Hallelujah! Eat more to lose more - 100% converted

Options
2»

Replies

• TonnaJai
    TonnaJai Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I lost 13lbs and hit the wall then I increased my calories and boom the weight started coming off, that 1200 diet isn't for everyone and I don't exercise all the time 3 to 5 times a week, but right now 7. Best Wishes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    This post really hit me tonight. I've been reading many many posts about the pros and cons of upping your calories and I am ONE OF THOSE who is afraid if I increase my calories or even eat my exercise calories I will stop losing....or worse, start gaining. For some reason, this particular post has made me decide that I, too, am going to try it and see what happens. Yup.... I'm scared.... but what the heck! If it helps in the long run, it will be worth it!

Thanks everyone... :happy:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I could manage this. Opinions? I don't get to exercise much

The key is getting enough calories for your size, activity, and exercise level. I work out A LOT! So I need to eat to accordingly. 2000+ cals is not for everyone, esp if you are small and not very active. Its about not undereating. Calculate your activiy levels appropriately and set an appropriate calories deficit (i.e. 1200 cals is not appropriate if you have 10-15 lbs to lose, unless your BMR is really low)

How low is low? My bmr is 1290.I started off at 135, I'm now 120 but haven't lost ANYTHING in 6 weeks. 1200 calories a day, excersizing. It's really really hard because I'm 10 pounds from my goal. I am DEATHLY afraid of upping my calories! :(
  • arispawild
    Options

The key is getting enough calories for your size, activity, and exercise level. I work out A LOT! So I need to eat to accordingly. 2000+ cals is not for everyone, esp if you are small and not very active. Its about not undereating. Calculate your activiy levels appropriately and set an appropriate calories deficit (i.e. 1200 cals is not appropriate if you have 10-15 lbs to lose, unless your BMR is really low)
    I'm around 5'4 1/2 and I'm young. I'm like 166-117 pounds. I mean I lightly active... but I dunno. I'm trying to maintain.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

How low is low? My bmr is 1290.I started off at 135, I'm now 120 but haven't lost ANYTHING in 6 weeks. 1200 calories a day, excersizing. It's really really hard because I'm 10 pounds from my goal. I am DEATHLY afraid of upping my calories! :(

Your BMR is 1290...you multiply that by an activity factor of at least 1.2 (sedentary) and your MINIMUM burn is 1548 a day.

In 6 weeks you've lost nothing while keeping a minimum deficit of 350..more if you get any exercise at all. I'd recommend upping your calories to 1600-1800 a day since you're so close to goal. In addition to that you might want to workout 4-5x a week to burn 300-500 calories a session. Incorporate weights into your regimen and interval training as well because it will elevate your metabolism by increasing the calories you burn post workout (EPOC) and maintain your muscle mass (which burns more calories at rest).
  • arispawild
    Options
    What about me??
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

You are pretty lean. You should try for a deficit that is about 250 or less and you gotta eat your exercise cals. The last ten lbs will always be the hardest. Have you considered switching strength training and cutting inches instead of a reaching a number on the scale?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

I'm around 5'4 1/2 and I'm young. I'm like 166-117 pounds. I mean I lightly active... but I dunno. I'm trying to maintain.

I assume you meant 116 and not 166?? I think you should give 2000 calories a shot. you said you're young...so you have age on your side. You can try it for a month...the most you'd potentially gain is a pound and a half...assuming your maintenance intake is 1800 MINIMUM....30 days of eating in excess by 200 would be less than 2 pounds. It's worth the "risk." I don't think you'll gain on 2000 anyhow...aside from food weight in your stomach that is. You can expect the scale to show a minor gain when you up your calories for that reason alone.
  • hottottie11
    Options

Set your MFP to maintain and be sure to eat your exercise calories. Yor sure maintain your current weight. If you see consistent weight loss or gain (not daily fluctuations, but a consistent loss or gain over a period of time), adjust your calories according.
  • hottottie11
    Options

I assume you meant 116 and not 166?? I think you should give 2000 calories a shot. you said you're young...so you have age on your side. You can try it for a month...the most you'd potentially gain is a pound and a half...assuming your maintenance intake is 1800 MINIMUM....30 days of eating in excess by 200 would be less than 2 pounds. It's worth the "risk." I don't think you'll gain on 2000 anyhow...aside from food weight in your stomach that is. You can expect the scale to show a minor gain when you up your calories for that reason alone.

^^what she said lol
  • arispawild
    Options

^^what she said lol
    Yeah I meant 116, haha. I think I shall try!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm trying the 30 day shred and incorporating more strength. :) but GD I'm 28% body fat at 120 pounds... I just want to lose the fat.. Its just so hard to consider eating more... I'm so afraid of gaining!

You are pretty lean. You should try for a deficit that is about 250 or less and you gotta eat your exercise cals. The last ten lbs will always be the hardest. Have you considered switching strength training and cutting inches instead of a reaching a number on the scale?
  • Ifly4free
    Ifly4free Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bump....Just saving for reference!

Thanks,

Tracy
  • hottottie11
    Options
    The key to dropping the body fat is increasing your stregnth training (lift heavy) and having a smaller calorie deficit. Larger the deficit, the higher the likelihood you will burn both fat and muscle.You don't want that. You want to minimize muscle burn at all cost. I'm doing something similar. I'm 24% BF and I was to get to 19 to 20%. I only have a deficit of 250 calories and I eat back my exercise calories. Also, make sure you take in 1g protein/1lb lean body mass. This will all help in reducing BF while maintaining muscle.

This won't happen fast. I have 9lbs of fat to lose and I think it'll take until feb for me to reach my goals.
    I'm trying the 30 day shred and incorporating more strength. :) but GD I'm 28% body fat at 120 pounds... I just want to lose the fat.. Its just so hard to consider eating more... I'm so afraid of gaining!

• Miggy52
    Miggy52 Posts: 164
    Options
    bump
  • happy_travels
    happy_travels Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mrsjacksn
    mrsjacksn Posts: 113
    Options
    bump