what are "good for you" carb foods

Options
do you even NEED carbs?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    you don't need carbs, although many people operate better when eating them. that being said the good for you carbs are ones that you like, i prefer pasta, potatoes, ice cream etc
  • adtrevors
    adtrevors Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    do you even NEED carbs?

well, technically you need glucose, but I believe your body can produce that from protein and ketones. The rest can be made up of carbs from fruits and veggies. I'd disagree with pasta and ice cream being good sources of carbohydrate. I'd shoot for roots and tubers like sweet potato, yams, taro,etc

Pasta, especially from wheat is made up of primarily amylopectin-A which converts too quickly to glucose, and ice cream (full fat is better if you really want to) contains a lot of dairy proteins which we can't break down and may irritate the gut. Ditto with the protein in wheat (gliadin). Gluten intolerance is a lot more common than you would think, even if you don't show the classic 'celiac' symptoms you can still be intolerant (get bloaty or gassy after consuming it?)
  • shannon8880
    Options
    Yes you do need carbs..low cal. carb diets are ok if your not very active...if you are then the carbs (WHOLE GRAIN HIGH FIBER) is what will get you through your workouts. Carbs also help to transfer the nutrient and protine to throughout your body to were it needs to be! If your body gos to long without any carbs, you brain cells will start to die! Don't forget not all carbs are grains...you can get them from vegtables too. Cabbage is great..its a carb and also a zero calorie food...one of the worlds most healty foods..it is full of fiber and is slow burning , so it will fill you up and keep hunger away. great in stirfrys. Hope this helps.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Yes you do need carbs..low cal. carb diets are ok if your not very active...if you are then the carbs (WHOLE GRAIN HIGH FIBER) is what will get you through your workouts. Carbs also help to transfer the nutrient and protine to throughout your body to were it needs to be! If your body gos to long with any carbs, you brain cells will start to die! Don't forget not all carbs are grains...you can get them from vegtables too. Cabbage is great..its a carb and also a zero calorie food...one of the worlds most healty foods..it is full of fiber and is slow burning , so it will fill you up and keep hunger away. great in stirfrys. Hope this helps.

::face palm::
  • adtrevors
    Options
    Yes you do need carbs..low cal. carb diets are ok if your not very active...if you are then the carbs (WHOLE GRAIN HIGH FIBER) is what will get you through your workouts. Carbs also help to transfer the nutrient and protine to throughout your body to were it needs to be! If your body gos to long with any carbs, you brain cells will start to die! Don't forget not all carbs are grains...you can get them from vegtables too. Cabbage is great..its a carb and also a zero calorie food...one of the worlds most healty foods..it is full of fiber and is slow burning , so it will fill you up and keep hunger away. great in stirfrys. Hope this helps.

::face palm::

double face palm.
  • roxypoptart
    roxypoptart Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    so u can get carbs from fruit and veggies you dont have to eat bread and pasta? or rice? how to you get rid you the belly bloat?
  • adtrevors
    Options
    so u can get carbs from fruit and veggies you dont have to eat bread and pasta? or rice? how to you get rid you the belly bloat?

If you are bloated it could be excess gas or inflammation from gut irritation. There are lots of possible issues. Bread, pasta, and rice are some of the biggest offenders (as are most grains) alongside dairy. Try removing them for a period and seeing how you feel. If its too much gas it could be b/c you are not properly digesting your food and its making its way into the far end of your small intestine where bacteria are feasting on it (and not the good bacteria either most times as poor digestion can promote bacterial overgrowth). If this is the case, and removing those foods doesn't work, you may need a probiotic or may even need to try something like the GAPS diet where you essentially try to starve the little buggers to death (they love their carbs!)
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I would opt for grains such as quinoa, millet, spelt and sprouted breads as these have no added sugar in them and won't effect your blood sugars in a bad way, but still have the good carbs you need for energy and combined with protein will help keep you feeling full longer. Whereas whole wheat breads and most pastas have added sugar. Too much sugar can effect your weight loss efforts as well as not getting the right combination of macros.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I need sweet potatoes, specifically japanese ones and I'll die if I dont get them, because they're so gosh darn delicious, especially smothered with fat....and they're a carb. So I guess yes, I need carbs. But only those. The rest I'll take meat and fat please.