Trying to find Fiber

Options
I have been stalled at my weight now for nearly 6 months and I guess it is time to try a "lower" carb diet, I had been eating around 140 grams a day.

However as I enter low carb recipes in the recipe creator, I am finding that so many veggies don't have as much fiber as I thought. I try to get 25+ grams a day as I am prone to "backing up" and that seems nearly impossible with so few whole grains and beans in my diet. I mean seriously, 1 cup broccoli only has 1 -2 grams....spinach 1 cup 1 gram...a whole cobb salad 3 grams!

How have other low carbers out there make up for the fiber lost in the reduced whole grains and beans?

Replies

• SPheonix22
    SPheonix22 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Nuts are good, as wells as beans. Oh and blueberries are great!
  • LaComadreja14
    LaComadreja14 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yuca is delicious and it is rich in dietary fiber :)
    Don't try to eat it uncooked though, my fiancee and I use it in home made soups (chicken, beef, seafood) instead of potatoes
    Some people fry them... I don't like them as much that way also I doubt its as healthy as when their in soup. Also, you can make a dish called Yuca con Mojo/Ajo (Yuca with Garlic sauce/ garlic).. This is my modified version-
    First, boil yuca in slightly salted water for about a half hour, drain it and put it on a plate and pour 1/4 cup lime juice + 1/4 cup orange juice over it and set it aside. Then I put 6 cloves of garlic and some cilantro in a small amount of water and blend it up so it gets as liquidy as possible. Pour that into a mixing bowl and add oregano, pinch of cumin, pinch of salt and peper, and some people put onions too, my fiancee and I hate onions though. Heat the mixture up in a frying pan :)
  • shelby623
    shelby623 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    2 slices of the weight watchers wheat bread has 6g of fiber and 16g of carbs.
  • Clkafka
    Clkafka Posts: 45
    Options
    Nuts, unsweetened coconut and avocados.

I add ground flax to my protein shakes.

I also use unsweetened almond milk instead of cows milk which lowers my carbs and has a bit of fiber in it.

Mission carb balance tortillas are a good option, 19carbs 13fiber. I usually keep my carbs under 100 grams per day. Today I already have my dinner entered and I am at 87 carbs and 16 fiber (-2).

Hope that helps!
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    fiber 35 smart has a tastly protein shake with 10 grams of fiber per serving

I also make my own smoothies adding fiber 35 sprinkle

Also I make lots of meat dishes with kidney beans or black beans!!
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    fat can help move it through too, it's like you're greasing your track
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Flax seed/power, It has fiber, omega and prevent breast cancer.

Jicama : crispy sweet veggie, low carb and high fiber. I eat it raw as dessert.

and fiber one original cereal. oat bran, wheat bran
  • erintheinfj
    erintheinfj Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I second/third what everyone else has said. :)

I also add a couple teaspoons of Benefiber (or store brand comparable product) to my water and food (not so much with yogurt cause it makes the yogurt kinda lumpy!). So far it's worked for me. :)