I need help with BIG weight loss!

Options
Hello all, I am competing in a Biggest Loser game and the prize is $500! I REALLY want to win, but with SO many ways to lose weight out there I am confused as to which will work the best. This is only week one and I have already lost almost 5 lbs., just with exercise and low calorie/carb. But I want your feedback as to which way is the best to go? Low calorie? Low carb? Low fat? High protein? High exercise? I have 5 weeks from Saturday to win and some hefty competition. Please don't yell at me and reply with the only way to take it off is to do it slowly, cause I don't believe that. I think that fast weight loss is awesome and a great motivator. Here is an example: 2 days ago I got on the scale and had lost 4.5 pounds, in 4 days! I was so happy and so ready to work at it another day. then this morning I get on the scale and I have gained a pound, and I am ready to give up on it! Big losses are good for motivation.
Anyway, I am trying to keep calories to round 1000-1200. I am not eating any white stuff, bread, flour, rice, potatoes ect.
And I am trying to exercise at least 30 minutes a day. Please let me know what has worked for you in the past.
Thanks!

Replies

• GreenTea703
    Options
    You will need to work out at least 2 hours a day, low carb you are already doing, drink insane amounts of water, and you need to eat AT LEAST 1200, esp if u plan to work out 30 mins+ not under or your body will think its starving. By switching to low carb folks lose like 10 lbs easily so dont go on that, you need to work out. To win anything like that, 30 mins a day is kinda low.

BUT good luck to you! I dont stress losing it fast, your skin might not be as happy with it, but the main thing is keeping it off, because fast lost, fast gain.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    High intensity interval training - google it. It raises your calorie burn long after exercise is over. I would also work on more workout time but include one day off a week (take a walk instead of intense exercise) so your body can recover and rest. Good luck and try not to let the ups and downs of the scale determine your motivation, you're giving an inanimate object far too much power over your life.
  • spim
    spim Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Workout as often as you can for as long as you can, low impact preferably to minimise risk of injury.
  • cbmich1860
    cbmich1860 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I just started this journey, but I want to wish you lots of success! All I can say is just hang in there and what is working for me... I eat my carbs in the early part of the day and keep my calories at 1200 or more (so i do not loose muscle). I am like you that seeing weight reduction gives me motivation... although I have in the past lost weight fast and gained it back and more, so just keep that in mind.

Weather you win or loose this challenge just remember you are doing something healthy for your self. Good luck!!

One saying that helps me is "You can go thru the pain of displine now, or the pain of regret later"
  • TheTonyPony
    Options
    Fast weightloss is great, sure. If you like saggy skin and short term results.
  • tmaksparkie
    Options
    I will not yell at you for losing fast, and yes make sure you use a good lotion for skin and plenty of water. But I also do low carb but NOT low calorie. I eat primal/paleo so high fat, moderate protein, low carb.
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that with higher amounts of activity level the body will need more fuel! Don't completely cut carbs! Just go for healthier ones (brown rice and whole grains), these are a major part of your body's fuel, ask any competitive athlete. Bump up your protein too if you're working out more, you need to rebuild those muscles. Don't drop below 1200 calories, as stated before, you're body will go into starvation mode and weight loss will slow down (the last thing you want!), And, last but not least, WATER, WATER, WATER! Good luck and don't give up!
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You're going to need more than 1200 cals a day if you are working out hard.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    The frustrating (but true) answer is: no one can answer this but you. Everyone's body is different, everyone's metabolism works differently. This is why people get into these knock-down drag-out fights on some forums: there are people who swear by being vegan, it's the only thing that worked for them. And there are people who swear by being Paleo / Primal, it's the only thing that worked for them. Neither group is lying. They're just different.

If what you're doing is working, stick with it. Even if it stops working for a week or two, stick with it (my weight loss, personally, has always been a monthly thing rather than weekly. I blame hormones). If it stops working for a long time, listen to your body and adjust what you're doing. Most of the time, if you're doing something unhealthy, your body will give you hints. If you do hit a plateau, the forums here are very good for finding suggestions to get over it. People are usually very supportive & helpful about sharing what worked for them. FOR THEM. But ultimately, it's going to be your own process of trial and error.

Remember that the scale is only one measure of success. If you are replacing fat with muscle, you will become more toned and less flabby and will lose inches around, even if you see the scale stay the same, because a pound of muscle is more dense than a pound of fat. Also, sore muscles retain water, and many other factors (even the humidity outside!) can make your body retain water & give the illusion that you're not losing weight. Just remember, the ultimate goal isn't a number on a scale, it's a more healthy lifestyle.

Good luck to you!
  • reba971
    reba971 Posts: 80
    Options
    Thank you for all the tips!
    I forgot to put on there that I started this Biggest loser game because my husband and I needed a push for a reason to get healthy. Everyone who is in it is my family and we all needed this to get us going toward a better lifestyle. We have these cook outs and you would not believe the fattening crap everyone brings and eats! I try to add healthy stuff but it never gets eaten, at least until last!
    It is only a 2 month game, and my hope is that after that everyone will see how good they look and continue with their weight loss.
    I am trying very hard to motivate everyone and keep them on track, but at the same time I am not very motivated myself! What a hypocrite! Anyway, our first weigh in is Saturday morning so we will see...
    I will make sure I eat at least 1200 calories a day some days when I am eating really good for me food that seems like A LOT of food though! But I do love to eat!
    Thank you again and any other tips would be greatly appreciated.