Does anyone have problems when they get home??

Options
Morning. Ok, I seem to do alright during the day when I am at work. But I get home from work and all bets are off. Eating well goes out the window and I eat like I'm starving and food is going away forever. Am i the only one that has this problem? Any suggestions? It's like I want into the door at home and lose ALL control!

Replies

• asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Are you actually hungry or just eating out og boredom? Do you have a snack at work in the afternoon?
  • FAVOLOSOMII
    FAVOLOSOMII Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Are you an emotional eater? Also, it helps me to think about what I'm putting in my mouth before I do it and then when I think about logging it and perhaps "disappointment" setting in when I weigh in, I don't eat it...

Hope it gets better!
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    For me I dont have anything I can eat in an instant apart from ryvitas and cottege cheese, Light philly.. Celery ect. I buy my son and partner things I dont like haha. Then when I come home theres nothing naughty in my temptation x
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Maybe change up your routine when you get home. Clean house, go exercise, take up a hobby. I used to have the same problem but I think it's because I came home and just watched TV so I was eating out of boredom.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Have something healthy to eat on your commute home, that way you'll not be starving when you get in, and can take your time preparing something healthy :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Are you actually hungry when you get home? Maybe have a little snack in the afternoon to tide you over until you can eat a sensible dinner.
  • Legalchica
    Options
    I'm with you. I really have to fight to keep from going overboard when I get home even if I'm not actually hungry. But I know mine is tied to emotional/stress eating and getting home triggers it.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Are you actually hungry or just eating out og boredom? Do you have a snack at work in the afternoon?

Agreed, these are the things that get to me, being bored - so I go open cabinet doors and the fridg looking for something to graze on, or if I didn't have an afternoon snack at work, which buys me time (keeps me full) before I get home and get dinner fixed.
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    GUILTY! I used to do the same thing. I have a better hold on it now, but when I felt out of control I would make some hot chocolate. (with water)...it was so filling that I didn't pig out...most of the time.
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem on the days I teach ( I am a high school substitute teacher). Days when I work my physical labor job are fine or not hungry. Any clues why school makes people hungry?
  • LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing!! I don't know what it is! Here's what I've done which seems to help a lot. I pack a bag of carrots/cucumbers/celery (any combo of the 3) in my lunch but I don't eat it until my commute home. (Although if I'm starving at work it ends up as an afternoon snack). Then, when I get home I allow myself a Blue Bunny lite fudge pop (only 35 calories!). It's frozen, chocolatey and creamy so it takes a while to eat.... AND gives me my chocolate/sweet fix. Then, I find that after sitting down and doing something else while I eat my fudge pop, I don't have that crazy urge when I finish it.

Also, if I'm still having the crazy munchie urge to eat (and I'm trying to save calories for dinner), I go outside and play w/ my dogs or take them on a quick walk.

Hope this helps!
  • jennay611
    Options
    I've had the same problem, so I've started eating some greek yogurt (or other high protein and/or fiber food) about 30 minutes before leaving the office. That stretch from lunch until dinner can be rough without something substantial (nutrition, not calorie-wise) in between. This helps keep me from being so ravenous when I walk in the door after the rush hour commute (or heaven forbid, stop at the grocery store on the way home and impulse buy due to hunger).

I think for me the other aspect is the routine. I say this because even more so than evenings after work, weekends are rough. I'm trying to set rules for myself (i.e. no snacking while watching a movie, fiddling around on the computer, or reading, etc.) to prevent the boredom eating that asyouseefit mentioned.
  • YoungerNextYear59937
    Options
    I used to have that problem, but now I eat a piece of lite string cheese (60 cal) on my way home from work. It keeps me feeling full until dinner.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am currently a stay at home mom, so I have the temptation all day. I thought it would be impossible to keep my eating under control--still have struggles, but what has helped me is a schedule. I make rules for myself--no lunch until after I've worked out. When I feel the munchies coming on I make myself walk outside. I also really try to keep plenty of vegetables to eat. I get rid of trigger foods. If my husband wants chocolate ice cream we try only to get a small container. If it's here I'll eat it. When we go out for all-day excursions and I come back home, I usually will stop and get a yogurt or something while we're out so I'm not starving.
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have, or should I say had this problem. I think because before using MFP I would easily get something bad to eat while watching TV at night but now I have got out that habit, I still have the urge to do it, but I see if I am hungry by waiting a bit longer and if my belly rumbles I will get something to eat but healthier, or make a hot chocolate to fill me up, or take my mind off it by cleaning and see if I can fight it! If you do feel peckish at night time, just make sure you have the right foods to snack on!
  • triski73
    triski73 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Are you an emotional eater? Also, it helps me to think about what I'm putting in my mouth before I do it and then when I think about logging it and perhaps "disappointment" setting in when I weigh in, I don't eat it...

Hope it gets better!

I am an emotional eater and a boredom eater as well. I think that is part of the problem. Last night, though, I was hungry when I got home. Then I made not great decisions and just couldn't stop!
  • triski73
    triski73 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You all have lots of great ideas! I think part of my issue is that we have recently moved into my mom's basement (long story) so now I'm in a home where there is food I wouldn't normally have in my own home. I would NEVER have chips, and we have doritoe and potato chips, etc. And gotta love my brother - he came home with donuts on Saturday! GRRR.

I like the idea of having a healthy snack on the way home or right before I leave the office. I also think that it may help to go for a run right after I get off of work. I used to do this (and it's a struggle to get up on the morning and do it first thing).
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I used to walk in the door and munch away until dinner. Now I've started to have a snack before I leave work, usually a low calorie high fiber, chocolate fix, and have found that I no longer need to munch when I walk in the door. Drinking alot of water during the day helps alot too.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this all the time. I keep the 100 Calorie Pop Secret microwave popcorn, Weight Watchers ice cream and Skinny Cow chocolates around so when I do feel like snacking, I won't feel guilty about it and I don't go over my calories either.
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Maybe change up your routine when you get home. Clean house, go exercise, take up a hobby. I used to have the same problem but I think it's because I came home and just watched TV so I was eating out of boredom.

Ditto this! I don't know if your someone who is into arts and crafts but now instead of eating in front of the tv I have a cup of tea and crochet, paint or cross-stitch in front of the tv. It keeps my mind and hands too busy to think of going into the kitchen.