I have really been craving subway!!! HELP!

Options
So I know that subway can be a good choice if you know what to eat. The veggie sandwich is not an option for me. I like sauce, and I like meat. I'm OKAY with omitting cheese, but other than that, I don't know how to modify a sandwich to make it taste good. I usually get the Italian herbs and cheese bread, cold-cut meat, pepper-jack cheese, lots of veggies, and lots of chipotle southwest sauce, and a little light mayo. I usually skip the chips/cookies and drink. How in the WORLD do I make this a healthy sandwhich? Or are there any yummy alternatives I could try?

Thanks!

Replies

• drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Ham and Turkey. Whole Wheat bread. Mustard. hot sauce. veggies. maybe some banana peppers to spice it up even more.

i think the sodium is high in the bread...but not that big of deal.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    I don't know if this will help, but one of the things I do when I order subway is get them to scoop out the soft bread from the middle of the top and bottom of the bread so the crust is like a shell--this makes room for a LOT more veggies and lowers calories considerably.
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    Cut the chipotle sauce in half, don't get the mayo, choose the whole wheat bread, and then eat half a portion and save the rest for later. Sounds healthy enough to me...
  • missxchelly
    Options
    Yup. I get the Ham on wheat, no cheese, light mayo and load up on veggies. Have them put some of that chipotle sauce on it, but go healthier on everything else like getting Turkey etc. Or, eat what you want girl just make sure you burn those calories after =D Or just eat half of a foot long :D
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Subway is alot of bread and carbs and the meat is pretty high in sodium.

Certainly better than many fast foods and the flatbread will reduce the fat and carbs of the bread.

Home made is better, but again watch the sodium in the Lunchmeat!

Best of luck!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Subway now has a customize option for your sandwiches, go play with it and see if you can customize your sandwich to your liking.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help, but one of the things I do when I order subway is get them to scoop out the soft bread from the middle of the top and bottom of the bread so the crust is like a shell--this makes room for a LOT more veggies and lowers calories considerably.

Awesome idea!! I'll try that next time!!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Order footlong (one of the low calorie versions-turkey-black forest ham etc). Take contents of one side and cram it into the other side. Throw away 1/2 of bun
  • ninabean8
    ninabean8 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    m eating subway now... i turn whatever im craving into a salad!! not so much sauce tho.. today, buffalo salad yum
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    IF I AM CRAVING SOMETHING "FATTY" LIKE PIZZA I GET A 6IN CHICKEN BREAST WITH MARINARA SAUCE. I PERSONALLY GET MINE WITH NO CHEESE, AND I ADD GREEN PEPPERS, ONION AND JALAPENOES!!! IT IS SUPER YUMMY AND IS ABOUT 360 CALORIES.
  • carleyc
    Options
    When I eat at Subway this is what I usually get- 6 inch wheat bread, either ham or turkey, no cheese, veggies (I'm picky about veggies so I usually get onions, green peppers and cucumbers) and a little bit of honey mustard dressing. I think most of the flavor needs to come from the veggies, so pick some you like that have strong flavors and ask them to go light on the dressing.

My diet is pretty low sodium in generally so I'm not too worried about the sodium level of 3-4 pieces of lunch meat, and the same with the carbs from the bread.
  • MartiJJohnston
    Options

Holy cow what a GREAT idea!!!!!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options

Awesome idea!! I'll try that next time!!

So how do yo umeasure how much bread you have, or do you guess?
  • wannabefit_amanda
    Options
    I am OBSESSED with the sweeet onion chicken terayaki (or however u spell it) AND its on the fresh fit menu. Subway has a website where you can build your own sub and get the calorie count. so easy here's the linkhttp://www.subway.com/Menu/MenuCategoryItems.aspx?CC=USA&LC=ENG&MenuTypeId=1&MenuId=35 pick a sub then on the bottom right it will say " calculate yours " add and remove items! then ur set
  • thompson000
    Options
    the wheat is less in calories than the flatbreat. Go to subway.com and check out the calories in the sandwiches and condiments to help make your choice!
  • krissagirl0709
    krissagirl0709 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Ohh this is what ive been craving too but I get veggie delite anyways but I lovee the cheese lol..ill probably give into that craving chips and all just because I feel its okay to reward once and awhile and it beats my usual binge on pizza friday nights and quick stops at mcd's for lunch being in a "rush" 2-3 days a week..so subway isnt going to hurt today lol
  • Moneicalynn
    Moneicalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Order footlong (one of the low calorie versions-turkey-black forest ham etc). Take contents of one side and cram it into the other side. Throw away 1/2 of bun

Now this is a great Idea... I usually tear off alot of bread but this is a great idea :)
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    My favorite:

Ovenr roasted chicken, double meat with pepperjack, spinach, cucumbers,pickles, lettuce, and honey mustard sauce.

515 calories
    42g of protein
    47g carbs
    9g of fat

Sodium is killer but works out OK if you plan for it and don't make it a habit.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

Now this is a great Idea... I usually tear off alot of bread but this is a great idea :)

Only other way is to order the salad. Which is bascially a sandwich w/o bun. But whole wheat isn't THAT bad.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I get Subway all the time when I'm working. You can go to their website and customize any sandwich to get the nutritional info. Here is my sandwich:

6" Wheat, Oven Roasted Chicken, Lettuce, Pickles, Tomatos, Banana Peppers, Honey Mustard

CALORIES 350
    Calories from Fat 45
    TOTAL FAT (g) 5.3
    Saturated Fat (g) 1.5
    Trans Fat (g) 0
    CHOLESTEROL (mg) 25
    SODIUM (mg) 780
    CARBOHYDRATES (G) 53
    Dietary Fibers (g) 5
    Sugar (g) 14
    PROTEIN (G) 23
    VITAMIN A % DV 8