Human rights?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I know that in Arkansas there was a couple who had a sign on their front porch that said "burglars will be shot. survivors will be shot again" and they were warned by local police that with that sign, if they actually did kill a burglar, it would be considered premeditated. Crazy.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Now playing devil's advocate.

So, what's to stop you kidnapping someone you don't like, taking them home, killing them, setting it up to look like a burglary, and phone the cops and say he broke in so you killed him?

Forensic Science i.e. Crime Scene Investigation.

You couldn't get away with it.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    Ok, all Americans here. I'm asking for no other point that i am genuinely curious on this.

Over here in the UK you can't buy "guns", sports pistols etc aside. And, i feel much safer knowing that the chances of anyone having a gun is very, very low.

When you had those school shootings, did the "law" about your right to bear arms come under scrutiny? It just seems very...easy for that kind of thing to happen, given your gun laws.

Oh, I'm walking away from this one. Have fun!
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    That is exactly why if someone broke into my home, they wouldn't leave alive.

My husband is always tkaing me shooting exactly for this reason! Ethical, maybe not. But as a military wife who is home alone a lot, I need to protect my kids!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    If they break into my house, there won't be any chance of them sueing me. However, there is a likely chance I will have to explain clean my gun.

They wont, but their family probably will. You committed murder. It'll be hard to deny that.
    I disagree with you, defense of yourself, family, home, prperty is not murder. Period

If you see the burglar and intend on killing him, then it is:
    Murder is the unlawful killing of another human being with "malice aforethought"
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Ok, all Americans here. I'm asking for no other point that i am genuinely curious on this.

Over here in the UK you can't buy "guns", sports pistols etc aside. And, i feel much safer knowing that the chances of anyone having a gun is very, very low.

When you had those school shootings, did the "law" about your right to bear arms come under scrutiny? It just seems very...easy for that kind of thing to happen, given your gun laws.

See, here in America we have to have our names run through before we are even allowed to have a gun permit, before we can legally buy a gun. So, the kids that took it into their own hands (literally) either found one of mommy or daddy's guns or got a "clean" one off someone they knew (like in the streets).

Our gun laws are not so loose as one might think, its more of a "I'm doing this and I don't give a flying rat's *kitten*, because I'm a pissed off teenager with angst and he stole my girl..."
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    My dog has pepper spray, and isn't afraid to use it.
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    here in the UK you are meant to make a nice cup of tea while they steal your TV....... me...........i would have no problem catching them and using the bluntest knife i can find to chop their hand off...........i know that by the USA standard of shooting said little ****WIT this is tame............... but i would enjoy slapping him around his face with his own hand
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    There have just been two cases in the UK where burglars/thieves have been killed in a criminal act by civilians and the courts have returned quite correctly a not guilty verdict on the two innocent men trying to protect themselves. We are starting to change our attitude toward so called human rights for people who break the law.

You come in my house with intent to burgle or commit harm I have the right to use reasonable force to defend myself that is the law and if that means that in my girly terror/panick I pick up a kitchen knife and ram it in your throat then I believe that to be reasonable under the circumstances.

I do feel for the parents who's offspring break the law and get killed in commission of a crime because no matter what that their offspring was doing the parents have still lost their child and you cannot expect them to feel the loss any the less just because their offspring was committing a criminal act.
  • pain_is_weakness
    Options
    Now playing devil's advocate.

So, what's to stop you kidnapping someone you don't like, taking them home, killing them, setting it up to look like a burglary, and phone the cops and say he broke in so you killed him?

Forensic Science i.e. Crime Scene Investigation.

You couldn't get away with it.

agreed, you wouldn't get away with it!
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    If they break into my house, there won't be any chance of them sueing me. However, there is a likely chance I will have to explain clean my gun.

They wont, but their family probably will. You committed murder. It'll be hard to deny that.

Not murder, I live in Texas. The Castle Doctrine. But good luck trying to get a conviction on me.

Well, it IS murder, by definition. But, either way, how would you feel if after you shot him, you found out he was just in the wrong house? You say to shoot first, ask later, but you could have just shot an innocent man.

I'm sure all UKers here remember this case, but for you non-UKers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)

I suppose it is murder. Have you ever faced a situation like this? I have, you have about ten million things going through your mind in about 1/2 a second. Safety is your priority, so you do what you gotta do. if taking another life saves mine, then so be it. Fortunately I only wounded the person, but he did get prosecuted and is now serving 20 years in prison.

So until you have faced a situation like this don't judge me. I'll answer to my maker.
  • HMonsterX
    Options

See, here in America we have to have our names run through before we are even allowed to have a gun permit, before we can legally buy a gun. So, the kids that took it into their own hands (literally) either found one of mommy or daddy's guns or got a "clean" one off someone they knew (like in the streets).

Our gun laws are not so loose as one might think, its more of a "I'm doing this and I don't give a flying rat's *kitten*, because I'm a pissed off teenager with angst and he stole my girl..."

Exactly my point. So if you didn't allow guns, it'd make it much harder for that disgruntled teen to do it. Maybe so much harder they decide against it...=/
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Locally this week, one of our police officers was stabbed by a man who had set fire to a house and led the police on a chase. Back up officers shot the man and he died from his injuries. His mother called him a "good son" and is now suing the police department for his death, saying it was based on race. :noway:

This happens at least once a year in Detroit....cops kill someone and the family is all over the news crying "he was a good boy...he didn't do anything"...and next thing you know they're suing the city for millions! Its ridiculous!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    That's why you just go ahead and shoot them or stab them to death, that way they can't sue you and you're protected because you were defending your home. Win win.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    That's why you just go ahead and shoot them or stab them to death, that way they can't sue you and you're protected because you were defending your home. Win win.

But if you do that, don't you then have to prove they were actually attacking your home? Their family will claim they just got lost, etc.
  • pain_is_weakness
    Options

I disagree with you, defense of yourself, family, home, prperty is not murder. Period

If you see the burglar and intend on killing him, then it is:
    Murder is the unlawful killing of another human being with "malice aforethought"

the elements to a crime of murder or "unlawful" killing is that you can not use self defence as a defence, at least in california
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

But if you do that, don't you then have to prove they were actually attacking your home? Their family will claim they just got lost, etc.

Everyone can claim that they were "just lost"...and the burden of proof is on the victim of the break-in...
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Here in the UK the law is very ambiguous on this. We are allowed to use "reasonable" force.

What counts as "reasonable" is always up for debate...
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Exactly my point. So if you didn't allow guns, it'd make it much harder for that disgruntled teen to do it. Maybe so much harder they decide against it...=/

So we don't allow good ol tax paying americans with clean records to have guns.. then we have nothing to protect ourselves with when the drug dealers and the like come in to rob us.. because you know they'll find a way to get a gun.. they do that now.... no i say our gun laws are ok. I'd rather have one and not use it.. than need one and not have one.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

Our right to bear arms comes under scrutiny every day. The thing people here don't seem to get is that criminals are going to get guns one way or another. So outlawing guns is not going to suddenly rid the country of gun-related crime. It's like saying if you outlaw murder, people will stop committing homicide. How's that working out?
This discussion has been closed.