Too much sodium!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• moniquelessard
    Options
    One more thing. I very rarely go over my sodium, so if you want to look at my diary for ideas, add me :) I have gone over a couple of times, but on one day, I dug into a bowl of KD. LOL
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I could probably use more fiber in my diet anyway. I just looked it up and apparently for a 1200 calorie diet, I should only be consuming 1000-1200mg of sodium a day! This is going to be hard. :embarassed:
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Is sea salt really much better than table salt? I switched to it cause I thought it was better for you.

Salt is salt. Whether it's sea salt or table salt, it's Sodium Chloride. Half sodium, half chlorine. So naturally it's bad for your sodium levels. I'd definitely suggest you stop using salt except where absolutely necessary, and when you do use it, try to use as little as possible. If you're cooking at home, you should be able to flavour things with herbs and spices and avoid using salt.
  • cal1973
    cal1973 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I never checked my sodium until I read this post, now I'm wondering if it's a problem that my levels are so low? I am really shocked at the difference between the amount I eat and the amount MFP recommends?
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I never checked my sodium until I read this post, now I'm wondering if it's a problem that my levels are so low? I am really shocked at the difference between the amount I eat and the amount MFP recommends?

Check your potassium & calcium.

Potassium is most important for your heart function!

Calcium for nerve conduction, muscle contraction, blood coagulation & bones.]

Sodium is important, but if your potassium and calcium are too low, the effects are worse.
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I always cook from fresh and never add salt to my cooking. It's unusual for me to get anywhere near a 1000. You need to cut down on processed food and your sodium intake will drop. I never add salt to my cooking. I haven't done for years and don't miss it. When I visit my Mother who uses salt in her cooking I have to stop at the nearest motorway services on the way home to buy a couple of litres of water on the way home because I am so thirsty.

Top Tip: cook from fresh, avoid processed food and don't use salt in your cooking :flowerforyou:
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options

Where do you shop?! lol. I looked at your diary - there's a lot of little things I've never heard of on there. But I also see tons of fresh veggies too. That is probably why you have little sodium. I'm not sure you have too little - most likely not!