Orange Poppy Seed Cake

Options
SoupNazi
SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
101_01232009.jpg
From Prevention.com

The poppy seeds in this light cake lend a nutty taste, while the orange juice adds some zip. If you like, you can dust a little sifted confectioners' sugar over the glaze.

Prep: 21min|Cook: 40min |Total: 1hr 16min

CAKE:
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup poppy seeds
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons grated orange peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup orange juice
Glaze:
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice
Directions
1. To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9" or 10" tube pan with a removable bottom and dust lightly with flour. 2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt. 3. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. 4. In another bowl, using the same beater, beat the eggs and sugar until pale yellow and fluffy. Add the oil, orange peel, and vanilla extract, beating just until blended. Alternately add the flour mixture and the orange juice, beating on low speed just until blended. 5. Stir one-third of the egg whites into the batter, then fold in the rest. Place the batter into the prepared pan. 6. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. The cake will rise and crack on top, then deflate a bit as it cools. Run a knife around the rim of the cake to loosen it from the sides. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and place on the rack to cool completely. 7. To make the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar and orange juice until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled cake.

Nutritional Facts per serving
CALORIES 292.3 CAL
FAT 8.9 G
SATURATED FAT 1 G
CHOLESTEROL 35.3 MG
SODIUM 148.1 MG
CARBOHYDRATES 47.8 G
TOTAL SUGARS 29.9 G
DIETARY FIBER 1.4 G
PROTEIN 5.9 G

Replies

• SoupNazi
    Options
    101_01232009.jpg
    From Prevention.com

The poppy seeds in this light cake lend a nutty taste, while the orange juice adds some zip. If you like, you can dust a little sifted confectioners' sugar over the glaze.

Prep: 21min|Cook: 40min |Total: 1hr 16min

CAKE:
    2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup poppy seeds
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    4 egg whites
    2 eggs
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    1/4 cup canola oil
    2 tablespoons grated orange peel
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3/4 cup orange juice
    Glaze:
    3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
    2 tablespoons orange juice
    Directions
    1. To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9" or 10" tube pan with a removable bottom and dust lightly with flour. 2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt. 3. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. 4. In another bowl, using the same beater, beat the eggs and sugar until pale yellow and fluffy. Add the oil, orange peel, and vanilla extract, beating just until blended. Alternately add the flour mixture and the orange juice, beating on low speed just until blended. 5. Stir one-third of the egg whites into the batter, then fold in the rest. Place the batter into the prepared pan. 6. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. The cake will rise and crack on top, then deflate a bit as it cools. Run a knife around the rim of the cake to loosen it from the sides. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and place on the rack to cool completely. 7. To make the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar and orange juice until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled cake.

Nutritional Facts per serving
    CALORIES 292.3 CAL
    FAT 8.9 G
    SATURATED FAT 1 G
    CHOLESTEROL 35.3 MG
    SODIUM 148.1 MG
    CARBOHYDRATES 47.8 G
    TOTAL SUGARS 29.9 G
    DIETARY FIBER 1.4 G
    PROTEIN 5.9 G
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I forgot to buy poppyseeds when I went grocery shopping today!! Thanks for the reminder. But when I do buy them I'm making this cake! I can't wait to try it! I love lemon poppyseed cake or muffins. And I love orange cake, scones, muffins.
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    I forgot to buy poppyseeds when I went grocery shopping today!! Thanks for the reminder. But when I do buy them I'm making this cake! I can't wait to try it! I love lemon poppyseed cake or muffins. And I love orange cake, scones, muffins.

Me too!:love:

What a great combo, huh?:drinker:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Oh...SoupNazi....not fair on several counts.....just worked out to gain a few calories for dinner,,,am hungry as a bear anyway and I get tempted by this delcious looking deal that I would probably destroy trying to make...looks too good
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    Oh...SoupNazi....not fair on several counts.....just worked out to gain a few calories for dinner,,,am hungry as a bear anyway and I get tempted by this delcious looking deal that I would probably destroy trying to make...looks too good

Bu...bu...but....I made the picture small so it wouldn't look too tempting.:ohwell:

You wouldn't destroy it.:laugh:

It's very easy to make.:bigsmile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Bu...bu...but....I made the picture small so it wouldn't look too tempting.:ohwell:

You wouldn't destroy it.:laugh:

It's very easy to make.:bigsmile:
    um:blushing: now that's not the serving size is it?:noway: :ohwell:

Recipe does sound yum, thanks for sharing it Soup:drinker:
  • SoupNazi
    Options

I do believe it is!:bigsmile:

You're most welcome FC.:flowerforyou:
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy but no poppyseeds until after sis takes her drug test for her new job. We teased her after the last one. She had been eating this yummy whole grain nuts and seeds bread from the bakery at Kroger in Virginia and had built enough opiates up in her system from the poppyseeds in it to test positive for a low level of opiates. :laugh: Better not feed her any this time! She had to wait a few days and repeat the test. Funny thing is her new boss totally understood because the same thing happened to her with lemon poppyseed muffins. So warning don't eat these before a drug test! :laugh:

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

I do believe it is!:bigsmile:

You're most welcome FC.:flowerforyou:
    but but but...Soup?? It seems like such a small piece!:noway: :ohwell:
    101_01232009.jpg
  • keiko
    Options
    Sounds yummy but no poppyseeds until after sis takes her drug test for her new job. We teased her after the last one. She had been eating this yummy whole grain nuts and seeds bread from the bakery at Kroger in Virginia and had built enough opiates up in her system from the poppyseeds in it to test positive for a low level of opiates. :laugh: Better not feed her any this time! She had to wait a few days and repeat the test. Funny thing is her new boss totally understood because the same thing happened to her with lemon poppyseed muffins. So warning don't eat these before a drug test! :laugh:

118984.png

And I thought that only happened on Seinfeld:laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

118984.png
    And I thought that only happened on Seinfeld:laugh:
    Hm...I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about Keiko!?:huh: :noway: :tongue: :laugh: :wink:
    120px-Seinfeld_s7e16.jpg:huh: :noway: :laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :drinker:
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I was actually going to make a reference to NOT eat this before a drug test but wasn't sure anyone else would understand. Glad others thought the same.:bigsmile:
  • keiko
    Options
    I'm making this next weekend. A friend from my small group gave me poppyseeds so I could make the cake for the next time we meet!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I was actually going to make a reference to NOT eat this before a drug test but wasn't sure anyone else would understand. Glad others thought the same.:bigsmile:
    :laugh: :laugh: :tongue: Well there's just plain somethings my mind will never let go of...pretty much every single word from Seinfeld is stored in my brain:blushing: :laugh:
  • keiko
    Options
    I made this cake today and it is very good! I did not have the full amount of poppyseeds but it still has plenty. Not overly sweet like some cakes. Partly because it has the glaze and not frosting.

Thanks for the recipe:flowerforyou:
    Kelly