Leg Length Difference - Please Read

Options
I need some help. I'm looking for people with leg length discrepancies, or different leg lengths. I have perthes, a disease within the hip, and I have developed a deformed hip bone and hip socket. Because of this, my right leg is an inch shorter than my left leg. It has been this way for about 10 years and it has changed the way my body shape has developed. Now that I'm losing weight and really worrying about how I look, I cant help but think ill never have the body I so badly want because my body isn't in correct alignment. When I look in the mirror, standing flat footed, my hips are all out of wack and it throws the whole balance of my body off.

My point: does anyone out there have a similar problem? And if so, how did everything turn out when you finally got into shape? Pictures would be awesome, but ill trust what you say as well. I know everyone is different, but that doesn't mean some of us arent the same.

Replies

• Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I don't have perthes disease, but I have issues with my alignment sometimes. I go to a chiropractor to get adjusted (when I can afford to) and that usually evens me out completely (or nearly completely.) But like right now, I haven't been to the chiropractor in about a year and my legs are different lengths. Not sure how much of a difference it is, but I can definitely tell when I walk or stand up straight. I seriously doubt it will affect how you look that much, if at all, once you've gotten into shape. If at all, it won't be noticeable to anyone but you, I promise. :)
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that fitter always looks better, no matter what else is going on. :)

If you get a pair of custom shoes to compensate for the height difference, I bet a lot of the alignment damage can be healed. There is usually a custom orthotic shoemaker in any medium to large city. I worked with an orthotic shoemaker once, who built custom boots for a gentleman whose foot was *sideways*, and that gentleman walked out of the store happy as can be.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to say this, but your post made me smile a little bit.. My boyfriend has the same problem so I'm glad he's not alone. However, all I've got to say won't be very encouraging.. So be VERY careful of the exercises you do. (My boyfriend is in the Marine Corps so he is constantly having to work it, and it has been giving him a lot of problems.)
  • lumilowlander
    lumilowlander Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    After I was hit by a car and broke my pelvis on my right side, I noticed that my right leg is now shorter than my left. People have never really noticed it - they tend to notice that I walk funny more than anything else.

Also, I once had a co-worker that had to wear special shoes because of the difference in length of her legs. It was something that one did notice from far away, but only because of her shoes.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If you get a pair of custom shoes to compensate for the height difference, I bet a lot of the alignment damage can be healed.

If you do something like this, don't make a huge adjustment right away. Change the height of an orthodic in small increments so your body begins to adjust. (Again, something the Marines did.. They gave him a corrected boot and it made him hurt even worse.)
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you get a pair of custom shoes to compensate for the height difference, I bet a lot of the alignment damage can be healed.

If you do something like this, don't make a huge adjustment right away. Change the height of an orthodic in small increments so your body begins to adjust. (Again, something the Marines did.. They gave him a corrected boot and it made him hurt even worse.)

That's true. Changing your body mechanic too fast will painfully overwork some muscles and joints. But, if you are able to get into a place where your spine is straight when you walk and stand, then you could avoid a lot of back problems that will come up in a few years if they haven't already.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that fitter always looks better, no matter what else is going on. :)

If you get a pair of custom shoes to compensate for the height difference, I bet a lot of the alignment damage can be healed. There is usually a custom orthotic shoemaker in any medium to large city. I worked with an orthotic shoemaker once, who built custom boots for a gentleman whose foot was *sideways*, and that gentleman walked out of the store happy as can be.

^^^^^ THIS . . . I have a brother that has legs that are different lengths. . he corrective shoes to compensate for the height difference. . it works great.
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    one leg is shorter because i use one leg more, apparently according to my mom. I have Spina Bifida so that may be another reason?! I just make do with it.... Ive been trying to use the other leg (the one thats shorter more) but its hard lol
  • SMK715
    SMK715 Posts: 108
    Options
    I got my first pair of corrective shoes last year and I was thoroughly disappointed with them. I chose a bad shoe, but side from the comfort level I just felt embarrassed while wearing them. I'm working on trying to find a different place to make my next pair. I'm hoping they are better at making them look a little more discrete. Haven't current length legs sucks. Looking in the mirror is hard because my left hip is raised over my right, and it makes other parts of my body look bad. I finally started feeling better about myself then I had my 3rd major surgery in 3 years. The recovery sucks and I just want to get back to working out so I can't see my problems go away again. Im just not going to worry about it until I'm happy with my weight. Then ill focus on other issues. Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate them all.