Good Cardio Exercises???

Options
:smile: Ok, well i know that i should be eating 1200 calories a day and burning off eight hundred and...........something, but i was mainly wondering what type of cardio exercises should i do to help me burn more calories and for how long? If anyone has any that they are doing now or have done to help them, then i would appreciate some sharing, thank you

Replies

• Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    800 a day seems pretty high to me lol. But, some cardio I like to do is running (It's the best for burning calories fast), biking and swimming. My favorite to actually do is the rowing machine but I don't have access to one at the moment.
  • inufan4evar
    inufan4evar Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Lol oops sorry i ment to say 820 a week lol. But ok yeah i could probably try running although it hurts my chest after the first minute or two haha. How have you been losing weight so far? And what have you been eating exactly if you don't mind my asking?
  • inufan4evar
    Options
    Lol oops sorry i ment to say 820 a week lol. But ok yeah i could probably try running although it hurts my chest after the first minute or two haha. How have you been losing weight so far? And what have you been eating exactly if you don't mind my asking?
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Options
    You could start off walking or do the other things to build up stamina. I hate running w/ a passion but it's the one thing I know for sure works for me. I also find that resistance and weight training REALLY helps me lose weight faster than just cardio alone.

You can look at my food diary to see what kinds of things I eat if you'd like. I haven't been very good the past few days lol. Even when I eat the "bad" things, however, I try to make sure they are homemade so I know what exactly is in them and I eat a lot of fruit generally.
  • belbel79
    Options
    Takes time to get up to actual running.. well it did for me and i still can only manage about 10-15 minutes before I need to walk for 1 minute in recovery.. My chest used to feel like it was going to explode! It geats easier the fitter you become. I try to do 40 minutes of a combination of jogging and walking every day.
    To vary my cardio (or when it is raining or too hot out) I skip/jump rope - burns HEAPS or calories according to the exercise thingy here.. 15 minutes just about kills me but combined with riding the exercise bike or a short brisk walk or jog it sees me burning enough calories for me to eat enough back to feel full.
    Running up and down a step or doing an exercise dvd works well too - anything that gets your heart rate up and makes you sweat is good for you :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    everyone is different. I started with walking. then moved up to jogging after a few months, then swimming and Zumba. I also been recently dabbling with this excercise bike that has a video screen so it feels more like a video game. even has handle bars that you turn and makes your rider turn too. overall there isn't 1 best or good cardio excercise. in my opinion the best one is one you enjoy and will stick to in the long run.

one more thing, if you decide to get into walk/jogging/running PLEASE invest in a good pair of shoes designed for such a thing. your feet and body will thank you. I started jogging @ 440 lbs. and I give full credit to doing my research and getting the right kind of shoe for my size, foot and gait type.
  • inufan4evar
    Options
    Ok thank you mynue. :) And this will sound really dumb of me but what is weight training?
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Intervals on any machine...walk 3 mins run 1 min...work your way up to running longer that walking. Intervals burn more cals than running/biking/stepping at a steady pace. Incorporate strength training into your workouts, after burn effect. You burn cals at a higher rate throughout the day after a strength training session. As opposed to cardio where you stop burnin cals at a high rate once cardio is over. But one is not good without the other, burn the fat build the muscle. Like babies crawl before they walk we gotta work our way up. No matter just stick it out...b2bb baybeee!!
  • inufan4evar
    Options
    Ok i will consider those as well, thank you :)
  • inufan4evar
    Options
    Ok thank you for that tip as well, but what is strength training? Will it make me gain alot of bulky muscle because i want to lose fat and be very lean :)
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Options
    Strength/weight training is lifting weights or using your own body weight to build strength. You won't get bulky unless you want to and that won't come until much later and lifting heavy weights. Building muscle is going to boost your metabolism and allow you to burn more calories throughout the day.

A lot of people seem to be worried about getting really bulky with weight training but trust me, you can't get there by accident lol.
  • inufan4evar
    Options
    Oh i see, lol. So if i do really light weights then i won't get that bulky look or that bodybuilder look? lol
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Options
    Lighter than they would use but they should still be heavy to you lol. You should feel the burn and want to give up around the 8th rep of a 10 rep set. If you don't, the weight is too light. You can also start off w/ no weight and just do the strength moves until you build up some muscle.

Edit:

Here are some good beginner exercises to look into

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/lose-weight/build-strength/strength-training-for-beginners/
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/exbeginners/a/begstrength1.htm

Hope this helps :)
  • inufan4evar
    Options
    L ok thank you for those. :) And ive actually already got plenty of muscle, i'm just mainly trying to get rid of the body fat that i have around my belly and arms and especially my thighs lol
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of incline for me! So I am not having to run but still burning more calories, it's less impact on the ankles etc. I highly recommend it. Start with 4% and work up. I go 10% for about 45 minutes and burn 500+ calories.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Boxing is meant to be a good cardio exercise, I saw it on a program recently but can't remember whether they said it was 500 calories burned for half an hour or an hour.

I used to burn loads of calories in Karate many years ago when I could do it, especially in the end session where you actually fight with someone, though the training sessions were pretty intensive too, never had any weight issues when I was doing Karate twice a week!

Alot of people enjoy Kick Boxing too if you prefer something different to running on a treadmill for an hour or so.