How do you refind motivation?

Options
You know that point in your weight loss when the numbers slowly start creeping back up, but that pizza in the fridge is speaking louder than the scale??

Tips to help me get back on track, before it's too late

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Do you have a way to incorporate foods you enjoy into your daily caloric totals, without sabotaging them?

For example, eat some pizza in moderation and don't go over your totals?
  • ajsdream
    ajsdream Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I hope you find some good answers! I also have that problem. If I let myself slip, it might take me 3 weeks to get back on track.

This time around, I am eating more calories (2000) in a day, so that seems to be helping with wanting to snack on the "bad" stuff. And even if I do want the bad stuff, I can easily fit it into my day now!

I feel guilty about this, but seeing a picture of a friend from high school motivated me to get back on track this time. After 2 kids, she still looks like she did in high school, and I don't! I'd be sooooo embarrassed if I ran into her today! (We were always super-competitive throughout school.)

AJ
  • kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options
    Whenever I have a bad day (go over by 1000+ cals) I look in the mirror and realize if it keeps going all my progress will be gone and I will not fit into anything again =\
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    When that happens to me I KNOW that it's a control thing. Figure that out, or eat some pizza and go on an immediate walk.
  • Steph62002
    Options
    I started writing down my goals, taking progress pics and measurements. I'm big on visual motivation! It comes down to willpower and how bad you want it. Trust me, been there and still doing it!

We all have those days when we eat that extra slice of pizza, or an extra cookie. Don't let that throw you off. Pick back up and keep on going. You've lost 25 lbs already, which is awesome!! Keep thinking about your ultimate goal and how good you will feel!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Pictures of myself always do it for me. Seriously-- someone snaps a photo of me at an office party, I see my behind creeping back, and that gets me into gear. OR if I'm feeling immediately tempted, I go try to put on my skinny jeans. If they're too tight that's enough motivation for me.

That said, it's a marathon not a sprint, so if you do cave and have pizza (or better yet, plan it into your calories if you're craving) you have to be able to just pick up and keep going and know that one splurge isn't going to hurt you in the long run. It's when you can't stop splurging that you have a problem.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    keep logging in!! I'm right there with you, right now!! trying to find my motivation too. It has happened to me before and will happen again. Keep coming to MFP and you will get back eventually.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    sign up for some races. like a 5k, or a bike tour. having an external goal, instead of just an internal goal, like a weight number, has helped me out a lot. knowing that you need to run 3 miles in a month is surprisingly motivating.
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with this as well, as I have mono and have been set back. And my appetite has increased, because I sit around all day, not decreased. And I have a sore throat so all I want to eat is ice cream and such. Although I've been brought down by mono, I read others stories and realize my case really wasn't that bad. And I attribute that to my healthy lifestyle prior to contracting it--I worked out and ate healthy through it all, to the point I didn't think I had it when people suggested I did because I simply wasn't experiencing the fatigue. It's awesome to know you can put your body in a better position to fight off infections by giving it what it needs.

What keeps me motivated is both the goals I set for myself as well as, like someone above me mentioned, people. I'm motivated to continue my journey (After I get better, to lose what I put on as well as more) by a trip to Florida with my boyfriend, who just bought me my first bikini (oh dear Lord..). I'm also motivated by people in my past. When I go home, I want people to look at me, and instead of like everyone else who has gained weight since high school, I've done the opposite, and I've never been healthier and never looked better. Great motivation for me was seeing this past summer that my ex boyfriend (whom I don't like very much, who used to be really fit) had quite the belly on him, while I was running around fast and easy, thinner and fitter than ever. I felt really good about it.

AND don't limit yourself! Have the pizza every once in awhile, otherwise it won't work. Finding that moderation is definitely the hardest thing. But allow for it in your diary, plan for it, and if you go off track one day, use that as motivation that you don't want to feel that way every day, and get right back to it
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I just keep telling myself nothing taste as good as being skinny feels. I also don't keep food in the house that I can't control my intake of.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Honestly....
    I pinch the squish around my waist and I remind myself that it'll only get bigger if I continue to eat whatever I want, whenever I want it.
    I threw out all the cookies, candy, ice cream, etc from the house.
    I preschedule a bad day, and its not once a week like most, its more like once every other week.
    I pick up my weights and visualize that additional amount of weight being tacked onto me.
    I look at old pics of myself.
    I put my elliptical right infront of my TV in the living room as a reminder.
    I put on the smallest thing in my closet and tell myself that it will no longer fit if I continue to destroy all the hard work I already put in.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Been going through this myself. I recently hit a clothing size I haven't been for some time, and am feeling OK with myself, but I would like to push on through to a size smaller and healthier weight. I have found myself slipping recently, so have set myself a new goal of fitting into a size smaller dress at Christmas, and that seems to have got me back on track. I suspect short term goals may be the way forward, and when you hit one, pat yourself on the back and immediately set yourself another one.
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You can have that pizza IF you can afford the calories for it.Exercising can add calories for times when you may have a craving.Eat a slice and enjoy, don't eat the whole pizza and it take away all the hard work you have put into your workouts.I wish you the best,the main thing is we all slip and fall,but to get back up and try again is what counts.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    You know that point in your weight loss when the numbers slowly start creeping back up, but that pizza in the fridge is speaking louder than the scale??

Tips to help me get back on track, before it's too late

It REALLY is NOT about the scale! It IS about changing your eating style/habits. Believe it or not, if the scale is your motivating factor, you will go up and down with it. Make healthy eating/Your Eating Plan your goal and the weight will come off along with all of the other wt related problems (hopefully for Life.) It does not take OUTSIDE motivation to DO one's Duty. Do you owe yourself and loved ones Good Health? Eating Healthy does NOT mean abandoning all "fun/enjoyable" foods. Maybe when you learn to incorporate some of these foods into your caloric and nutritional intake, they won't call to you...and if they do, you will be able to say I'll see you on Wednesday for dinner (2 Slices and a salad.)
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I just keep telling myself nothing taste as good as being skinny feels. I also don't keep food in the house that I can't control my intake of.

This!!! And I think of the progress I have made so far and how good it makes me feel...
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    sign up for some races. like a 5k, or a bike tour. having an external goal, instead of just an internal goal, like a weight number, has helped me out a lot. knowing that you need to run 3 miles in a month is surprisingly motivating.

^^^^THIS^^^^
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    do the activity in my will power blog below. the activity will help you fight complacency, doubt, frustration, etc. if you don't like being overweight, you will find powerful enough things to include in your list that will help you get back on track.
  • Cinbeth
    Cinbeth Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Love your will power blog! Going to do that the next time I feel like the pantry and goodies are calling me!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Love your will power blog! Going to do that the next time I feel like the pantry and goodies are calling me!

that's great...but it might be easier to do the activity when your mindset is strong...so that you only have to read your list when the goodies are calling.