go.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Most of you seem to be doing at least 4 times a week...I have an 1.5 hr commute to work each way, every single day! Some days like today, I just could not pull out time to workout...I left at 7 AM and got back home at 8 PM.

I just wanna be sure that what I am doing now, I can sustain for the foreseeable future. Thanks for your answers guys!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I train 6 days a week, some days are split routines, (AM and PM workouts)
    Monday = PM strength training
    Tues = AM HIIT/PM strength training
    Wed = AM HIIT/PM strength training
    Thurs = AM HIIT/PM strength training
    Fri = Pm strenth training
    Sat = PM stregth training
    Sun = Rest and refeed day
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I meet my goals just by walking the dogs and biking 1 mile to work each day. But I also do workout videos (usually yoga or pilates) a couple times a week and swim laps at least once a week (there's a free indoor pool 1 block from my house!).
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I used to have a 1.5 hour commute as well! It was awful. After being in a car for 3 hours every day it's great to do some aerobic activity or yoga to loosen up all the tension in your body. If your cable provider has On Demand videos, browse their exercise section and try to do a video every day. I used to do a 10-minute one first thing in the morning, every morning, and a longer one in the evening if I was feeling up for it. The videos are good because you can do them at home, whenever you get a moment, in whatever clothes you happen to be wearing.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Evenings are never good for me...get home, cook, eat, bed! Mornings are perfect though...dark outside, everyone asleep - it is my time and that's what I enjoy and it keeps me energetic through the day! The only real trouble I have is waking up...some days I just cannot pull myself out of bed!