7 days a week..

Options
So, I'm currently unemployed (waiting for bar exam results, not being lazy cuz I don't want to work..) & have all the time in the world. So, I work out every day. I honestly don't want to take days off b/c I feel gross if I don't exercise (& I enjoy those extra calories!).

I typically hit the gym at 9AM & do some cardio. I switch it up, but I usually either power walk & ride the bike or I do HIIT on the elliptical for 33-45min. I will take one day a week where I will just walk at a slower pace, I consider that as a "rest" day. 5 nights a week I also do the 30 DS to incorporate strength as well. I have a trainer, but at the moment I am only doing the Shred for strength.

What do you guys think? Is this program good, do I "need" a rest day?

Replies

• kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options
    I am unemployed as well. Workout 7 days a week for at least an hour a day, usually 1 1/2- 2 1/2. So I say it's fine as long as your body agrees.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I say let your body be your guide. Don't abuse it, don't injure it. But do work it.
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm also unemployed, and work out everyday. Unless my schedule prevents me from hitting the gym or I get sick/hurt, I don't really take rest days. And even when I do, generally I still do yoga.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Cardio everyday isnt that bad.

I would suggest some more strength training though
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I say listen to your body... for now, if it feels good and you are doing it in a healthy way - great job !!! but if it gets too obsessive or you over train, definitely re-evaluate !

or maybe after a while.. you'll be so pooped that you'll need a rest day :) haha
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    i think it's a great plan! it shows you have determination! :) as long as you aren't hurting or feel too tired then keep doing what you can!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    If you're getting adequate sleep you should be okay. Specially if your training schedule doesn't call for training the same muscle consecutively.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I'd spend some of my gym time doing strength training other than the 30ds, but that's just me.

Otherwise, if your body is fine, I think you're doing great.

PS: The bar exam, and subsequent wait for results, was the worst experience of my life. NO LIE.
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    I work out every day, which has been tough recently because we've moved into the busy season at work. I work two days a week with a trainer and at least one day a week on my own with strength training. I do cardio every day, mainly the elliptical (30-60 minutes), but I also try to switch it up with some bike and treadmill. I'm not really to the point where I can run yet but I manage to get my heart rate up on the elliptical. I also walk several times a week with my dog, and though I try to keep up a good pace then, I consider that more a pleasure for both of us than a workout.

I've been cautioned about not overdoing the exercise and burn myself out, but I'm really enjoying it. I can see the visible results to all my hard work and I want more. And I feel better, both physically and mentally, when I've exercised, so I'm going to keep it up.