Weight gain from not eating enough and exercising too much.

Options
Can someone explain WHY you gain weight when you exercise too much and don't eat enough? I have a friend who is doing just that. She's working out for an hour a day, burning 500 calories and eating around 1100 a day, so only netting 600. She just called me in tears because she gained 3lbs since monday and wants to know why. I don't have the answer, so I thought I'd ask you fine folks!

If anyone can explain this please do so I can let her know why she is gaining and if it's fat or not. SHe's also drinking about a gallon of water a day and doing a low carb diet if that helps.

I told her she needs to eat more, or back off the exercise but I don't quite know why.

Thanks so much everyone!
Lisa

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I'm interested hearing some opinions on this too.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Either its water or the numbers are wrong, she cant gain weight on a defecit like that, trash yourself sure but not put on fat.

Outside possibility, shes not 3ft tall is she?
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Her body is rebelling against starvation and therefore has slowed down it's metabolism and is holding on to fat as a source of energy.
  • awkwwward
    Options
    I don't think that it's so much you "gain" weight in a case like that but that you don't lose it at all because your body is holding on to it for dear life. All that working out is likely building muscle on a very sluggish metabolism (due to too few cals) and she's likely holding on to water as well. I'll never get why people treat their bodies like crap and expect it to provide miracles. Like any abusive relationship, eventually something gives lol.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    If she didnt eat a 10,500 calorie excess she did not gain fat.

Anything happening like that is primarily down to water more often than not.
  • kirstengirl
    Options
    I have a friend and the same thing is happening to her. I can't explain it either, only what I've read on here - you have to eat your exercise calories. I just took it as a good thing and eat them and didn't really look into the why. I am sure it's on here somewhere. Maybe it's the quality of food she's eating?
  • Insinr8r
    Options
    I am no expert but could it be that she is building muscle from the work outs and also it might be fluid retention. I was doing the low carb diet and drinking heaps and found that i was putting on weight. It was only when I started to introduce a bit more carbs and walking lots and drinking only when I was thirsty that my weight started to come down. Tell her not to give up but let her body readjust and then it will all happen. Ask her also to measure herself because that will give her a better indication if she is truly toning up if she is losing inches/cm.
    Hope this helps.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    One hour of working out isn't a lot. She is just not eating enough to make up for the calories; in other words she is starving herself of the nutrition she needs to even fucntion properly. So the body is storing everything she eats as fat.
    Sometimes less is not more.
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    To me it seems that she is putting her body into starvation mode and her body is holding onto all the calories it can get. This is natural for everyones body. What she needs to do is up her calorie intake to about 1200 depending on her height and weight. (I am 5'2" 160lbs age 22 and this is my intake) Then she needs to workout at least 3 times a week (which it seems like she is doing) for at least 30 minutes.

Drink lots of water! lots and lots of water! This will flush the sodium from her body and help her lose any water weight.

She should drop pounds soon enough. This is what I have been doing and I am down 7 pounds!

I am not sure where I found this information but I read somewhere that eating 1200 is the lowest a female should go with calories before your body is in starvation mode. And without exercise and eating 1200 even you can still lose weight. Ill have to look for the website on this....
  • daram05
    daram05 Posts: 80
    Options
    Per MyFitnessPal:

"Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1,200 calories per day minimum."

I hope this helps...

Good Luck :smile:
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I always explain the same way... if you lost your job you wouldn't run out and spend all your money. Your body is no different. If you're limited on calorie "income", your body holds on to what it has for future use.
    It's as simple as that!
    Earn more calorie income and the body doesn't mind spending more.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I understand the starvation mode stuff, but what I don't get is...how do anorexic people lose weight then??
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    She should not, for one thing eat below 1200..that is a minimum for her body to even be able to sustain itself in just DAILY normal activities. She should be eating back at least most of her exercise calories as she needs to replace the calories used up by the EXTRA calories she's burning by exercise.
    When you don't eat enough, your body's metabolism slows down. For it to burn efficiently and lose weight, she needs to eat enough and spread it out through the day (5-6 times a day to eat..meals and snacks). In this way the metabolism burns constantly, beginning with a good breakfast...
    Every one should eat in this way: for breakfast eat like a king..for lunch eat like a prince..and for dinner eat like a pauper...(with a small snack in between each).
    She is more than likely holding on to water retention because of possible high sodium intake..if she's eating a lot of processed diet foods, it is high in sodium...tell her to ck her sodium intake and to drink more fluid to flush her body....
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    That kind of fluctuation is not fat. And she's not gaining 3 lbs. from a net of 600 calories per day (2400 calories total, less than a lb., in that past 4 days), that ridiculous. It takes longer than 4 days for the body to react to severe calorie depletion and show an appreciable change It's more likely excess fluid retention (monthly hormones are killer) and perhaps some stool (if she hasn't had a bowel movement in a few days...it happens!). There is also the issue that perhaps she mis-weighed herself 4 days ago. And she could also be wildly underestimating her intake and/or overestimating her workout calories.

Tell her to stop crying, make sure she is accurately counting calories and increase her intake to a reasonable level. If she has such an overwhelming reaction to weight fluctuations, she should not weigh herself so often.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode = "makes weight loss more difficult" doesnt stop or reverse weight loss and takes a long time to kick in

Muscle = it takes a lot of hard work and eating right to develop new muscle, 3lbs of new muscle is fantastic going for a month of serious training

Water = 3 pints and you just gained 3lbs, retaining water is a likely candidate.

Numbers = Simply getting it wrong, portion control etc, underestimating food eaten and overestimating exercise calories burned, another likely candidate.

my 2p worth.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I understand the starvation mode stuff, but what I don't get is...how do anorexic people lose weight then??
    Starvation mode doesn't negate severe calorie depletion all together. It just slows it down. People DO lose weight when under severe calorie depletion. People DO die from it as well.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain WHY you gain weight when you exercise too much and don't eat enough?

You don't. At least not weight in fat.
    How long has your friend been doing this, and how accurate are these numbers?
    How often does she weigh herself?
    Is this a new development of suddenly 3 pounds in a week? If so, it may be a different scale, water retention, weighed before a bowel movement, TOM, etc, etc....
    Does she track sodium? A lot of low-calorie foods can be insanely high in sodium, causing bloating and water retention like crazy (i.e. pickles).

Also, to address 'starvation mode'...
    That is a mode that is challenging to get into. If she's routinely eating far too few calories for about a month (or at least 21 days) then her body MAY begin going into starvation mode. Exercise actually helps prevent this because your metabolism is naturally increased.
    As someone who has been in starvation mode, though, it takes a lot of effort to get to that point, and it's fairly easy to snap out of (physically... mentally may be another ordeal).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

If you sustain a very low calorie diet then your body will use any fat/tissue/muscle available. generally anorexic people starve themselves (and possibly over exercise) for a long time to get to the anorexic 'look' that you are probably thinking about.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options

Anorexic people lose weight by going past the bit of starvation mode where your body holds onto everything it can. They just starve themselves completely. Your body can only adapt so much to a reduced calorie intake - if you stop putting fuel in your mouth, it will eventually burn off everything it can, including muscle.
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options

Eventually even in starvation you will lose weight (It's physically impossible to not lose weight in that sort of deficit over a good length of time), however the weight loss will be much slower and quite unhealthy.