asthma and over eating?

Options
Levedi
Levedi Posts: 290 Member
Hey - anybody else have this problem? My asthma gets inflamed, I get run down, and I have a really hard time not zeroing in on carbs and fats. For some reason I genuinely feel super hungry when my asthma is out of control. It's like my body is trying to make up for the lack of energy from oxygen with food. I have to force myself not to over eat (and frankly, I'm not doing a good job right now.) Is this weird or what? Anybody else dealing with something similar?

Replies

• LaSweetMini
    LaSweetMini Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    if you are on prednisone for asthma then yes! Prednisone increases the appetite that is why weight gain is one of the side affects.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I've been told (but not verified) that when your body is mending it needs more calories (of course the think line between needing and wanting is a whole new post) so maybe that's it? I know I'm recovering from a chest infection and have a huge appetite atm! Much bigger than normal which sux because I can't exercise until my lungs are back in shape!
  • sjum
    sjum Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!! I'm on long term alvesco and right now singular also. It's been a rough year and I've put on 20 lbs!! Trying to get it off but it's stressful.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    It makes perfect sense. Your body will do the same thing if you don't sleep enough. Work with your doctor to get your asthma under control. I did, and it was the best thing I could have done.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - I may ask my doctor about shifting my meds, though I don't actually have a lot of options left. My best option is to move out of the LA basin; it's just too polluted here. But until I get a job elsewhere, I'll have to fight the asthma battle pretty much daily. Feh.