breaking up my walks

Options
It is hard to get an hour or more to walk dailey, so I have been breaking it up. I walk half an hour befor work, 1/2 hour or more after work, and try to always get a minimum 20 minute lunch walk. Am I wasting my time if I can't get a good hour or more in. I know I feel better, just for the effort..mentally, but I am not sure I am doing anything really to loose weight

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Nope! It all counts-- and in fact, I've read that your ways is actually better because you keep metabolizing at a faster rate for a while after you get your heart rate up. . . so if you're doing it 3 times per day, you're getting that much more afterburn. It's also better for your joints to break things up.
  • Jw9576
    Jw9576 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I often break up my walks too ( 30 minutes in the am and 30 minutes at night )
    I think the more important question is, how much calories you are exerting. Do you walk slowly? Moderate?
    The way I gauge mine is to keep my heart rate up to 155 bpm ( yours may be different depending on age/weight, etc )
    and the way I can do this is to keep at a steady 4.5 - 4.9 mph
    Since I do my walks/jogs on the treadmill I can adjust accordingly.
    I would suggest getting a good HRM to keep track.
    I know for me, I can walk 5 miles and if I am only doing a slow stroll ( 2-3 mph ) it doesn't do anything for me,
    Good luck!