On day 6 and boy am I hungry!

2»

Replies

• aimes8
    aimes8 Posts: 12
    Hiya.. hang in there just eat as normal but more healtiher, what i do i eat smaller potions more often. I snack on fruits try to drink water (but I'm not always good at that) and I prepare all my meals so I know that I am getting a healthier choice. Once your body begins to get accustom to your new way of eating you will feel alot better.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 610 Member
    What are you eating? Protein and fiber will fill you up and stay with you. Chicken, hummus, eggs, protein powders, peanut or almond butter, low fat cheeses. Lots of veggies like lettuce, spinach, carrots, tomatoes (okay technically they're a fruit), celery, onions, mushrooms, avocado, and sweet potatoes. Fruits like apples and pomegranates. Check the calories, sugar, sodium, and fiber in your breads. The sandwich and bagel thins can be handy when you're craving bread. Also lots and lots of water. Try drinking a glass or two about 15 minutes before you eat a meal. If you're exercising make sure you do something afterwards like a protein shake or even milk to give your body recovery nutrients.
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Like anything, your body will adjust. Always have convenient portable snacks everywhere, your purse, desk, car. Peanuts, raisins, chesse strings, Crispy Mini flavoured rice cakes, blueberries, fish crackers, carrots, cucumber, pea pods, and like everyone else said, water.
    My favorite go-to snack is hummus on a plain rice cake. If I'm hungry, that's what I reach for. I almost always works for me.
    Hang in there. It gets way, way easier.
    Also, if you're hungry, go for a walk so you'll burn some more calories to eat.
    Good luck!

6143704.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Soup - soup - soup - I like Progresso Light soups. Eat the whole can (app 2 servings) for less than 200 calories and it's so filling and sticks with you.

Plus what everyone else said :-)
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Thank you so much for all the replies, and so quickly! Love this site :)

I did unlock my diary (I think?) - meant to do that before I posted so you guys could give me advice. I do drink water before I eat, I try to eat veggies/salad/protein. I know I could do better, but I'm trying :) I know part of it is that I dropped my carb intake from before and I'm adjusting to the sugar drop. I just hope it finishes adjusting soon, 'cause I'm grumpy today :D

I appreciate all the help :)
  • vsmith1981
    vsmith1981 Posts: 44 Member
    I use distraction technique.

I "think" I'm hungry a lot more than I actually am - this comes from both 1) emotional hunger and 2) not eating enough throughout the day and then feeling so hungry that when I eat I don't eat slowly enough or take a long enough break that I eat too much thinking I'm still hungry.

so. I distract myself.

Number 1 - If I am eating alone I try to "eat on the fly" - meaning that I eat right before I have to go and do something else, or I eat and then start a chore at home. I think one of the worst things we do is eat + a relaxing activity (like watching tv or reading) because we don't realize we are eating (not paying attention) and then we eat more because we are just sitting relaxing. So I usually eat right before I am due to leave the house to go meet a friend or I eat and then do the clean up or the laundry or take out the garbage/recycling or eat and then get on the phone or eat and then go pick up the dry cleaning... basically anything to buy yourself that 20 minutes of distraction you need to realize you are actually full.

Number 2 - I eat 100 cal packs of almonds when i feel hungry (for snacks usually) and then try to get back to work or back to whatever I am doing. Snacking is so important as many people on here have already said - if you wait too long between meals you will feel hungry and then if you are like me you will overeat or binge eat.

Number 3 - don't indulge alone. Make your solitary meals your most healthy - I find that when I am "treating myself" by myself I will binge (especially if I am hungry from not eating enough throughout the day) - but if I am having a treat - like pizza or a frozen yogurt or a handful of chips with friends, I eat less. My unhealthy eating is shameful to me so I find that if I make a lot of social pplans to eat, I actually eat less and eat more healthy.

But ya - WAY better to eat 200-300 for breakfast, 100 for snack, 300 for lunch, 100 for snack, 400 for dinner.

Are you exercising?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    I know part of it is that I dropped my carb intake from before and I'm adjusting to the sugar drop. I just hope it finishes adjusting soon, 'cause I'm grumpy today :D

That definitely sounds like you need to incorporate a snack!
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    You'll definitely adjust once you've been eating like this for a lil longer than 6 days :) Don't worry.
  • i eat small meals every 2-3 hours all day. it really helps. and water, drink water, i flavor it with either mio or crystal light to give me some taste. your body will adjust, just stick with it.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    I am eating at around 1200 calories per day, with each meal being about 400 calories. In the morning, I eat old fashioned rolled oats with Greek yoghurt, with a cup of wild blueberries. Quick oats just leave me hungry. That sets my base for the day, and I am not hungry all morning. At lunch, 3 oz meat or fish. At supper, 6 oz meat or fish, with a cup of pasta/potatoes/quinoa or similar. Veggies and fruit all day, within my calorie allotment. This is pretty filling and I am not hungry. Make sure that what you choose to eat within your 1400 calories is filling, takes time to digest.

I have always been a from-scratch cook, with a strong tendency towards whole foods with a minimum amount of processing in them. I am eating the same, but counting my calories, adjusting portions, cutting out daily desert and increasing the exercise. So the diet has been healthy, but sometimes a little too rich, with portions a tad too large. You might have different changes to make depending upon what your eating habits are.

For the sugar drop, plan to eat a fruit, or a hard candy. And make sure your meals are at regular times. Clock when your sugar drop happens and plan your meals/snacks accordingly.

And make sure you drink the recommended amount of water. That also makes a difference.
  • drink some water sometimes u mistake thirsty for being hungry.. go for a walk if you can :)
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    I think my coffee isn't helping. I use about 220 cals a day on 2 cups of coffee. I will try cutting out the afternoon cup and have tea instead, give myself the extra 110 cals for a cheese stick or something with protein. I can't really eat much "fake" sugar without getting a headache so I have to be careful on that end.

Thanks again! All the ideas you guys are giving me are fantastic, I will be reading through them all later when I have more time to focus, and start incorporating them. :)
  • That is true fibre fulls u up... and so does water... u have to always remember to drink two glasses before u eat
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    For me it's easier to have a mid-morning snack (high in protein) than to eat a big breakfast and hope it lasts until lunch.

Also, a cup of tea seems to help. And maybe it's just me but mint tea is even better. If you can go for a walk that might curb your appetite a little as well.

Personally I don' t let myself get too hungry - I am always hungry for lunch but I'm not going to sit there and starve for 3 or 4 hours.

I find tea to be great, too. I tend to get the munchies late at night, and a cup of hot tea with a little Splenda helps ward off the munchies. I use herbal teas so that I get some flavor, too...there are lots of good flavors out there, but I'm partial to vanilla teas...kind of like a sweet treat without the calories!