Recording calories on vacation - any suggestions?

cherold77
cherold77 Posts: 3 Member
edited October 4 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm going on vacation next month to an all inclusive resort. Obviously it will be easy to track my exercise (workouts, swimming, etc.) But what about the meals? I plan on eating simliar amounts that I've currently been doing. But I obviously would not have a clue as to the exact calorie count or weight in some of the foods. Do most of you do a quick calorie amount? Any other suggestions that might be helpful? Thanks!!

Replies

• april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 616 Member
    well, id be "wingin' it" and recording it as close to what i thought it woudl be....but its vacation. pay attention to portions and take a break from logging (unless of course youll fall off the wagon) you should enjoy your vacation...youve earned it im sure :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    I would enjoy your vacation and not track anything.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    do you have/can you get the phone app?
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    I would track once a day (putting in all your meals), or just keep a paper log of what you are eating, just to make sure you are eating appropriate portion sizes. Just use the closest estimate in the database that you can find.
  • I would enjoy your vacation and not track anything.

This is what I would do too :]
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    When I eat somewhere and I don't know the exact calories I will either find something similiar and enter that or add quick calories and estimate it (which can be dangerous...) For example, There is a little tavern by my work I go to lunch at every once and awhile. They don't have any food listed in MFP nor do they know how many calories are in their food. The other day I had a salad and half a french dip sandwich. When I searched MFP there were plenty of french dip sandwiches that varied by calories. The one I had was pretty delicous and had a bit of cheese on it so I chose a higher calorie entry.

Scott
  • strawberryromper
    strawberryromper Posts: 64 Member
    If I really wanted to log it, I'd look up approximate equivalents in the database. Personally, I'd let it go if I had faith in my ability to be reasonable.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    absolutely not. It's vacation! Relax & have fun. How much damage can it do? forget this place, enjoy yourself & get back to MFP on your return.
    drink plenty of water tho!
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    I would definitely enjoy the vacation. Try to make good choices amd get in as much exercise as you possibly can. I firmly believe you need to take a break every now and then, especially on vacation. :glasses: Just don't throw away everything you've learned.:drinker:
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Track it as best you can. You'll at least be in the ballpark and not go over by huge amounts!

But don't sweat it if you are over a little. You can get back on track when home again.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    When on vacation I don't log anything, but I don't go crazy either. I try to make healthy choices and not overeat, but otherwise I just enjoy myself.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    When I eat out or go on vacation and I don't know the exact calories I try to find something similar in the database. When I vacationed in Domincan Republic this summer, the resort was all inclusive so I typically used the category Generic Buffet Plate. I put 1.5 plates for lunch and 2 to 2.5 plates for dinner. I was usually able to find comparable breakfast items in the database. Kudos to you for wanting to log while on vacation!!! That really helped me stay focused, yet I didn't stress about overeating either. Enjoy your vacation!!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    personally I'd just make sure I eat smaller amounts and only when I'm hungry aaand I'm sure you know by now what's a good choice to eat and will fill you up longer. Then just try to be really active. It'll balance out. Enjoy your vacation!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    I log everything, vacay or not. When I go to a friends for dinner, I don't ask for a calorie count, but based upon experience I know approximately how much pasta is a serving, etc. Yes, it may be an estimate, but it is better than nothing and a LOT better than falling off the wagon.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Fill up on all the healthy stuff...fresh veggies, salad, fruit..and then take nibbles of everything else..that way...if you dont log ..you wouldnt have gone overboard...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    I log everything because I don't want my diary to be empty for a day! I just find a similar item in the database - it might not be the right amount of calories but I think it must be in the ballpark. But if it doesn't bother you to have nothing logged, you could skip it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    I would enjoy your vacation and not track anything.

This. Go enjoy yourself. Eat, drink, and exercise as much as you want without the burden of logging it. Your intuition will guide you. When you get back, start logging again.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    I went to hawaii 1 month ago and I still tracked everything. I was over my calories all the time, but still managed to lose 1lb. When I ate out, I tried to track as close as I could to what I was eating. Sometimes I "quick calorie" it if I felt it was off. Since it's a resort you should have a fairly nice gym, I know we did, so if you eat out a lot, just go to the gym and make up for it. :)) Also, if you have a kitchen, try making your own breakfasts. It saves money and calories :))
  • I wouldn't track anything either! As long as you can get back on track when the vacation is over.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    I went to Disney World in August, and I did not track my calories. What I did do was make good choices - for the most part. I still indulged in some nachos and buffalo wings, but I didn't go crazy. Lunch was usually a grilled chicken salad, same for dinner, or seafood. Have FUN!
This discussion has been closed.