Soup diet!?

Options
FR89
FR89 Posts: 186 Member
Need some soup diet tips... as weight isnt shifting i've decided to give soup diet a go..

1) Which soup is best for soup diet? or is it ok to have different varieties? (any nice filling recipes?)

2) Should i replace either lunch or dinner with soup or BOTH!?

3) Soup on its own or is it ok to have a piece of bread with it?

Please share any soup diet tips you may have... x

Replies

• babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    in the end you will burn less calories on a soup diet because it takes less energy to digest and you dont have to chew... there is nothing about this diet that will improve your weight loss, just keep at a calorie defecit and it will work.
  • oberon0124
    oberon0124 Posts: 10,527 Member
    Options
    Sacred heart soup directions can be found on the internet. It is a vegtable soup that is great. I eat it for lunch every day and have had great success. I agree with babyblake you must eat regular meals also. Just healthy calorie reduced meals. Good lucj!
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    There is nothing magical about soup. Why would there be? At the end of the day your calorie intake(in soup form or otherwise) and exercise will determine whether you lose weight.

Good luck
    Phil
  • lucyd12
    Options
    If you eat the rights soups you can easily overcome a plateau in weight loss. Clear soups usually have the least calories, but vegetables are also very low in calories. Weight watchers have a great range of low calories soups. While on the soup diet resist from snacking on carbs. If you need solid food go for protein rich food, such as ham, chicken or fish. Vegetables are also good to snack on but keep to soup as much as possible.
  • almille
    almille Posts: 89
    Options
    I haven't called it a 'soup diet' but I use soup often to fill up on a low-calorie healthy food. I make a variety of vegetable soups and eat a small serving before meals pretty often. Plus, they're really easy to make in huge batches and freeze for lunches/emergency snacks. My normal recipe is dead simple and cheap. Sautee an onion, add a box of chicken or vegetable broth, a box of frozen chopped spinach and a box of frozen chopped broccoli. Bring to a simmer, and either eat as is or blend smooth.
    cons: high sodium :(
    Might be bland for some, but I love it and dress it up lots of different ways.

Even higher calorie soups with meat, beans or cream are generally lower calorie for their 'filling'ness than other foods because of their water content. Experiment!

Lots of these are really good, and Cooking Light has nutrition information for their recipes on the left sidebar!
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/healthy-soup-recipes-00412000070018/
  • Heidiwarwick
    Heidiwarwick Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been having soup at least twice a day for nearly every day since mid may. I have gone from size 12 to size 8 and lost inches from my waist (now 25")
    I just bung 4 carrots, 3 large onions, 1 parsnip, 4 celery sticks, 2 cans of chopped tomatoes, a whole cauliflower and an equal amount of broccoli into a large pan with some water. Maybe cloves of garlic and some black pepper. I always have a small slice of bread. To me, it tastes delicious and I never tire of it.
    You could always have a small bowl before a meal as it would suppress your appetite.
    When I originally weighed my ingredients I calculated that one bowl would be less than 60 calories. The root vegetables and the ones which have the most calories but it has totally worked for me.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    If I recall correctly the goal behind the soup diet was that they tend to be low calorically, so you would have less trouble staying within your daily limit.

Canned soups tend to have a metric ****ton (yes that's a scientific measurement) of sodium so if you go with those try to find ones that are low in that area.

Best bet for soups is to make your own at home. You can vary the ingredients to make sure you're getting everything you need nutritionally.

All that being said, the soup diet is just a diet, if you don't plan on sticking with it forever you may want to consider picking up a diet that you can sustain indefinitely.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I swear by soup I honestly do It fills you up and you can use it inbetween meals to satisfy you. I make a huge pan everyweek and have it there when ever I want it. My fave is tomato and red pepper try its yummy....

4 red peppers (cut up and dry roasted in oven)
    2 large onions cut up and dry roasted in oven
    5 tins of chopped tomatoes.
    2 tbsp of tomato puree
    5 tbsp of lea n perrins.
    salt and pepper and half a pint of water
    2 chicken stock cubes.
    Garlic clove

roast the veg in oven once soft put in large pan. add toms, chicken stock and lea n perrins bring to the boil and blitz with a hand
    blender. I freeze it in tubs and take it out when I want to use it. I add a splash of carrabian hot sauce or a chilli if I want to make it spicy. It also makes a great pasta sauce with chicken x
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I would make my own soup because canned soup is loaded with sodium. I ofter make it in the winter. I usually make it in my slow cooker. I usually start with a chicken carcass and cook the meat off it, remove the bones and throw in whatever veg I got in the fridge. I usually put lentils in as well. Then I make some wholemeal rolls. Makes a nice meal.
  • FR89
    FR89 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    thank you for a ll the tips :smile:

I have just gone and bought myself spicey bean and tomatoe soup from the canteen with half of brown baguette!! hopefully it will keep me full for longer.. i'll try to stick to soup for lunch and not any other available options - no matter how tempting they are!:frown:

I shall also try to make my own soup for the evenings (i've never made soup in my life - apart from the packet ones where you just add water!:indifferent: ) i'll let you know how it goes!

@Heidiwarwick - I am currently a size 12 and would love to be a size 8! I hope soup works for me too.

xx
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm loving all the soup recipes!

Agree with others who say its just a good way of filling up on relatively low calories. I always tend to want something to chew on with it, so I go for chunky soups, and a mini pack of rice cakes or oatcakes.

When I did slimming world this was a lovely recipe which would last all week (and /or freeze). I liked it chunky but its also good smooth. hmm might have to go shopping and make this soon.

12 speed soup

1 can mixed bean salad
    1 can green lentils
    2 cans chopped tomatoes
    1 can baked beans
    Handful of split lentils
    2 large leeks
    1 large onion
    4 medium carrots
    2 parsnips
    Green, red & yellow pepper
    Butternut squash
    Garlic to taste
    2 beef or chicken or vegetable stock cubes
    Salt pepper
    Mixed herbs
    Water (enough to cover all ingredients)

1) Find your biggest pan
    2) Throw that aside and find something bigger(!)
    3) Chop everything up, chuck it all in, bring to boil and simmer for 30 minutes.

You can, of course, halve the ingredients pretty easily. I tended to do use frozen onion and peppers as a time saver, and it doesn't really matter if you mess about with more or less of any of the ingredients. Sorry I don't know calorie content, it would need working out.

Fake Heinz tomato soup
    2 tin tomatoes,
    1 tin baked beans,
    1 tin carrots, drained
    1 tsp chicken stock,
    half cup water,
    1 medium pickled onion (secret ingredient, must be pickled!)

Blend all of the above until smooth and warm through.
    Blitz together in food processor and heat

I also love a bit of carrot and coriander soup, or leek and potato. mmmmm.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    in the end you will burn less calories on a soup diet because it takes less energy to digest and you dont have to chew... there is nothing about this diet that will improve your weight loss, just keep at a calorie defecit and it will work.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

Except this is wrong. The difference in calories from digestion and chewing isn't substantial enough to make a diet succeed or fail (hence why the celery diet doesn't work either).
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options

Except this is wrong. The difference in calories from digestion and chewing isn't substantial enough to make a diet succeed or fail (hence why the celery diet doesn't work either).

im not saying it will necessarily make a significant difference but it wont make a difference to weight loss either if the calorie intake remains the same.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

im not saying it will necessarily make a significant difference but it wont make a difference to weight loss either if the calorie intake remains the same.

Given the clarification...withdrawn. =)
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I've got a batch of chicken soup in my crock pot right now. I chopped 5 carrots(about 1/4 inch pieces), 4 celery stalks and 1 large onion(quartered). I placed three bone in chicken breasts(skin removed) on top and seasoned with salt and pepper. I also added a healthy dose of fresh dill from my garden which I had in the freezer. I plan on cooking noodles separately later for my family but I will not have them since I am watching my carbs and in general not eating much wheat. It's actually my first time making this in the crock pot so I hope it comes out good! Oh, I'm cooking it 8-10 hours, per recipes I've seen on the internet.
  • christinesharland
    christinesharland Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love spicy (curry powder) parsnip soup, but made with semi skimmed milk and a vegetable stock cube..............Mmmmmmmmmmm

Not sure how healthy that is!! It does seem so............And I think its low in calories.

I don't think there is anything in the idea that we don't expand any energy in eating soup; I mean how much energy does it take to eat or digest anything! Wouldn't think it was a great deal.
    Keep thoughts and ideas simple.......Surely less calories equals less weight! More exercise means more weight loss too!

I'm not doing well regards weight loss so I am going to try soup and salads....... for lunches at least Spring makes it easier to eat salads For me anyway!! Good luck everyone.