Smoothies?

stephreed11
stephreed11 Posts: 158 Member
edited October 4 in Recipes
I can't for the life of me make a good smoothie! Tonight I tried 1 cup strawberries & bananas, 3/4 cup low fat vanilla yogurt, 1/2 cup orange juice, & some ice. Blended it in my Magic Bullet- & it was terrible. Something was totally off. Do any of you have a good smoothie recipe? Thanks!

Replies

• The smoothie I love making, and it's good for you is as follows:

1 cup strawberries
    1 serving strawberry yogurt - low fat.
    1.5 scoops Total Soy Vanilla Meal Replacement powder (or protein shake powder of your choosing-preferable vanilla)
    1/2 cup milk
    1 cup crushed ice
    1/2 tablespoon sugar or one package of your preferred sweetener.

I mix all of these ingredients in a smoothie maker or blender. Blend until it's smooth enough to drink.
    If I did my calculations correctly, this smoothie is under 300 calories............and it is quite filling, enough to be a meal replacement smoothie.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Betting that vanilla yogurt and orange juice collided hard!! Dairy and acid are not usually a great pair....
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    1 Scoop Designer Whey 100 calorie French Vanilla protein powder
    1 Cup Silk Light Vanilla soy milk
    1 C pureed pumpkin
    1 tsp, heaping, cinnamon
    1/3 tsp nutmeg, to taste
    1/3 tsp ginger, to taste
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract - optional
    5 ice cubes...

This makes one HONKIN' HUGE Pumpkin smoothie and it is SOOOOO delish! Adjust the spices to your own liking...
  • I have also done this same recipe in a peach variety, just replacing the 1 cup strawberries with 1 cup peaches, and replacing the strawberry yogurt with peach yogurt..........keeping everything else the same.

I have yet to experiment with other fruits, but I look forward to it.
    I'm pretty sure I can experience the same success with other fruits, as long as there is a complimentary flavor of yogurt to go with.
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    A traditional smoothie as I know it would be something like banana or strawberries with 1 cup of low fat milk, ice (lots of it) a dash of vanilla essence and cinnamon powder and if you want to you can also add half a scoop of protein powder, sometimes it's better to keep it simple...:o)
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    The simpler the better for me...lol
    Any protein powder 1 scoop
    Bell plantation pb2 2 tbsp
    = yummy!!
  • vegangirl88
    vegangirl88 Posts: 104 Member
    http://favouriteveganrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/09/super-yummy-green-smoothie.html

Don't be put off by the ingredients, this tastes AMAZING and is really good for you xxx
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Freeze your banana, and they'll come out a perfect milkshake consistency. Warm em under hot water for 20 seconds and the skin'll come right off.
  • My Favorite smoothie to make is the "Banana Bread smoothie"

Makes (1) serving

1/3 small banana (I use frozen ones)
    1 scoop of vanilla whey protein powder
    1tsp Vanilla extract
    2.5 tsp almond butter
    2 oz Soy or Almond milk
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 cup Water

I usually blend Ice in it as well and its excellent! its also approximately 40% protein, 30% carb and 30% fat so a very balanced breakfast or snack for ~300 calories in total
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    My smoothies are usually more like milkshakes.
    My favourite is the "Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie"

1 small banana ( can be fresh or a defrosted frozen)
    1 Tablespoon of Peanut Butter
    1/4 cup skim milk
    1/4 cup Greek yogurt
    1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
    1 Tablespoon of chocolate protein powder (Or hot chocolate powder for flavour and plain protein powder)
    1/2-1 cup of water (adjust per thickness preference)
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    I buy, cut and freeze fruit and veg.
    I always have half a cucumber, 1 cup spicanch, scoop of wheat grass.
    Usually a banana, 1 cup strawberry, blueberries, currents, blackberries.
    I use coconut water for the liquid. Almost always under 200 calories.
  • I recently got one of those "Ninja" blenders, and my favorite smoothie is 1 banana, 3 pkgs of Splenda and about a tablespoon of fat free cream cheese, blended with 8 ice cubes. AMAZING. I usually let it sit in the freezer for about 10 minutes so it's actually more like ice cream.

There are also frozen fruit blends you can buy just for smoothies. I'll blend these with just ice cubes and splenda.

I've been trying to eat fruit every day (I'm not normally a fruit eater) and these smoothies definitely make the fruit go down easier!
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    I love smoothies... I have had to kinda play with it... I do half a banana, 3 fresh straw berries and one whole peace chopped, I only use about 1/4-1/2 cup of fit and light vanilla yogurt, and a small splash of orange juice or 1% milk, and a few ice cubes and blend till smooooooth. I LOVE it. The skin of the peach has a texture some might not like but I like it:) you can always peel it. I think too much yogurt makes it gross, sometimes I skip out on yogurt all together.
  • stephreed11
    stephreed11 Posts: 158 Member
    Yum! Thanks for all the recipes guys! Can't wait to try them :)
  • cba4994
    cba4994 Posts: 147 Member
    bump
  • hillaryous
    hillaryous Posts: 1 Member
    I make this smoothie daily. It has so many vitamins and minerals and you can't taste the spinach at all!

2 handfuls fresh spinach
    1 banana
    2 tbsp greek yogurt
    a splash of skim milk
    any frozen fruit you want (I use strawberries, mango, and pineapple)
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Any with bananas! :) Strawberry/ banana is probably my favorite. I like to eat bananas when they just turn yellow, but in the smoothie you get more banana taste if they are a little further ripened. I've used fresh strawberries, but prefer the frozen that have more flavor. I like to add yogurt too.
    Blueberries are good to add! Sometimes it's just whatever fruit/yogurt etc is in the fridge. Just keep adding things until it tastes good! :)
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Replace your OJ with milk... It'll taste great!

1)
    Banana
    Chocolate soy milk
    Vanilla protein powder
    Ice cubes... Omit the banana for just a chocolate milkshake taste

2) frozen berries
    Skim milk
    Vanilla protein powder

3)peaches & (best frozen)
    Vanilla protein powder
    Skim milk
    1/4 c vanilla Greek yogurt
  • vegangirl88
    vegangirl88 Posts: 104 Member
    Just posted this in another thread but it fits here too!!

Try this avocado yumminess:

1/4 small pineapple
    2 golden delicious apples
    1/2 ripe avocado (de-stoned and peeled)
    1 medium banana (peeled)

Juice the pineapples and the apples. Put the avocado, banana and juice in a blender and whizz up 'til smooth. Enjoy!!

(From Jason Vale's Keeping It Simple)

The info in the book says:

Contains essential fats, amino acids, fibre, vitamins A, B, B6, C and E, riboflavin, iron, calcium, copper, phosphorus, zinc, boron, niacin, magnesium, folic acid and carotenes.
  • Sookie_182
    Sookie_182 Posts: 72 Member
    I absolutely love this one:

Strawberries,
    Raspberrys
    Bananna
    Orange juice
    and you can add in fat free yoghurt but I don't usually

and it is absolutely delicious!!!! :smile:
  • tamspat
    tamspat Posts: 23
    bump