SCALE SCARE

Options
I just bought a new scale a few weeks ago at the recommendation of a few fine people here (Can't remember the name, but I love it). The old scale would give a different read out almost everytime you stepped on it....

So my new one seemed to be very accurate, giving the exact same weight each time. This moring I got on and it showed a 4 pound gain!!!! I was like what!? I didn't work out that much and I didn't eat perfect, but for the first time in a few weeks I hadn't had any fast food and I thought I did pretty well.

I knew I couldn't have eaten bad enough to gain 4 pounds, or even enough sodium to cause that much water retention. As soon as I stepped off the scale read "error" so I stepped back on and it revealed a pound loss from last week. Whew! I almost had a heart attack!

Replies

• tammylwv
    tammylwv Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the scale has to recalibrate. Mine works that way. You step on, let it get your weight, step off and it calibrates and then you weigh as normal. But this is only if it's been moved. I got a real good one and highly recommended one off Amazon.com.

Glad things worked out and YAY for your loss. :)
  • FelizMi
    FelizMi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't so much focus on the weight anymore, because my weight fluxuates so much, not netting a loss practically all year, but my inches and clothes size are dropping pretty well. And my body is firming up and I am seeing less dimples and fat. :-)

I know I will flux up to 5 lbs day to day, even morning to evening, or from before and after going to the bathroom. In fact this morning, I got on it once, hopped off and then got on it again and it was a pound difference...SMH. Maybe I need a new scale, lol! But if you see things you don't like on the scale, don't freak out, just keep working and focus on how you feel and how your clothes are fitting.
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I bought a 40ish dollar scale and it fluctuates like a MF'er.

My parents' scale is 100+ and it fluctuates a lot less but our bodies fluctuate a LOT too.

Once I got on the scale just as I was passing because it had been moved to the middle of my bathroom for some reason. I had gained a TON but then I realized I was holding my 13 pound cat. Talk about scare..
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I bought a 40ish dollar scale and it fluctuates like a MF'er.

My parents' scale is 100+ and it fluctuates a lot less but our bodies fluctuate a LOT too.

Once I got on the scale just as I was passing because it had been moved to the middle of my bathroom for some reason. I had gained a TON but then I realized I was holding my 13 pound cat. Talk about scare..

HAHA, yeah that's how I weigh my cats....weigh myself, then get back on while holding them to see the difference. Even though I know why it goes up, I hate seeing that bigger number (one cat weighs 13 pounds, the other is 9). That must have really freaked you out before you realized why, lol.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!