P90X... does it REALLY work?

Options
I've got way too much fat!!!!... think 50% according to my scale and not enough muscle. I was thinking of doing the P90x to whip my body in shape AND loose fat, but wanted to hear from some other women if they had success with it? Is it worth doing?? Thanks for any replies!

Replies

• Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    bump
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    It works for men and women but only if you get your diet in order.

I lost about 20 pounds doing just P90X and cutting back on food. It's very hard at first so just do the best you can.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It worked for me but I only made it half way through. I lost fat and gained muscle but you have to eat right too. It's going to be tough and if you can't push yourself at home or commit to doing it every night then spend that money on a personal trainer or something you will actually do.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Of course it's worth doing!

If you're really 50% bodyfat, though, I would recommend you start with walking every day for an hour first and then maybe adding some basic weights before you undertake P90X. It's great but if you injure yourself you won't be working out at all.

Good luck!

:flowerforyou:
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I've tried P90X twice. I stopped the first time because I got pregnant and felt it was too intense. The second time I got pretty sick and stopped, and just never got back on the wagon. BUT...both times I had great results for the time that I did it. As with any other program, you're going to have to change your eating habits and commit. If you follow the nutrition guide and keep to the workout schedule, you'll do great. If you plan to continue bad eating habits because you feel the workouts will compensate for that, then do not expect to get the advertised results.
  • soifua
    soifua Posts: 82
    Options
    I did p90x lean for a while, I love switching things up ... it really does work great
  • nearlymorning
    Options
    It will definitely work if you stick to it and try your hardest. This goes with any exercise/nutrition program. If you do not do the workouts with intensity or you skip some of them or you do not control your calorie intake, you will have just wasted your time. How effective the program is will be up to you.
  • megpapier
    megpapier Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of P90X. I started it to gain muscle weight and get really toned. I also changed my diet big time. I'm eating 50% protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fat. I drink whey protein shakes and take creatine supplements. I am already more toned and buff and I feel great after every work out. It's fun and very effective, I think. But I agree with everyone else that it has A LOT to do with your diet.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Of course it's worth doing!

If you're really 50% bodyfat, though, I would recommend you start with walking every day for an hour first and then maybe adding some basic weights before you undertake P90X. It's great but if you injure yourself you won't be working out at all.

Good luck!

:flowerforyou:

I agree, if you are 50% BF, you will probably have a very hard time with this workout.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    If you commit, push play, and eat healthy it is well worth it. I am on my 2nd round of P90X and love it.
  • jbudge1
    jbudge1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am in week 5 of P90x right now. There is a noticeable difference after 30 days especially in my back. To be fair I have been doing Insanity at the same time (I do p90x in the morning and Insanity in the afternoon). I believe you will get out of it what you put into it. For the record I do not follow his nutrition plan, I made my own. The AB Ripper X is probably the best ab workout I have done in my entire life, if anything I would at least put that into your routine. Chalean Extreme looks like a really good program as well, you may want to look into it.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Have done it about 6 times now.

Was a size 18/16 when I started, now almost at my goal size. Working on loosing the last lbs, and lowering BF%. My concern is BF%, and inches, not scale weight really.

The first few times I did it I was lazy on my diet, got results, but not as well as I could have. Each time I have done it, I have tweaked things more to find what works best for me, and each time I have improved. This last round I had excellent results. :) So I think I have a good handle on what works for me personally.

I don't do the P90X food plan, I do a 40/30/30 plan, and watch calories to stay between 1300-1480. (I am short) I personally don't eat back my exercise calories. I have a free day once a week though.

I had to modify more at the beginning, but now I do advanced on all moves, and add wrist and ankle weights to the cardio.

I also found - for me- I get best results when I eat enough, if I go to low on calories, (1100-1200 or less) I stop loosing weight and see less results in muscle definition. I also must have higher protein amounts, to see the most improvement. ( I am 5' 2" and do about 100 grams or more of protein a day)

I think it is a great program, but please modify, modify modify when needed. Don't feel bad if you must do so. Do the best you can do.

And if you cannot finish a DVD at first, its okay. Many people can't. I could not, nether could my husband - its okay. :)
    But each day, come back and start again, and you will see continual improvement.

The program gives back what you put into it, and diet is a BIG part of that. And stick with it. You miss a few days - come back and start again. My husband and I have both had to do this, for various "life gets in the way" reasons.

It is a time commitment of 60 min-90 min or so a day, which can be tough. But if you give your best - you will get results.

Chalene Extreme is a similar program, also good. Workouts are about 45 min.

You can also start with Power 90 - sort of the "pre" P90X - if you are unsure if you are ready for P90X now..
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think the hardest part (for me at least) would be pressing the PLAY button every day. I tend to do something for 5 or 6 days then lose interest and lack motivation. Really the only thing that has worked for me so far is physically going to a gym.
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It works. My husband does it. But it is very annoying for the rest of the house to listen to!