Exercise alone or with a buddy?

Options
Just wondering what other people do? What does everyone else prefer?

I can't really find a friend who has the same goals as me so I usually go alone. I have a couple friends for zumba class, but for jogging and the gym it's me, myself and I. I kind of like it though. I can go at my own pace or push myself and not worry about holding back for my partner. But I would like a friend for running events. I think that Is why I haven't signed up for anything yet. But I will be signing up for my town's Turkey Trot 5K, and go by myself :(

Replies

• impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I wish i could find an exercise buddy.. but for the most part i do this alone. Its tough though, when im on the elliptical i need to listen to music which means having a friend next to me would be pointless cause i wouldnt be paying attention to them. however now that im starting the weight training soon i would like someone there oh well
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    I hate going to classes on my own as I feel like a boob but I don't mind going to the gym on my own xx
  • ncole3
    ncole3 Posts: 164
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing well on your own. Sometimes its good, but sometimes not. It all depends on your buddy. Make sure that your buddy is motivated themselves and will help to push you. If you are doing the motivating 80% or more of the time....then they are hindering you more than helping...It's all about choosing the RIGHT exercise buddy.
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I exercise with the kids. If i'm running or biking they are in the trailer. If I am doing a workout at home I wait till they nap. I rather workout alone. I find I push myself harder.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I do both, sometimes with 1 other guy, sometimes just me, i find i push harder with a partner, but take longer chat-rests...........and am done much faster on my own, but often don't push as hard.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I recently joined LA Fitness. They opened up a location near me. So far it's not bad going by myself. If I had someone to go with it could be more interesting. As it is, I go 5-6 days a week. I'm just starting out, so I don't need anyone to motivate me, at this point in time.
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I joined a meetup group where I met a lot of people with the same goals (running mostly) and met a lot of good friends. I'm rarely without a buddy these days and I love it.
  • CraigG75
    CraigG75 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's good to have a buddy to push and sometimes they might get in the way. It does depend on the buddy. I guess you gotta have the right workout buddy.
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The closest I've ever gotten to a workout buddy was my hubby when we first joined gyms, I joined Curves and he joined a full-service gym and I'd drop him off at his, go do my workout then come back. we later joined a different gym together and I'd go do cardio and give him more time to workout. For the most part now tho, it's not that I don't like other people being involved, but I find it's just plain easier to do it on my own terms. if I make plans to go with a coworker (a bunch of us belong to a gym not far from work) and then they back out or are late in getting away from work, it really throws me off. So it's all me! On weekends, we go as a family, but that's different, DH and I do different things after we're done swimming with our daughter :)
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I would adore having someone to do this with, both the exercise and the diet. Because sometimes I just need to be able to talk to someone about it.or look at someone else while I'm doing it and sometimes having that person say "hey you need to do this..." would be such a help!!
  • petitebelmont
    Options
    Just wondering what other people do? What does everyone else prefer?

I can't really find a friend who has the same goals as me so I usually go alone. I have a couple friends for zumba class, but for jogging and the gym it's me, myself and I. I kind of like it though. I can go at my own pace or push myself and not worry about holding back for my partner. But I would like a friend for running events. I think that Is why I haven't signed up for anything yet. But I will be signing up for my town's Turkey Trot 5K, and go by myself :(

I exercise with a buddy, but it took me a long time to find one who actually keeps me accountable. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't work out nearly so often or at as high an intensity as I do.
  • buddy529
    buddy529 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started out going to the gym with my friend because she had similar goals when it came to losing weight, but after about a month she caught a cold and stopped going. It's been about two months now and she still hasn't been back. I got used to going by myself, especially since I'm always listening to music on my MP3.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    my husband, i do have a friend who goes to the gym with me sometimes, but what i would love is a running partner.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I do both! I am more likely to do it if I have someone depending on me though! That said, knowing I have to run with her on Saturday usually motivates me to run during the week so I am not dying on Saturday!
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Alone!
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've always prefered going alone, but that was because all I did was cardio. For the last month I've been going with my husband and he's been teaching me to weight train. I would never have tried that by myself, I've always found the weight area too intimidating. There's hardly ever any girls over there.
  • mlbroad1
    Options
    its hard working out alone i dont have anyone again since my hubby just cant walk much. there are no gyms close and i dont drive anymore so whats next a standard bike is my friend