the bad mom has struck.....

bynsky
bynsky Posts: 15,837 Member
edited October 4 in Chit-Chat
Yep, I was a bad mom last night....

My oldest pulled out his 7th tooth (I think, I've sorta started losing track already) yesterday coming home from school. Daycare was kind enough to put it in a bag for him to bring home and not lose it. He immediately put it in his "tooth fairy pillow" that we made together, and even talked to me about it a few times through the night. Including scooching down on his bed so he wouldn't "hurt" the tooth.

Well, after I put my boys to bed I proceeded to have a couple glasses of mead. I don't know if it was the alcohol content, the fact that I'd exercised in the evening instead of the morning, not eating much, or just that I REALLY needed to drink as it's been a craptastic week.... but I was quite tipsy. Tipsy enough that my husband was laughing at me when he got home, and knew he didn't have a chance of taking advantage of me cause I'd be snoring by the time he came to bed.

This morning, I woke up the boys by hollering up the stairs and turning on the light.... and suddenly I hear a very dejected voice. "Mommy, the tooth fairy didn't come!" FRAK!!!!! I told the kiddo to put it back under his pillow, and that maybe the tooth fairy couldn't find it... or that maybe SOOOO many kids lost teeth yesterday that she ran out of time to get there.

Now, my boy is almost 7... and I'm pretty sure he already suspects that it's either my hubby or myself doing this cause he's an intelligent kid. However, I'm not going to be the one to burst his bubble entirely.

So, would you double the typical reward, or just give a little extra as "interest"????????????

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I did that too, and just told him to wait it out and I gave him the regular amount and a phoney letter of apology. And thanks to Robert Munsch, my kid thinks the toothfairy rides in on a harley, so he's really confused as to why he can't hear her.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    I'd give the standard reward. Kids lose teeth. Parents lie. Why celebrate the norm?
    -wtk
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Bahahaa!!! I'd say a bit of interest, and the explanation that 7 is the last tooth he'll get cash for!!! Sooo cute :)
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    AWE Ive done the same thing...my son is almost 7...luckily the tooth fairy couldnt travel that night cause of the snow...but the extra reward was a $2 bill
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    4 Kids, plenty of booze in the house...you know we have been there, done that. NO doubling!!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    I've done that before. I quickly ( and secretly grabbed some money and put it on the floor next to my daughters bed). I put it between her bed and the nightstand. Then I said a few minutes later...."hey, let's go look again". I said "Oh, look at that, it fell on the floor, you wild sleeper!":laugh:
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Don't feel bad. We did the same thing with our 16 yr old when he was 6. He said, "The tooth fairy hasn't come for my tooth in 2 days!" My husband and I looked at each other with an "oh *kitten*" expression. LOL. We gave him a five dollar bill that evening under his pillow.
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    I have done that, completely forgotten about it only to shoot out of the bed in the morning and race in her room before she wakes up!! I would say add a little extra and maybe a note that she was really busy that night and couldn't collect all her teeth in one night!
  • I have not remembered to do the tooth fairy thing since the very first tooth. Now, when I remember that I forgot, I hide his gift somewhere in the house.

My kids think it's normal for the tooth fairy to play hide and seek with their presents and get up and start searching.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Wait....are you trying to tell me the tooth fairy is not real?
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Bahahaa!!! I'd say a bit of interest, and the explanation that 7 is the last tooth he'll get cash for!!! Sooo cute :)
    No way, i have teenagers and they don't believe now but i BUY there teeth from them.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    How do you get the tooth from under the pillow without waking them up? I always wonder how parents do that!
  • val071418
    val071418 Posts: 96 Member
    [/quote]

When little brother starts losing teeth, then it will be a problem cause he wakes up when I sneeze in the next room and says "bless you Mommy"
    [/quote]

And that is just adorable!! Obnoxious that he is that light of a sleeper but adorable all the same!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    Well I must be a worse mom because when I did that, I just went ahead and told the truth. They already knew anyway and I'm not much for whining. Particularly, things that aren't important, so rather than listen to her whine about the tooth fairy's failure to show I just told her the truth. I gave her a buck and everyone was happy. And even better news, I didn't have to play tooth fairy the next time. I know. I'm a terrible mom!
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Same thing happened to my oldest when he was about 6.I work 3rd shift and my wife told me. So I scribbled a not and said so many kids lost their teeth in New York City that the tooth fairy got caught up and couldn't get here right away. So the money was there when he got home from school.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    4 Kids, plenty of booze in the house...you know we have been there, done that. NO doubling!!

:laugh: :laugh:

I only give him a quarter to begin with, so it's not like it would make a HUGE difference. But I hear what you're saying.

You better check the rule book because we always gave $1 per tooth!!
  • kiwipez
    kiwipez Posts: 144
    My daughter's dance teacher forgot once also.
    She went outside and dented the side of the house next to her daughter's window, sprinkled 'fairy dust' on the ground and the window sill. She told her daughter that it looked like the tooth fairy missed the window and must have hurt herself. The tooth fairy returned that night with an apology letter.

I still wonder how I don't wake up my daughter looking under her pillow...
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,173 Member
    I usually hit the dollar store for a cheap little toy or some bubbles or something like that. My kids have a tendency to lose their cash; so I've found the toys work better. Except, of course, for the last time my daughter lost a tooth & I forgot...while she was in the tub the next night I snuck in & hid a dollar under one of her stuffed animals.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    I'd give the standard reward. Kids lose teeth. Parents lie. Why celebrate the norm?
    -wtk

bwah! thanks for the chuckles...
  • I'm sorry, but this is hilarious! I have forgotten to be Miss Toothfairy damn near every time my kids lost a tooth! I got caught once exchanging the money for the tooth and told my daughter I was "checking to see if she came" LOL....they eventually just thought that the toothfairy was not as magical as Santa, and she'd eventually get there when she could, ha ha ha.
  • How do you get the tooth from under the pillow without waking them up? I always wonder how parents do that!

Tell them to leave it next to the bed because if they accidentally move while the toothfairy is under their pillow they will MURDER her! LMFAO!!
  • couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member

I only give him a quarter to begin with, so it's not like it would make a HUGE difference. But I hear what you're saying.

Tell that to my idiot parents. My daughter lost her first tooth on vacation at their house, and they left her $20!!!!! :grumble: These are the same people who wouldn't leave me a red cent when I swallowed my first one and lost the 2nd at school (no little baggies back then) and lost it on the way home. (to guarantee money, I ripped the 3rd one out myself)

Then she lost the second one a week later down there and they left her a $10 with a note that the $20 was only for the first one. So now she's come to EXPECT $10 freakin' dollars a tooth!!!! Now she knows it's us finally (she's 9) but darn it if she still doesn't expect the freakin' $10 and tells my folks she's expecting her $10.

Ugh. But back to the OP (sorry got sidetracked) I think a note with make up money would be fine.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member

Tell that to my idiot parents. My daughter lost her first tooth on vacation at their house, and they left her $20!!!!! :grumble: These are the same people who wouldn't leave me a red cent when I swallowed my first one and lost the 2nd at school (no little baggies back then) and lost it on the way home. (to guarantee money, I ripped the 3rd one out myself)

Then she lost the second one a week later down there and they left her a $10 with a note that the $20 was only for the first one. So now she's come to EXPECT $10 freakin' dollars a tooth!!!! Now she knows it's us finally (she's 9) but darn it if she still doesn't expect the freakin' $10 and tells my folks she's expecting her $10.

Ugh. But back to the OP (sorry got sidetracked) I think a note with make up money would be fine.

Holy cripes!! I would kill my mom for something like that!!
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    I always left one of those golden dollar coins, because the tooth fairy carries gold. I forgot 2 nights in a row and "helped him look for it, and it was "lost" inside the pillow case. my other son was skeptical and would hide the darn thing from me!
This discussion has been closed.