Help! My Addiction to Sugar is Back!

Options
I am writing this in an effort to help myself from falling back into the hole that is sugar-addiction. I have found myself staring longingly at the pop machines at work more than once this week. I have had a sweet treat every day (donut, snickers bar, chips (maybe not a sweet, but the carby-sugar is there). I feel it getting worse. I stopped before, but I am under loads more stress now than I was then. I told myself that everytime I get the urge to eat the sweet poison that I need to get up and walk around, get a drink of water, etc...but that is how I have found myself infront of vending machines several times recently. I thought I had kicked the addiction, but obviously not.

Replies

• bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you want it more because you've been depriving yourself of all of it for so long. That's why I don't self deprive. If I want a treat or snack that's sweet I have it. It seems to work for me. I don't know, though, if you can't stop once you have one... then maybe not such a good idea.

I hope you're able to stay strong!!! Water is a good place to start. :happy:
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I've been going through the same thing lately. I had to cold turkey myself for a week. NO soda, chips, candy, etc. The cravings are still there but manageable. It's very very hard, but it sure beats the sick feeling you get from binging out on all the junk. Now when I indulge (like lunch today - I had a burger) as good as it tastes and as much as I enjoy it, the icky tummy feelings make me wish for some veggies and fruit which helps keep me on track.
  • littlemount
    Options
    Me took, I get these sugar craving often and with Halloween around the corner I am worried.
  • LillyMosley
    Options
    I have a similar addiction, it also hits me at work, I can eat a whole bag of sweets and literally start shaking form the overdose of sugar, feel like crap and still do it again. It IS an addiction, and it is striking you when you are weak. Can you make a work out plan that leads to a treat of a donut. and if you fall back and have the treat before you meet your goals, then you have to start over. Another strategy, think about why you want to lose this weight, and have some visuals of these reasons, and make yourself go through and look at all these before you go have the treat. A banana in the afternoon can help too.
    But I really empathise, I will likely be posting the same thing in a couple of months so no judgement from here :laugh:
  • voodoomoocow
    voodoomoocow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The more you keep treating yourself to sweets, the more your body is going to want. You really need to cut out sugar from your diet. Allow one day a week for sweets (preferably saturday), and make sure it's reasonable and only to prevent you from binging or cheating during the other 6 days. If a birthday party or work meeting or something happens during the week, simply replace your saturday sugars with whenever you have something happening to prevent the diet suicide. This will prevent you from punishing yourself for eating it, and your body will eventually stop craving the sweets.

I had the same problem with Doritos. I LOVE the spicy nacho ones and could easily eat 2/3rd a large bag in a sitting. I reduced my allowance for it and now I barely crave them anymore. Its all a matter of forming a routine, and making sure you dont ever have it in your home. Hope this helps!
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    This is where you absolutely MUST be prepared. You can make or buy SF treats. Check out the recipe section here. Have some raw veggies ready for those moments, carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, or a piece of fruit with natural sweetness. I have found that SF Werther hard caramels can help in a pinch, or a stick of SF gum. Just don't overdue the Werthers as it can have a laxative effect! If nothing else, get the Calorie King handbook which is small and can be carried everywhere. Once you check out the caloric content of what you are considering as a sweet treat, you may have second thoughts! I hope this information helps.

I almost forgot to add that I had a boss once who allowed himself 3 M & M's each morning and that was it! He had a sweet treat, but not enough to do damage to his diet. It is rough, I agree. I have been a sugar addict my entire life and I am past 70!
  • jodie0520
    jodie0520 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Sugary treats are my weakness too. I've found that Original Gourmet lollipops help. They only have 110ca per sucker and it takes about an hour to work my way through one. Most of the time, by the time I'm 30-45mins in, I'm ready to toss it because I don't want it anymore. Not only does it help to keep my hands busy so that I feel like I'm "eating" more of a snack, but it knocks my sweet tooth out for a few days. Never was a "sucker person" before, but this trick has really helped. Maybe you can keep a stash of emergency treats (mini-candy bars, hard candies, suckers, etc) in a co-workers desk or your car so that they won't be easily accessible, but will be there to get you through if you find yourself counting change for the vending machine.
    Also, if chips do the trick for you, I always suggest potato straws, veggie straws and apple straws by Sensible Portions. 130ca in 38 pieces and they are delicious.

Good luck!!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I'll be bluntly honest...please dont take for being hateful...

This is a situation mind over matter...the matter being what you WANT as your result...so I say to you...to get it through it...

SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP and drive forward.
  • Don't eat sugar for two weeks. No chocolate, candy, granola, only sugar coming from fruit and milk. I tried doing this, and after the two weeks my cravings for sugar were absolutely gone. I rarely eat sugar anymore, it really worked.