Too much protein?

Options
LeihaS
LeihaS Posts: 48 Member
Every day I always go significantly over on my protein.

Usually I don't go over on my calories, fat or carbs

is too much protein a bad thing?

Idk if it matters too- but I'm breastfeeding my 2 month old daughter.

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Every day I always go significantly over on my protein.

Usually I don't go over on my calories, fat or carbs

is too much protein a bad thing?

Idk if it matters too- but I'm breastfeeding my 2 month old daughter.

No, doesn't matter.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I use the MFP set amount of protein as a minimum; rather than a maximum. Protein is good =)
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    By how much are you going over usually? Because maybe it's possible too much protein is a bad thing.
  • FrayedKnot
    Options
    Hi
    I'm on the (protein) Dukan diet , on the basis that proteins are assimilated into the body slowly, and make you feel full.
    Works for me, but can't help with the breastfeeding bit!
    Good luck.
    Cheers
    Steve
    PS Feel free to make me a friend.
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it as long as you are keeping calories under control and feeling well. It would be difficult to eat too much of anything when calories are restricted. :) Congrats on the little one.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I use the MFP set amount of protein as a minimum; rather than a maximum. Protein is good =)

Me too - and a BARE minimum at that.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You should be eating 40% on protein and 30% each on fat and carbs...Unless you're eating an over abundance of protein it doesn't hurt to eat more...there are some who workout that eat way more protein than they should but they also know to drink a lot of water along with that, but those are people that are body builders..so what we may typically think as too much protein in our little diets is not too much...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    No, actually in a deficit more protein is essential for nitrogen balance and the anabolic effects of weight training can halt or reverse the loss of muscle mass. This is important simply because we want to lose fat when we lose weight, not muscle. also you have to keep in mind the RDA of protein from most sources are in place to stave off malnutrition, so think of your protein number as a minimal requirement. If you talk to any sports oriented dietition you will probably be told to consume a lot more than what is recommended here. Basically going over is a good thing. imo
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are otherwise healthy it probably doesn't matter. If you have any disease or condition, especially one that affects your kidneys, you should definitley discuss it with your doctor.