Subing applesauce in cake mix?

Options
so I have heard you can sub applesauce in a cake mix....
what do I sub it for?
I fixed cupcakes last night and instead of oil I put in a cup of applesauce....
tasted pretty good..

how would this alter the calories?

Replies

• TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You are right - it is used in place of the oil. The calorie difference is obviously going to depend on your recipe. A Tablespoon of oil is around 100 calories, while applesauce has about 100 calories per Cup - there are 16 Tablespoons in a cup.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You can actually substitute with any fruit puree (pumpkin, peach, etc) although most people use applesauce as the flavor seems pretty "neutral" and goes with just about anything...
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Same amoun t as oil is called for and it works wonders!!
  • wpnswfy
    Options
    I sub applesauce in my cake mixes, brownies, muffins anything that is baked that calls for oil I sub applesauce. It also not only cuts the fat and calories it makes your baked goods more moist.
  • Stephoram
    Options
    I do this all the time, it's great! Canned cranberry sauce is also a good sub for oil in chocolate cake. MMMMM
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Heard last weekend that there are sugar free cake batters as well and was told they taste good- people said they couldn't tell the diff. Anyone see that in any stores? Where?
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I am all about subbing pumpkin puree for both the oil and eggs in a prepackaged cake mix. Haven't tried this "from scratch" yet but the reason I prefer this is the added fiber! And you can't taste the pumpkin - that's actually a downside for me because I love pumpkin!
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I am all about subbing pumpkin puree for both the oil and eggs in a prepackaged cake mix. Haven't tried this "from scratch" yet but the reason I prefer this is the added fiber! And you can't taste the pumpkin - that's actually a downside for me because I love pumpkin!

if you mix pumpkin with spice cake mix and add some pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon - you really taste the pumpkin!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's usually used as a substitute for oil, which isn't really the unhealthy part of a cake.
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    a bit off subject...

Applesauce in whole wheat pancakes!
    TO DIE FOR!

=]
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Are you supposed to leave out any of the sugar? It seems like applesauce would make it sweeter.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    It's usually used as a substitute for oil, which isn't really the unhealthy part of a cake.

This is what I was thinking - seems odd to add MORE sugar to a cake while eliminating the vegetable oil.

Now pumpkin I could get behind, since it's actually nutritionally dense, full of fiber and vitamin A - unlike applesauce.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Are you supposed to leave out any of the sugar? It seems like applesauce would make it sweeter.

Cake mixes come presweetened; there's no way to leave out the sugar unless you're making it from scratch.
  • marzahl68
    marzahl68 Posts: 201
    Options
    Done it and loved it. I also use pumpkin purree and pumpkin spice mix (no sugar) for yummy Punkin Muffins. I use the unsweetened apple sauce to sub oil in cakes.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have made cupcakes with a spice cake with only 15 oz of pumpkin and a devil's food cake mix with only 1 cup of vanilla greek yogurt and a cup of water. Both came out excellent. I just figured the calories with what the cake mix says for unprepared mix plus my add ins divided by the number of servings. I set it up as a recipe. I will definately do both of these again.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Cake mixes come presweetened; there's no way to leave out the sugar unless you're making it from scratch.

Why not make it from scratch?
  • shtaylor
    Options
    The sugar free cake mixes are made by Sweet N Low. I find them at my regular grocery store, they usually are in a black box.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time. You can sub the applesauce for the eggs and oil in a cake mix. I also like to use a can of pumpkin with a spice cake mix - just those two ingredients mixed together without eggs or oil makes a yummy, dense cake. If you want it a little less dense add about half a cup of water. I have also done devils food cake mix with one cup of fat free Greek yogurt (can't taste it). Again, this makes for a very dense cake so you can add a little water if you want. My friend likes to take a can of diet soda and add it to angel food cake mix (especially orange or lemon lime). My family's absolute favorite is butter flavored yellow cake mix with a can of crushed pineapple (don't drain). Yummy!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time, it's great! Canned cranberry sauce is also a good sub for oil in chocolate cake. MMMMM

I'm not big on sweets, but that sounds awesome. Might have to try that sometime. Or maybe in that No Pudge brand brownie mix. Hrmmmm.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You can make just about any cake mix with a can of pumpkin and a half cup of liquid. I usually do devil's food mix with pumpkin and coffee. Spice cake would work well with apple cider for the liquid. Calories just depend on the mix and whatever you use for liquid. They are very moist though. That makes them quite tasty but if you try to store them in a plastic bag, you end up with mush. I tried doing that once to take them on a road trip. It wasn't pretty.