What do you think of this in brownies (warning not healthy)

AlsDonkBoxSquat
AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
So my brownie recipe calls for adding chocolate chips. I usually use a mixture of 2 chocolates. Last weekend I had a chili chocolate, you couldn't taste the chilis it just sort of gave you something spicey to think about on the back of your throat. Fast forward, I have a dinner party tomorrow and for dessert I'm making brownies and I'm reducing this black berry wine I have. What do you think about adding chopped up chili chocolate instead of chocolate chips? Too weird with the blackberry wine reduction?

Replies

• timmypeace
    timmypeace Posts: 27 Member
    What about carob?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    I'm not looking to make it healthy (although I do have carob in the cabinet), I'm just trying to figure out if the chili brownies would pair okay with the blackberry wine reduction.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    No, I think it would taste AMAZING. What kind of chili? Dried ancho would probably be your best bet, I've used it in many desserts, toss it in the reduction in the beginning and then you can strain. Pasilla would also be great.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Taste it together.

Or..

Sounds like you like to cook so you can probably tell by smelling them together ;)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    It sounds pretty good to me!
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    It might work??

I think dark chocolate would be divine with a blackberry wine reduction, maybe even white chocolate?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Actually, I think it's Lindt makes a chili dark chocolate, so I was just going to chop up a couple of bars of that an use it in the brownie mix in place of chocolate chips.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Well it's heathier than bacon in brownies. (and btw, that's kinda good too)

Anyway, are you starting with a port style blackberry wine, or a sweeter less stout wine?
    If you start with a port style, then I think the reduction would tone down the chili brownies, not making them so "pop" (couldnt think of a good techincal term) meaning a good pair.

If it's a lighter bodied, and less alc. wine, then I might back off of the chili and stick with the sweet chocolate chips.

Edit: P.S. My experience is I work in a winery, and we serve dinners and actually make a molten lava cake with a blackberry wine reduction. --thought that might help
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Actually, I think it's Lindt makes a chili dark chocolate, so I was just going to chop up a couple of bars of that an use it in the brownie mix in place of chocolate chips.

It's a great idea. I think it would be fabulous.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Taste it together.

Or..

Sounds like you like to cook so you can probably tell by smelling them together ;)

Maybe I'll buy the chocolate and try some together tonight and see, I've been saving the wine for 5 or 6 years waiting for the perfect dessert and dinner party at which to serve it . . . I'm really excited.

Ummmm, bacon brownies. It's a sweeter less stout wine, I do love a good port but this is definitely not a port. I started drawing toward the chili chips thinking that it might be a distraction from all of the sweetness that'll be going on.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    It might work??

I think dark chocolate would be divine with a blackberry wine reduction, maybe even white chocolate?

Hum, Lindt also makes a white chocolate coconut bar . . .
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    sounds awesome
  • iambic
    iambic Posts: 5
    Yes, do it!!! Chili will go amazing with all of that. My husband and I made our own chocolate cupcakes for our wedding, and we put in new mexico chili and ancho chili into the batter. Your brownies sound amazing.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Edit: P.S. My experience is I work in a winery, and we serve dinners and actually make a molten lava cake with a blackberry wine reduction. --thought that might help

LOL, this is for our first wine club meeting. Our friends, DH, and I decided to start a wine club. We're going to do a little wine tasting before hand, and then have wine and food pairings for the wines that we've selected. We've decided on an Italian theme tonight, except for the dessert. Maybe I should do an italian berry cake instead, but then I'd have that sitting around my house and then I'd have to eat it.

Edit: chocolate souffle with a chocolate sauces with some sort of booze in it is my normal go to, so I figured I'd not do that or a molten again this time.
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Why not try it in a mini batch? like mix up the batter then take a cupcake's worth and add the chili chocolate (there are quite a few on the market, it's popular to put savory things in chocolate and yes, bacon chocolate is AWESOME, PP) and bake that up and see how you like it? you won't waste much of the batter if it stinks and you can continue to add the chocolate if you like it!
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    What about carob?

Nooooooooo carob is NOT an equal substitute for chocolate! :sick:

Btw, make room for one more guest.... I am on my way to your house. Right now. It sounds like a taste bud par-tay! Love putting sweet and savory together! I think your idea will work beautifully, and don't know 'til you try!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    What about carob?

Nooooooooo carob is NOT an equal substitute for chocolate! :sick:

Btw, make room for one more guest.... I am on my way to your house. Right now. It sounds like a taste bud par-tay! Love putting sweet and savory together! I think your idea will work beautifully, and don't know 'til you try!

There's always room for one more!