Fish suggestions

Dauntlessness
Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
edited October 4 in Food and Nutrition
I really want to eat more fish but I cant eat strong tasting stuff. Any suggestions? I also don't know how to cook it...maybe on the grill?
I like fish sticks but I haven't had any luck with the non breaded type stuff so fresh is the way to go for me I think.

Replies

• NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Haddock on the gill or broiled is great.
  • Cod is a very mild fish. You can bake it, grill it, or fry it in 1 tbs. of olive oil. Give it a try. You will be pleasantly surprised.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 778 Member
    I love grilled Salmon (too fishy for some)...Another favorite is grilled talapia (or other mild fish) on corn tortillas, with cabbage & homemade sauce (greek yogurt & adobo peppers). Yum!

Fish tacos are the best!!!!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    I love to make a salad with fish on it. First I take a big serving of greens (spinach or mixed greens or whatever you have on hand). Then a add some diced tomato and cucumber. I saute some onions and mushroom and add that. I bake a small salmon fillet or haddock fillet in the oven at 350 degrees, and I also bake some sliced potatoes on the same sheet and add that to the top of the salad. Add your favourite dressing and there you have it.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    The easiest way I have found to cook fish and not have to worry about it getting dried out is to wrap it in aluminum foil and throw it on a grill or in a 375-400ish degree oven or (preferably and where I learned this) in the coals of a campfire for about 25 minutes. I usually put whatever seasoning and maybe some slices of onion and lemon in the foil packet with it. Just about any fish will work. The best is fresh caught brook trout.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    skinnytaste.com :D
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Salmon, tilapia, cod are great. You can add spices to make it taste less "fishy." Lemon juice, dill, celery salt, different cheeses & veggies with it... just experiment.
    I have a George Foreman grill, it's awesome for fish. And for shrimp kabobs! Also, the suggestion of wrapping it in foil (with some spices, cheese, veggies) and baking it is a good idea.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    I like Haddock and Sole. I put some lemon,a drop of olive oil and some spices on a peice,wrap it in foil in bake it in the oven. Try healthy alternatives to breading (I've heard of people using whole wheat crackers,high fibre cereal etc)
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Wow, Thanks so much! You are all amazing :)
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Try salt dome cooking. There are recipies on the food network website, but basically you take a whole cleaned fish, fill its cavity with lemon and fresh spices, and cover the whole thing in a dome made of salt and egg white. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes and you have a great tasting fish. I have done it with talapia and bass, but can probably be done with any small, whole fish. Plus, the salt does not get into the fish so no added sodium.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    I'm with you... if it smells like fish, it's not fresh. Try to find the COLD WATER fish (Atlantic coast or Arctic). I'm finding that most of the whitefish is nicer. I tried the new French's Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce (available in most supermarkets) with mine. I put one level tablespoon of it on the plate along with a tablespoon of light ranch dressing. Swirl it with the edge of your spoon and place your fish portion on top of the blended sauce. Something else that's nice with whitefish is MANGO-PEACH SALSA (no, it's not too spicy). I use the Santa Barbara brand of that product. Two tablespoons of it is only 25 calories.

You are really smart to eat more fish meals...having at least 4 fish meals/week will keep your digestive system a lot happier and you'll lose the fat easier. Pay attention to the type of fish though...tilapia is an omega-6 fish (it's a nice whitefish) so it's probably not the better choice. Halibut is super but very expensive (it's my favorite).

I won't eat mackerel again on a bet~~~it stinks. Can't stand herring either. Here's a web link to an excellent article about omega-3 benefits for your cardiovascular system and general good health benefits:

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/features/low-cholesterol-diet-fatty-fish

Add me to your friends list if you choose and I'll be delighted to answer further questions. If I don't have the answer you might need at the time, I'll find it for you.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Most important: do NOT overcook any fish! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Yes, on the grill is great. We usually grill or pan saute all types of fish, with varying spices. Most fish really shouldn't have a "fishy" taste. This is often caused by the fish not being fresh or by overcooking.
This discussion has been closed.