All those unlogged calories from nibbling while cooking

Options
I can't stop! I'm incapable! So I've been thinking about tacking on 50 calories a day just from this, is that being realistic # wise? It's not like I eat a full portion of anything, or even all together, but a bite or two of everything on the stove every 15 minutes or so... just to make sure it's good...

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    MFP lets you do "quick add calories" -- I see a lot of people do this.

It's a good idea to try and track -- you might be shocked at how much it actually is :)
  • little_gothic_girl
    little_gothic_girl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i would say it depends on the food you are sampling... ie mac n cheese vs. steamed veg.... but that said... 50 seems a little low...
  • lunaephiliac
    Options
    I do the same thing- a bite here, a bite there. I just figure it in- after doing this for a while you develop a pretty good ability to estimate. I usually assume 200ish kcal, tops. but i don't worry about it too much.
  • tkacomet
    tkacomet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I keep a notebook next to the stove and keep track of every taste. somedays, it's closer to 200.
  • kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options
    I would say make the quick adds at least 100. 50 seems low if you are doing a few samples..
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    That completely depends on what you're nibbling and how much of it.

P.S.: You CAN stop.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It's mostly cooked vegetables of some sort, and maybe nibbles of the meat and grain dish. I don't cook a lot of 'bad' foods, mostly whole grains and baked/sauteed vegetables. I do like my couscous and occasional pasta dish though, and these are inevitably the dishes I wind up sampling the most of while cooking.

Perhaps I should just add an ounce or two to each item that I nibble from? It can't possibly be more than that, can it? I'm still losing weight on schedule, so I'm not overly concerned, but I like to know the 'real' numbers. I'm still getting used to the MFP system and logging is taking some adjusting to.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    It's time for you to admit to yourself~~~you're a compulsive eater. You're the one in total control of your life and behavior. It's up to you to change those behaviors, if, when, and how~~~that you're ready. You're either totally committed to becoming heart healthy or you are not. It's your choice. GL, :)
  • blarics11
    Options
    Chewing gum or sucking on a sugar free candy while cooking helps with the nibbiling :)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    You're incapable? That's a bit of a cop out.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I usually adjust my meal portions to allow for the nibbles and tastes (who cooks without tasting, how would you know if it is right?)
    That way they get accounted for without having to enter one teaspoon full of soup etc (life is too short for that!).
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    i spent a week in july tracking all my tastings and it was nearly 250 extra calories. No wonder my WL had stalled. It was enough to for me to stop LOL!
  • havalinaaa
    Options
    It's time for you to admit to yourself~~~you're a compulsive eater. You're the one in total control of your life and behavior. It's up to you to change those behaviors, if, when, and how~~~that you're ready. You're either totally committed to becoming heart healthy or you are not. It's your choice. GL, :)

I'm a complusive eater because I nibble while I cook? Pshaw. It's like the only time I eat without portioning. I appreciate the sentiment, but it came off a tad harsh.
  • havalinaaa
    Options
    You're incapable? That's a bit of a cop out.

I was sort of saying it in jest. Clearly I could stop nibbling while cooking, but I have no intention or desire to do so, I was just asking how to properly log them.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    measure your food before you cook. that way you were going to eat it anyway.
  • havalinaaa
    Options
    measure your food before you cook. that way you were going to eat it anyway.

Now this is a great idea! Except for when I cook for two.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    There's not a cook in the world, at least not a good one that doesn't taste what they are cooking. How can you tell if its seasoned right? I taste everything I cook, too. Just before, I more than tasted, I had practically a meal before we sat down. Now I taste the tiniest bit. I don't log it, but if I think I had a bit much, I subtract that much from my portion at dinner.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I make sure I nibble from what I've measured out, and then the nibbles are integrated into the calories eaten for the entire meal I am cooking. NB this works best when you are cooking for one, like I am.